How long will Vijay play test cricket?

depends on England, but its difficult to just question his position as of now. I find him and Rahane the most frustrating, always unconvincing in India ( Rahane more so) but do well in critical overseas situations. Just wish him and Rahane just do very well in Eng else it will be curtains atleast for Vijay since he is not from Mumbai you can not expect much of a rope for him. Rahane would still be around for Aus series atleast if he fails in Eng. 

I will be happy if he can see through this year, Eng and Aus tours are critical for Team India and I don't see any youngster in the domestic scene who can directly make a mark in such tough assignments. He's 34 years old, so will ideally look to blood in some youngster when we play in India non stop in 2019-2020. If he can have good tours this year and help us win at least 1 series out of the 2, he will retire as an Indian ATG in my book. 

Vijay should be given the next two tours and then we need to start grooming a youngster. This could have been started a lot before, but the management decided to play Gambhir, Mukund, Parthiv Patel, Dhawan, etc who were all short term solutions. Even Rahul isn't the finished material yet in overseas tests as evidenced by SA tour.

First step will be to discard Dhawan, FFS how many more tours he needs to prove he is not an opener for overseas. Only then can another youngster be tried.

It is not that easy to find an opener as can be seen with the Merry go round happening with teams like England, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Here in ICF people seem to not realise the tough role of an opener overseas. A youngster cannot just come in and start performing overseas.

37 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Vijay should be given the next two tours and then we need to start grooming a youngster. This could have been started a lot before, but the management decided to play Gambhir, Mukund, Parthiv Patel, Dhawan, etc who were all short term solutions. Even Rahul isn't the finished material yet in overseas tests as evidenced by SA tour.

First step will be to discard Dhawan, FFS how many more tours he needs to prove he is not an opener for overseas. Only then can another youngster be tried.

It is not that easy to find an opener as can be seen with the Merry go round happening with teams like England, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Here in ICF people seem to not realise the tough role of an opener overseas. A youngster cannot just come in and start performing overseas.

Golden words my friend. The role of an opener is the toughest in test cricket. We have produced just 1 Gavaskar and 1 Sehwag all these years with Gambhir, Vijay much below....highly specialized role.

Vijay still has a lot to offer & I think he has atleast 3 years left in him where he could tour a few tough overseas assignments if he's fit or some crazy talent isn't threatening his spot. 

Lets not forget his capability of taking the shine off the new ball. You might say Dhawan may score quickly as compared to Vijay but Dhawan's performance barring that test century in NZ, 2014 hasnt been impressive at all. Rahul hasn't been provided with a permanent spot either. Once this overseas cycle ends in Aus next year, the selectors should also start looking for a talented youngster who could prove himself useful for that coveted spot in the future. 

11 hours ago, Vilander said:

depends on England, but its difficult to just question his position as of now. I find him and Rahane the most frustrating, always unconvincing in India ( Rahane more so) but do well in critical overseas situations. Just wish him and Rahane just do very well in Eng else it will be curtains atleast for Vijay since he is not from Mumbai you can not expect much of a rope for him. Rahane would still be around for Aus series atleast if he fails in Eng. 

This is because both Vijay and Rahane are hard-handed players who play very straight and in the V. Thats pretty much the most consistent style on wickets that have pace, bounce or movement. On Indian pitches, where its powderpuff square turners, ball stops on you or regular slow wickets, you need the exact opposite skillset - ones who can play very well square of the wicket and have very supple wrists to work the ball around with last moment deflections after reading the spin or drop their hands to turn an edge into one where the ball takes the edge and dies halfway between the bat and the slip.

10 hours ago, The Dark Horse said:

Vijay does not have the same workload as those who play LOIs. However 2 years is the most he’d be playing.

I don't think workload is much of an issue for batsmen. His challenge to keep himself up for it and ready after those long breaks.

7 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

As long as he can play well for India. We have a guy who set age limit so high, So it can't be worse than that. 

Sachin played under grandpa quota at 38 or 39. He blocked youngsters place for so many years and eventually chickened out when overseas Tests started :wall: because he knows he is Anderson's bunny:om:

@maniac @speedheat Softwares..How many times did sachin get out to Anderson ? 

From 39 - 40 - 1 year is so many years for you. Please find better ways of trolling. You're trying too hard.