Is Kumar Sanu the greatest singer ever born, in his genre?

randomGuy

For example listen to below from 2:15 for about a minute.... I don't think anyone can match aside from maybe kishor kumar, that too only to an extent.. 

As per wiki "Kedarnath Bhattacharya, better known as Kumar Sanu (born 20 October 1957), is a leading Indian playback singer of Bengalibackground, popular for rendering his voice in Bollywood movies of the 1990s and early 2000s. 

Now @Muloghonto thinks bengalis are great intellectuals. I honestly don't think that's true.Sorry about that, but.....

there have been many marvelous singers and music directors from bengal..bengals best gift to the world. With Sanu da being the most marvelous...

I really liked him in the 90s, he had a nice smooth voice but not much power or dynamism, he was perfect for slower songs but not so much for dance numbers. Udit Narayan was a more well rounded singer.

Edited by Ranvir

21 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

if we are looking for who is the best nasal singer, there can't be anyone better than our very own......

he is a fantastic singer even without Nasal tone.

Himesh is one of most alround music talent in the country and one of the most mocked as well. No one has given more hits than him as a singer and as a music director and you will hardly find a plagiarized song from him.  

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

he is a fantastic singer even without Nasal tone.

Himesh is one of most alround music talent in the country and one of the most mocked as well. No one has given more hits than him as a singer and as a music director and you will hardly find a plagiarized song from him.  

One of his biggest songs was plagerized from a Romanian Christmas song.

How obscure can you get? These guys must listen to hundreds of songs a day to come across a song like the above.

3 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

One of his biggest songs was plagerized from a Romanian Christmas song.

How obscure can you get? These guys must listen to hundreds of songs a day to come across a song like the above.

i didnt say he does not have a plagiarized songs. he does but they 2-3 songs at max. On the other hand, check this site to see how big music directors have plagiarized their songs. 

http://www.itwofs.com/

20 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i didnt say he does not have a plagiarized songs. he does but they 2-3 songs at max. On the other hand, check this site to see how big music directors have plagiarized their songs. 

http://www.itwofs.com/

Has AR Rehman also plagiarized? Went through a few in ARR's list in the given link - most of the tunes were original but some parts in the song were inspired.

Lol no. Udit Narayan is a much better singer from the 90s. There are much better singers than him. Rafi, Kishore Kumar,Abhijeet,Sonu Niham,KK(perhaps the most underrated),Yesudas,Shankar Mahadevan,Manna dey,mukesh,Hemant Kumar,Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Hariharan were all better than him. Sanu da was a good singer but not one of the best. His singing was mostly nasal and copied from Kishore Kumar usually.

Edited by I6MTW

My favorite Kumar sanu song is ''do dil mil rahe hai'' from Pardes...Then ''phool main bhejum...'' from Salma pe dil aagaya....Anyway thanks for this thread...Refresh some Kumar sanu numbers,,he was terrific at his peak,(wouldn't call him the best ever though)

9 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Lol no. Udit Narayan is a much better singer from the 90s. There are much better singers than him. Rafi, Kishore Kumar,Abhijeet,Sonu Niham,KK(perhaps the most underrated),Yesudas,Shankar Mahadevan,Manna dey,mukesh,Hemant Kumar,Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Hariharan were all better than him. Sanu da was a good singer but not one of the best. His singing was mostly nasal and copied from Kishore Kumar usually.

All great but none better than Sanu da in his genre of melodious romantic songs imo.....Udit Narayan also fantastic... One fantastic singer you missed I guess is talat mehmood... I don't rate Nusrat and Hariharan that high btw. 

Edit:I greatly admire bhajan singer Anoop jalota. 

Edited by randomGuy

2 hours ago, randomGuy said:

All great but none better than Sanu da in his genre of melodious romantic songs imo.....Udit Narayan also fantastic... One fantastic singer you missed I guess is talat mehmood... I don't rate Nusrat and Hariharan that high btw. 

In terms of singing quality Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is one of the highest in the sub continent. His ability to hit high notes and 6 octave vocal range is incredible. Maybe Sanu is better in the romantic songs because I've never heard NFAK singing romantic so I cant judge. Hariharan is a great romantic and melodious singer. He has a much soothing voice. Here in the south he sings regularly and has given many great romantic hits that have acquired cult status. Even Abhijeet sings romance well. KK is very good as well. In the old days Kishore and Rafi gave many romantic hits. 

6 hours ago, I6MTW said:

In terms of singing quality Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is one of the highest in the sub continent. His ability to hit high notes and 6 octave vocal range is incredible. Maybe Sanu is better in the romantic songs because I've never heard NFAK singing romantic so I cant judge. Hariharan is a great romantic and melodious singer. He has a much soothing voice. Here in the south he sings regularly and has given many great romantic hits that have acquired cult status. Even Abhijeet sings romance well. KK is very good as well. In the old days Kishore and Rafi gave many romantic hits. 

Hariharan  is superb in romantic numbers,,also that voice...wow

9 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Melodius romantic song ''pehla nasha ....''form jo jeetha for me from 90s...uff kya voice hai,kya feel hai....makes me want to go back to that era....

On 6/15/2018 at 6:00 PM, riya said:

Melodius romantic song ''pehla nasha ....''form jo jeetha for me from 90s...uff kya voice hai,kya feel hai....makes me want to go back to that era....

Right.. Great song .. I said Udit narayan was fantastic.. I mean it... He was really good... 

In females I feel Anuradha poudwal and sadhna sargam were  very good but underrated. I prefer these two over Alka yagnik n Kavita krishnamurty... 

Then Sunidhi Chauhan and Shreya ghoshal were fantastic.. Richa Sharma, fantastic again... These days many great female singers coming up.. Like palak muchal

Edited by randomGuy

45 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Right.. Great song .. I said Udit narayan was fantastic.. I mean it... He was really good... 

In females I feel Anuradha poudwal and sadhna sargam were  very good but underrated. I prefer these two over Alka yagnik n Kavita krishnamurty... 

Then Sunidhi Chauhan and Shreya ghoshal were fantastic.. Richa Sharma, fantastic again... These days many great female singers coming up.. Like pakal muchal

Hmm....Anuradha definitely beatiful voice,but felt somewhat lack in expressions compared to the others u mentioned...Sadhana Sargam is like hemalatha in Lata's era,very talented but got unnoticed due to Alka's authority...Alka makes the best duet song pair with Sanu,Udit and basically every singer..She has got a weight in her voice,i mean base voice is really good,others are kind of thin in that aspect..

I really like Poornima,(i think she changed her name now),.used to sing some  numbers in most Govinda movies,, really talented,can pull off sleazy numbers as well as humorous ones with equal ease...very different singer of that time.