Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ankit_sharma03

Sanju Samson fails yo-yo test, ruled out of India A’s England tour

Recommended Posts

Sanju Samson’s career has taken another twist after he got ruled out of India ‘A’ tour of England on Sunday (June 10). Samson failed to clear the Yo-Yo endurance Test and consequently the BCCI announced that the Kerala batsman cannot travel to England.

As per a report published in the Mumbai Mirror on Monday (June 11), Sanju Samson's score in the Yo-Yo test was way short of the prescribed 16.1 benchmark. The India ‘A’ side led by Shreyas Iyer heads off to London from Delhi on Sunday, but Samson was left behind owing to the unsatisfactory score in Yo-Yo test.

Samson had a stellar IPL 2018 campaign for Rajasthan Royals, scoring 441 runs from 15 innings and was the second highest run-getter for the Rajasthan Royals after Jos Buttler (548 runs in 13 innings).

Sanju was part of the 16-men India ‘A’ squad which will take part in a triangular series involving hosts England Lions and West Indies 'A'. The ODI tri-series will commence on June 22, while India ‘A’ will play two warm-up games against Yorkshire and Leicestershire on June 17 and June 19 respectively.

Subsequently, India 'A' will feature in a four-day game against England ‘A’ from July 16 at Worcester besides a couple of three-day games against county sides. Samson was not picked for the four-day matches. Karun Nair will lead the India ‘A’ Test side and the designated wicketkeeper in that squad is KS Bharat.

 

Link - https://circleofcricket.com/category/Latest_news/22690/young-india-player-fails-yo-yo-test-ruled-out-of-india-as-england-tour

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He looked very athletic in IPL, took a great catch as well IIRC. I think yo-yo mainly tests endurance, that is why Ashwin and some of the quicks score well. 

Even then these guys shouldn't be failing endurance test. If this is the case when they are young and growing what will happen in 30 if they don't improve now.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Even then these guys shouldn't be failing endurance test. If this is the case when they are young and growing what will happen in 30 if they don't improve now.

I am not sure but I remember reading a tennis article which suggested that endurance peaks at a later age, at >25 years IIRC. Incidentally throughout cricket history we have seen that test quicks peak at the age of 26-30 and fast bowling in 5 day format is the ultimate test of endurance. 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I am not sure but I remember reading a tennis article which suggested that endurance peaks at a later age, at >25 years IIRC. Incidentally throughout cricket history we have seen that test quicks peak at the age of 26-30 and fast bowling in 5 day format is the ultimate test of endurance. 

IIRC cut off score is lower for Indian team

Share this post


Link to post

Seriously this Yo-yo crap is not fit for purpose in Cricket. I would rather have a test which scores how many slip catches one is able to take, will be more fit for purpose in actually improving something in team.

 

If we are saying young guys (teens and early 20s) can't score as much because of age, how is it a fair test? The test needs to have a different score requirement dependant on age if it is to make any sense. Otherwise it will be only a tool used to keep youngsters out of senior team.

Edited by Forever Indian

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Will Sachin Tendulkar Clear Yo-Yo test in his prime?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 

 

he might have topped it among his peers ..

in my observation guys who score more in yo-yo are super fast in running between the wickets , kohli , dhoni , pandeyji etc

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

What makes you think so?

 

They would have cleared yo yo test easily. Required score is 16 and not 20.

raina has failed, he was one the fittest guys

they werent atheletic , least of ganguly n laxman and even sehwag

Their diet wasnt gr8 . For bowlers this test is easy so nehra,ashwin clears it but for batsman its a lil difficult. 

 

always felt with them had they had the fitness of kohli they wud have taken their game to another level. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, velu said:

 

he might have topped it among his peers ..

in my observation guys who score more in yo-yo are super fast in running between the wickets , kohli , dhoni , pandeyji etc

yup tendulkar was good runnning between wkts but so was raina 

Just feel even tendulkar wudnt have cleared 16 

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yup tendulkar was good runnning between wkts but so was raina 

Just feel even tendulkar wudnt have cleared 16 

You are saying as if 16 is something with very few can do. 

 

16 is easy and that's why only 1-2 fail. You will surprised how many athletes clear 16 even at lower level.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

raina has failed, he was one the fittest guys

they werent atheletic , least of ganguly n laxman and even sehwag

Their diet wasnt gr8 . For bowlers this test is easy so nehra,ashwin clears it but for batsman its a lil difficult. 

 

always felt with them had they had the fitness of kohli they wud have taken their game to another level. 

 

What extra could they achieve with fitness of Kohli? Better ground Fielding?

 

They were better catcher than Kohli.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

What extra could they achieve with fitness of Kohli? Better ground Fielding?

 

They were better catcher than Kohli.

Their is no end to achievement. They as a team cud have achieved more and none better examples then aussies. A team full of 30+ and were so good on field. They did really well in their career doesnt mean they cudnt have done more. M not blaming them it was not in our culture but thats what seprated australia, south africa from us

 

ground fielding, better running (not incase of tendulkar)

Sehwag wud have had few more yrs in his career

Ganguly in his last yrs faced the problem of dip in s/r which dhoni is also facing but he is a gr8 runner so somehow finds his way out

 

Ofcourse they were better catcher, but their is another thing called ground fielding . 

 

17 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

What extra could they achieve with fitness of Kohli? Better ground Fielding?

 

They were better catcher than Kohli.

i knw thats not a high benchmark, but tendulkar was not into to much fitness so i doubt he wud have cleared 16 to and others like sehwag , laxman, ganguly wudnt havent for sure  


 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

 

 

i knw thats not a high benchmark, but tendulkar was not into to much fitness so i doubt he wud have cleared 16 to and others like sehwag , laxman, ganguly wudnt havent for sure  


 

16 is unfit boundary. They weren't fitness freaks, but they were not unfit either.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

what is yoy yo test?

 

 is any one an expert , can some one explain..i understand it is more of a run test between two marks and one has to do some 8 to 10 rounds in a stipulated time , if one cannot do in that time he scores less.

 

 

You have run between 2 points back an forth. Initially time required to do cover the distance will be very high, so you can jog to that distance. Time will keep on decreasing gradually with next rounds and you have increase your pace accordingly. Score is point when you fail to do so.

 

It's improved version of what we did in school. How did you test whether a person fit - ask him to run 4 times around the ground. But in that person will choose to run faster at some time and slower at some other other. It's completely upto him.

 

Here you have to run similar distances, only change is that process is fixed and you can't choose speeds. You have to increase your pace gradually and remain fast enough after say 2 km to cover the same at faster speed. 

 

Seeing a person diving to catch a ball, or running hard near boundary will have nothing to do with the test. You can be very quick, but if you can do that only for 5 mins, then you can't pass the test.

 

It makes more sense for test players who are more used to surviving for long hours and anyone who loses steam quickly can't pass the test and can't be considered fit for test cricket. 

 

You don't have to be super fit to pass the test, it's endurance test, not test of your agility, max speed or anything like that. High scoring players are more likely to be very quick between wickets as they can only survive the reduced time at later stages, but even the players who run fast between wicket can fail the test.

 

Player A - can run at 20 kmph for 20 yards

Player B can run at 23 kmph for 20 yards

 

Player A can run at 18 kph after running 1000 m of jogging

Player B can run at max 13 kph after 1000 m of jogging

 

Although B is faster but still more likely to fail the test.

 

______________________________________________________________

 

If a cricketer who can't clear yo yo test plays a test match then he is likely to get tired after scoring 40-50 runs and is unlikely to have energy to score centuries. He may still pull off a blinder at boundary - but that's completely different thing.

 

A bowler who fails yo yo test is likely to lose all pace and and steam afterr 3-4 spells.

 

Becomes more crucial for test cricket than any other format.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

what's the distance covered during these yoyo tests? And what's the total time duration of these tests? 

 

In my opinion such tests are good for sports like basketball where your're pacing continuously back and forth  in speed bursts...even we had such fitness  tests called 'suicides' when trying out for the basketball. Cricket has too many variations for it to be a good test i.e fielding, bowling fast/spin, batting.  They should adapt it to fit the fitness required for cricket instead of just copying from other sports.

Edited by PBN

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, PBN said:

what's the distance covered during these yoyo tests? And what's the total time duration of these tests? 

 

In my opinion such tests are good for sports like basketball where your're pacing continuously back and forth  in speed bursts...even we had such fitness  tests called 'suicides' when trying out for the basketball. Cricket has too many variations for it to be a good test i.e fielding, bowling fast/spin, batting.  They should adapt it to fit the fitness required for cricket instead of just copying from other sports.

Even NBA teams have realized these tests' futility and no longer take them :

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/even-nba-teams-dont-use-yo-yo-test-boden-westover-director-of-marketing-at-catapult-sports-5200751/

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

What makes you think so?

 

They would have cleared yo yo test easily. Required score is 16 and not 20.

Even 16 isnt easy. Yo Yo test is a complicated test. First timers will find it hard. Sundar failed first time and then soon after he cleared it. Does it mean Sundar improved his fitness in just a month or two drastically. No. It just practiced the test and got used to it. 

Edited by rkt.india

Share this post


Link to post

We will go back to donkeys era if we don't take it seriously. This is their profession and they get paid for it. How hard is it to keep themselves fit? Ashwin, Pujara, I cringe whenever I see them fielding. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Lannister said:

We will go back to donkeys era if we don't take it seriously. This is their profession and they get paid for it. How hard is it to keep themselves fit? Ashwin, Pujara, I cringe whenever I see them fielding. 

And Ashwin and pujara both cleared yo yo.

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Even 16 isnt easy. Yo Yo test is a complicated test. First timers will find it hard. Sundar failed first time and then soon after he cleared it. Does it mean Sundar improved his fitness in just a month or two drastically. No. It just practiced the test and got used to it. 

Even if they had practiced running long distances properly they could have cleared the test.

 

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Even if they had practiced running long distances properly they could have cleared the test.

 

Do you think they dont practice running? They all do but Yo Yo is a technical test and one needs to understand the technique even if you are fit. Otherwise tell me how Sundar failed it first time and then cleared it 15 days later. cant be that he improved his fitness drastically in 15 days.

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Both of them can bowl and bat whole day in tests.

Samson is fitter and more athletic than both these two.  he took the best catch taken by an Indian in IPL on par with Pandey's catch. he could not take that catch without being athletic and good fitness.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Do you think they dont practice running? They all do but Yo Yo is a technical test and one needs to understand the technique even if you are fit. Otherwise tell me how Sundar failed it first time and then cleared it 15 days later. cant be that he improved his fitness drastically in 15 days.

15 days are enough for improving on that part.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

 Samson is fitter and more athletic than both these two.  he took the best catch taken by an Indian in IPL on par with Pandey's catch. he could not take that catch without being athletic and good fitness.

How does diving and running fast indicate that you can sustain it for long time?

 

It's saying like Usain Bolt will beat marathon runners.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

How does diving and running fast indicate that you can sustain it for long time?

 

It's saying like Usain Bolt will beat marathon runners.

but it also does not mean he is unfit.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×