Sri Lankan cricket lacks credibility: Muralitharan

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/102583/sri-lankan-cricket-lacks-credibility-spin-legend-muttiah-muralitharan

Spin legend Muttiah Muralitharan has turned down an offer by Sri Lanka's Minister of Sports to help the game by joining in as a consultant. Issuing a statement on Friday, Muralitharan said that it was an insincere move to use the good name of reputed cricketers without sincere hopes of revamping the sport.

On Thursday (June 14), Minister of Sports Faizer Musthapaha had appealed to former captains Aravinda de Silva, Roshan Mahanama, Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara and Muralitharan to join SLC as consultants.

The request was made after a court order further delayed the elections of SLC that was originally scheduled for May 31. Legal experts believe that it will take at least six months for the legal process to end and conduct SLC elections. The Appeal Court on Thursday informed the Attorney General's Department to present a roadmap for SLC elections on the next hearing on July 4.

"I am of the view that it is an insincere, cunning move, more to use us when the cricket administration is in such a deplorable state and standby the sentiments that Mahela has expressed not able to trust the system as per his own experience of attempting to resolve pressing issues which was never implemented," Muralitharan said in a statement.

"It is sad that National cricketers are not consulted until it (the sport) hits the rock bottom. I would not hesitate to give of my time if I do realize the genuineness and credibility of the administration despite my own professional coaching engagements worldwide," added Muralitharan.

Earlier, Mahela Jayawardene too had turned down the request saying the recommendations he had presented were not implemented.

"With all due respect to the selectors and Sports Minister, I have spent one year in the Cricket Committee and six months in a special advisory committee and no recommendations were implemented. I don't have any trust in the system. If anyone wants to buy time pleases don't use us," Jayawardene had tweeted.