Does India Need a Caste-based Quota in Cricket?

27 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

They did it in SA in a different form. Quotas in India cannot be wished away with the type of politicians we have in India. I tell my folks you all will leave the country, there is no future for them there. It is just a matter of time, 5 years or 500 years depends on their patience and opportunity.

No.
Talent and performance should be the only criterias.
Plus we already have Bunty Sajdeh, Bombay Lobby, CSK quota at work.
Caste based reservation will complicate the matter.
Infact, racial based quota has ruined SA cricket to some degree.
And there might be a racial argument that Negroid people are genetically more attuned to sports (which is true btw) but can't say the same for Dalits.

But What I have generally seen is , kids from poor background(I was not aware of caste stuff back then, pardon me) generally tended to be better at sports.
Not that rich kids were bad, but kids from poor economic backgrounds were more driven and hardworking.

Also , one point to be noted:
Selection policies were often biased in favour of kids coming from an high economics status , but it was not necessarily caste based.
However , most of the old money, influential families are High caste .
So naturally it is hard for somebody with less monetary prowess and family background to make it big.
But yeah, they don't necessarily judge you on your caste.

A lot of poor , talented kids have also made it big.
This is about CAB.
I don't know about other cricket assosciations.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Quota system is a always gonna fail. How about doing quota system for applicants for medical school :fear1:. Coming back to the article, this seems to me a leftist rag, which is not good for the minorities forget the majority. BCCI will never budge to these articles no matter how serious they may seem. BCCI is interested in making money which requires quality cricket. And BCCI is a private enterprise. So boo hoo

Upper caste men dominated our cricket till recently and that is why we were softies.Now as more and more people from rural areas joining the sport, we get tougher and faster players.
Yeah rural people tends to be more hardy.
Infact, the general consensus over where I live is that tribal people are more physically adept(due to their lifestyle) than us.

Take this part for example from the article

Comments from cricketers and noted commentators like Harsha Bhogle stating that players do not know each others’ caste, also shows how the notion of being a “post-caste” society in fact makes caste oppression worse in some ways. It is more difficult to pinpoint the discrimination, to talk about it and to address it, even though it is undeniable that such discrimination continues to occur. Cricket is a great example for what is happening across the country, especially in urban areas.

Basically the author says players should know caste of other players to eliminate discrimination. Are you freaking kidding me.

Bas yahi hone ko baaki hai :facepalm:. Our archery team is mostly represented by lower caste sportspeople, what about that? In hockey also many adivasis from Odisha, Jharkhand and Chattisgarh are doing well. If lower caste people aren't consistently breaking into top tier cricket isn't it possible that they genuinely prefer other sports? Another prominent example: North East folk are athletically the most gifted people of our country yet not a single cricketer of note has been produced by this region. EPW is a radical left wing ragtag which needs to be scoffed at, not taken seriously.  

Edited by Gollum

I think there is a genuine city-small town-rural divide in Indian cricket though things are improving on that front. Traditionally our players have been from 6-8 of the big cities but in the last few years there is a perceptible change, I think Dhoni might have something to do with small town ambitions soaring, even selectors (largely based in big academies in cities) are slowly waking up to the fact that they aren't tapping our full potential in terms of discovering talent. Indian cricket needs another Dhoni but this time he must be from some random decrepit village. 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I think there is a genuine city-small town-rural divide in Indian cricket though things are improving on that front. Traditionally our players have been from 6-8 of the big cities but in the last few years there is a perceptible change, I think Dhoni might have something to do with small town ambitions soaring, even selectors (largely based in big academies in cities) are slowly waking up to the fact that they aren't tapping our full potential in terms of discovering talent. Indian cricket needs another Dhoni but this time he must be from some random decrepit village. 

If there is one thing they have to get rid of that is nepotism. Ambati Rayudu vs Shivlal yadav's son tussle was a classic example.

Bas yahi hone ko baaki hai :facepalm:. Our archery team is mostly represented by lower caste sportspeople, what about that? In hockey also many adivasis from Odisha, Jharkhand and Chattisgarh are doing well. If lower caste people aren't breaking into the top level cricket isn't it possible that they genuinely prefer other sports? Another prominent example: North East folk are athletically the most gifted people of our country yet not a single cricketer of note has been produced by this region. EPW is a radical left ragtag which needs to be scoffed at, not taken seriously.  

I am part tribal myself(From Tura, Meghlaya) on my father's side - also interact with many tribal people on regular basis+ know lot of people in the social service line.
What I am finding out is that most of the marginalised (education and economic status wise) people like tribals tend to find Cricket a very complex sport in the first place
There are different types of deliveries, different type of stroke making and different types of pitches.
I am not saying tribal people are dumb- many of them are very intelligent ,but they find Cricket too tough to understand.
Also The cost factor.
Cricket is a very very expensive game.
Especially when sports like athletics ,football are way more cost effective and easy to understand- why will they go for cricket?

A lot of lower caste people I know has done well in cricket- many of them even broke into Ranji Level

But we have to understand that cricket is not prominent in many tribal/ lower socio-economic belt.
Infact, I have to say that-cricket has absolutely failed to entice rural tribal people.
They prefer other sports.

6 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Yeah rural people tends to be more hardy.
Infact, the general consensus over where I live is that tribal people are more physically adept(due to their lifestyle) than us.

I am from rural Kerala myself and physically and mentally much tougher than my city-bred cousins and friends. In rural areas you face harsh conditions and get plenty of open space to play which makes you tougher both mentally and physically.

6 hours ago, sarchasm said:

1. If upper caste men were softies then how did they become 'upper' in the first place?

2. Rural areas have no upper caste men and urban areas have been combed clean of lower caste people? Who knew!

Caste system and better living conditions compared to the lower castes. I mean at Look at the Scandinavians now. They are the descendants of marauding Vikings but living in comfortable life for centuries made them softer.