Ravi Shastri wants Yo-Yo test bar to be raised ahead of ICC World Cup 2019

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/ravi-shastri-wants-yo-yo-test-bar-to-be-raised-ahead-of-icc-world-cup-2019/story-WbFN4SY5hiSbHm7CKZtrlN.html

Going into the next year’s ICC World Cup, Indian cricket team head coach Cheerleader Ravi Shastri seems to have made fitness level of players a priority.

A day after pacer Mohammed Shami failed the Yo-Yo test and was therefore left out of India’s squad against Afghanistan for the one-off Test starting in Bangalore on Thursday; Shastri has come up with a proposal to raise the bar of the fitness test.

According to a report in the Ahmedabad Mirror, Shastri wants the Yo-Yo test bar to be raised from 16.1 to 16.3 in order to ensure the team has a bunch of supremely fit players for the 2019 World Cup in England.

The report also adds that players failing in the test would not be considered for selection in the future.

“Ravi has instructed that every player must pass the Yo-Yo test. He has taken the decision keeping in view the tough overseas assignments for the team, including next year’s World Cup,” a source was quoted as saying by Ahmedabad Mirror.

Since the introduction of the Yo-Yo test, a number of Indian players have lost their places in the team after failing to clear it.

Recently, young Kerala wicketkeeper-batsman Sanju Samson was not included in India A squad for a tri-series tournament in England after he failed to achieve the required mark in the test.

He was replaced with Bihar-born Ishan Kishan for the tour.

Before this, cricketers Suresh Raina and Yuvraj Singh too lost their spots in the team after failing to pass the test. Raina, however, cleared the test last December which made him eligible for selection in the Indian team.

The Yo-Yo test is multi-stage variation of the beep test which is used to determine a player’s fitness. The credit for developing the test goes to Jens Bangsbo, a football physiologist from Denmark.

2 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Yup.
With a tummy as big as that, how dare he talk about fitness?

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

There is a bit of gap after the tour of Sri Lanka and your next assignment. What would you be doing.

Feet up. Feet up. I have had enough. I applied for this job, I got the job and two days later I landed in Colombo in July. Since then, I have had maximum ten days off. We came here on the 19th of July last year and we will leave here 19th of March. In between those nine months, I may have had ten days off. If I have to go and watch a match, it will be an odd game and that would be with a glass of beer in my hand and feet up watching the game in my shorts.

Lagta hai time off me zyada pee li :giggle: 

Edited by gambhirfan
Would Cricketers like Inzi and Tendulkar ever made into INTL level if YO-YO test was introduced in 80s/90s :giggle: 

Probably yes.
They would have to work hard on their fitness though.
If such tests would have been there , they would have worked hard to pass the benchmark though

7 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Probably yes.
They would have to work hard on their fitness though.
If such tests would have been there , they would have worked hard to pass the benchmark though

Just conducting yo yo test isn't enough to indicate higher fitness level. 14-15 is score which even school players can get in yo yo test.

You have to work hard to get higher score in test.