Jump to content
Trichromatic

Dhawan becomes first Indian batsman to score a test century before lunch on day 1

Recommended Posts

I think Sehwag missed it against windies in 2006.

 

 

First Day

**Last updated after Dhawan's century

Runs Batsman Match Venue Year
103* VT Trumper (104) Aus v Eng Manchester 1902
112* CG Macartney (151) Aus v Eng Leeds 1926
105* DG Bradman (334) Aus v Eng Leeds 1930
108* Majid Khan (112) Pak v NZ Karachi 1976-77
100* DA Warner (113) Aus v Pak Sydney 2016-17
104* S Dhawan Ind v Afg Bengaluru 2018

 

 

On Other Days

Runs Batsman Match Venue Year
41* to 154* KS Ranjitsinhji (154*) Eng v Aus Manchester 1896
22* to 138* C Hill (142*) Aus v RSA Johannesburg 1902-03
32* to 150* W Bardsley (164) Aus v RSA Lord's 1912
19* to 128* CP Mead (182*) Eng v Aus The Oval 1921
12* to 114* JB Hobbs (211) Eng v RSA Lord's 1924
27* to 129 HG Owen-Smith (129) RSA v Eng Leeds 1929
41* to 152* WR Hammond (336*) Eng v NZ Auckland 1932-33
25* to 148* LEG Ames (148*) Eng v RSA The Oval 1935
59* to 159* SJ McCabe (189*) Aus v RSA Johannesburg 1935-36
76* to 176 GS Chappell (176) Aus v NZ Christchurch 1981-82
112* to 215* MA Taylor (334*) Aus v Pak Peshawar 1998-99
103* Inzamam-ul-Haq (112) Pak v Zim Harare 2002-03
77* to 191 BC Lara (191) WI v Zim Bulawayo 2003-04 (1)
57* to 162* IR Bell (162*) Eng v Ban Durham 2005
100* BC Lara (216) WI v Pak Multan 2006-07 (2)
119* AB de Villiers (129) RSA v Ind Centurion 2010-11
74* to 204* BA Stokes (258) ENG v RSA Cape Town 2015-16
1* to 108* HH Pandya (108) Ind v Sl Pallekele 2017

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Sandeep99 said:

Thought Sehwag would have done it 2-3 times... surprising!

Sehwag has 9 100s in first match innings as opener.

 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/14628/scorecard/239921/west-indies-vs-india-2nd-test-india-tour-of-west-indies-2006/

 

This is where he missed it. Was on 99 before lunch.

 

  • Lunch: India - 140/0 in 25.0 overs (W Jaffer 34, V Sehwag 99)

Other times his scores at lunch

 

76

91

51

87

53

70

79

_

Share this post


Link to post

Dhawan did not make the century in a test match, he scored against Afghanistan in a match which for some reason has been given "test" status, which is a joke. Just because Afghanistan has couple of good domestic T20 players, they should have not been given test status, which supposed to be a serious form of cricket. ICC made test cricket so cheap, a joke really.

Share this post


Link to post

BCCI congratulates Shikhar Dhawan on one-session century

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/afghanistan-tour-of-india/bcci-congratulates-shikhar-dhawan-on-one-session-century/articleshow/64591373.cms

"Scoring a century in the first session is an incredible feat. I congratulate Shikhar Dhawan for his fabulous innings. It was a special knock, befitting the special occasion," said BCCI acting president CK Khanna.

 

Acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary added: "With his stunning batting display, Shikhar Dhawan ensured it was an outstanding morning in Bengaluru. We had dignitaries from both the countries witnessing the game and many more following it across the globe."

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Lala2790 said:

Goes to show the lack of depth India have usually had with openers

Yeah... unlike pak openers who score century before lunch in every match...

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Pace90 said:

Shame on ICC to give Afghanistan the test status, what a joke of a "test" match.

Every new test team takes years before they start competing with top teams. How are they gong to improve if they don't get the exposure at the top level.  Their bowling is quite capable. Needs to find better batsmen.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/14/2018 at 3:20 AM, CricketBuffOne said:

Know the 6 Batsmen who have Scored HUNDREDS Before Lunch on 1st Day of a Test Match

Dhawan is the latest entrant to this list.

Have a look!
 

 

Why not just have a list instead of a video filled with just pictures? This impacts negatively towards Youtube user experience. Probably not as much as clickbait titles but it still does. This feels like a powerpoint presentation without having the ability to click through it quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, urnotserious said:

Why not just have a list instead of a video filled with just pictures? This impacts negatively towards Youtube user experience. Probably not as much as clickbait titles but it still does. This feels like a powerpoint presentation without having the ability to click through it quickly. 

I understand this format isn't the most enjoyable for you. But my personal experience suggests that having pictures not only helps in identifying individuals (especially, when players from the yesteryears are involved) but also helps in better recall, plus the music adds to the viewing experience. More so, in the absence of video footage (due to copyright restrictions), this is the next best option for me to share info with my viewers. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/15/2018 at 7:09 AM, rkt.india said:

Every new test team takes years before they start competing with top teams. How are they gong to improve if they don't get the exposure at the top level.  Their bowling is quite capable. Needs to find better batsmen.

Giving Afghans a test status is like awarding Master Degree to a child who is performing well in elementary school.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Pace90 said:

Giving Afghans a test status is like awarding Master Degree to a child who is performing well in elementary school.

India, Pakistan, BD, SL, NZ all were at the same situation once.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

India, Pakistan, BD, SL, NZ all were at the same situation once.

Really, what kind of cricket history you follow, India , Pakistan and SL were established cricketing nations with solid teams , good FC structure before getting test status. Only BD was given test status prematurely and they struggled for years. But, even BD had good FC structure and years of exposure to international cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Pace90 said:

Really, what kind of cricket history you follow, India , Pakistan and SL were established cricketing nations with solid teams , good FC structure before getting test status. Only BD was given test status prematurely and they struggled for years. But, even BD had good FC structure and years of exposure to international cricket.

It took 20 years before India won their first test and you are saying India was an established cricketing nation. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×