WIMBLEDON 2018 discussion (and grass tune ups)

Dil Dil India

Could a mod sticky this please till the end of Wimbledon?

Grass season is on us again. Federer is scheduled to play Stuttgart starting from tomorrow. Novak has taken a Wild Card to Queens - a really stacked field. Nadal isn't playing Queens from what I read. Should be an interesting season with the GOAT debate and slam race heating up. 

Can Federer get the slam difference back to 4? Or will Nadal do the unthinkable and snatch a 3rd crown at SW19 after 8 years, reducing the gap to 2? Will it be Novak with a resurgence? Or can one of the younger players finally step up? Zverev? Thiem? Nick? Shapovalov?

13 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

Fed to be #1 if he reaches round 3 of stuttgart

Are you sure this is correct? From what I read he needs to reach the final. He is approx 100 points behind Nadal and Stuttgart is a 250.

13 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

Have a strong feeling fed will retire at the end of this Wimbledon.

Definitely not. He wants that slam record. He's defending champion at AO. There's no way he will retire aside from a debilitating injury or something of that sort.

6 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Queen looks too stacked. Makes Halle look like a 250 in comparison. Which is ironic because Halle is the most likely to be promoted to a grass masters event in the future.

No, I don't think Halle will get the nod ahead of Queens. I am skeptical about them having a grass masters anytime soon, but if it does happen it is likely to be Queens with it being in the UK and all that.

1 hour ago, Dil Dil India said:

No, I don't think Halle will get the nod ahead of Queens. I am skeptical about them having a grass masters anytime soon, but if it does happen it is likely to be Queens with it being in the UK and all that.

I don't think it will be good for the tour if atp finals,wimbledon,and a master title all held in London. There will be too many complaints. Plus I think Queens doesn't have the parking space plus the facilities that a master's event has. Halle is much bigger with more parking. Plus Germany being one of the biggest tennis nations deserve a master's event. They have been robbed of one ever since Hamburg got degraded to a 500 and Stuttgart got removed. A Masters event in Germany will generate a lot of revenue and popularity. The only advantage Queens has is it is more older and prestigious.

Also, Gunneswaran(#169) defeats Shapavolav in his first ATP main draw event. If he wins his next match he will face federer in the quarter final.

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

I don't think it will be good for the tour if atp finals,wimbledon,and a master title all held in London. There will be too many complaints. Plus I think Queens doesn't have the parking space plus the facilities that a master's event has. Halle is much bigger with more parking. Plus Germany being one of the biggest tennis nations deserve a master's event. They have been robbed of one ever since Hamburg got degraded to a 500 and Stuttgart got removed. A Masters event in Germany will generate a lot of revenue and popularity. The only advantage Queens has is it is more older and prestigious.

Also, Gunneswaran(#169) defeats Shapavolav in his first ATP main draw event. If he wins his next match he will face federer in the quarter final.

I am pretty ambivalent wrt grass masters now tbh; if it had happened 12 years ago, Federer would have likely had the masters record as well. I agree with you in that Halle should get it over Queens...London shouldn't have a slam, YEC and a masters, but the last line of your post is why it'll probably get the nod...older and more prestigious. I don't think YEC will be a permanent feature in London though.

Yes, saw the Gunneswaran result. He needs to beat Pella now to face Federer. Would be nice to have an Indian face in singles for once!

1 hour ago, Dil Dil India said:

I am pretty ambivalent wrt grass masters now tbh; if it had happened 12 years ago, Federer would have likely had the masters record as well. I agree with you in that Halle should get it over Queens...London shouldn't have a slam, YEC and a masters, but the last line of your post is why it'll probably get the nod...older and more prestigious. I don't think YEC will be a permanent feature in London though.

Yes, saw the Gunneswaran result. He needs to beat Pella now to face Federer. Would be nice to have an Indian face in singles for once!

Yea but it jus wouldn't make sense for the ATP to organise a masters on the same city and same surface of a GS just a week before it. I don't think anyway the  infrastructure will allow it for promotion. Yea, I agree by the time a grass masters is added federer will have probably retired. He wouldve had around 35+ masters right now had it been added long ago. The lack of a decent grass season and removal of carpet courts, slowing down of surfaces have really reduced the variance of the tour. It's only because we were perhaps in the strongest tennis era of all time the last decade of so, which has made for the lack of variety in the tour schedule.

As for Indian tennis, I agree but I don't think Gunneswaran will be the one. He's 28 now. 

44 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Yea but it jus wouldn't make sense for the ATP to organise a masters on the same city and same surface of a GS just a week before it. I don't think anyway the  infrastructure will allow it for promotion. Yea, I agree by the time a grass masters is added federer will have probably retired. He wouldve had around 35+ masters right now had it been added long ago. The lack of a decent grass season and removal of carpet courts, slowing down of surfaces have really reduced the variance of the tour. It's only because we were perhaps in the strongest tennis era of all time the last decade of so, which has made for the lack of variety in the tour schedule.

As for Indian tennis, I agree but I don't think Gunneswaran will be the one. He's 28 now. 

Oh I just meant the main draw of Stuttgart wrt Gunneswaran. I don't think he'll do much given his age as you rightly mention. It just feels good to see the Indian flag next to a name in a main ATP draw for once!!!

55 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Oh I just meant the main draw of Stuttgart wrt Gunneswaran. I don't think he'll do much given his age as you rightly mention. It just feels good to see the Indian flag next to a name in a main ATP draw for once!!!

Yea it would be nice for an Indian to make the semis of a major tournament at least. For the last few years or so it's been first round or second round at best with the odd quarter finals at a 250 or 500.