Afghanistan learnt a lot from heavy loss against India, says coach Phil Simmons

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/afghanistan-learnt-a-lot-from-heavy-loss-against-india-says-coach-phil-simmons/story-evJberl1oFs8zPWTxx7laM.html

“Well nothing has been said yet but we will have our meeting in a little while. I think there is an air of disappointment but not at losing but the way we played today. We can put first two hours down to nervousness, yesterday, and then we showed what we are capable of. But today I don’t know what the answer is to that performance,” Simmons said. 

“I blame 30 % on the occasion and but the blame is a lot more on the naivety of what the Test cricket is about. You can play as much 4-day cricket as possible but when you get upstairs to the big league and especially, against the number 1 team in the world, it shows and today it showed in a big way,” he said.

“Yes, it could have been more competitive but we wouldn’t have learned as much as we learnt in this game. Because when you play against the best, you know how much work you have to do to get where they are. Take away from this game is that players can now see and it’s just not me telling them how Test cricket is at the top,” he said.

“First it’s a mountain to climb. I do believe they want to succeed and want to be good at it. They work hard and now we know we have to work five times harder. So I believe that they will get there,” the coach said.

Its going to be tough for them to make an impact in test cricket. They have a non existent domestic structure, no infra to support and groom new talent,fitness standards are going up and they wont be able to attract right coaching and support staff.

With so many challenges how do they improve batting technique, just imagine them playing a test against SA on the kind of tracks we got earlier in the year. Raw talent is fine but in today's age video analysis is available at all levels, i hope they are investing on it.

Road is tough but these are tougher men, hope they will come out on top but they shouldnt expect overnight results. 

7 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

playing a test against SA

All single digits will make 30 odd runs as a team I suppose. Afg should play only games in doon and noida build up with as many practice games as they can afford with local ukand lads and prep and play fine tune their spin and learn defence when playing touring teams ( even that will be in jeopardy imagine a couple of 3 days games going this way against eng or Australia..they will feel even less confident. 

22 hours ago, Vilander said:

I don't know what is the problem for some Pakistani folks.  You should be happy that Afg who learnt cricket in refugee camps in pak have now become a good loi team and are playing test cricket.

They want afghanistan to forever be the war ravaged land so they can feel good about themselves.Ironically for rest of the world pakistan is no betterl,but i guess they cant see that.

But look at it this way.  After failing Zimbabwe and BD in providing them early opportunities and helping them get better now we can see amends Eng with Ireland and India with Afghanistan there is real effort to provide the basic decent opportunities  needed for them to succeed. For sure Ireland ahead because of their structure but even Afghan have some resources and options in India to playaround with. Compare it with what exposure Zim and Bd were given when they started.  Zimbabwe had structure and good players but was never given consistent exposure and BD had a very good FC structure still not given many chances to get exposure. Amends made now with Ireland and Afg, at a bare minimum we will get 1 true test aide in next 2 years coming in after BD and Zim in ability for now.  

Edited by Vilander

World also learned that they are not good enough for test cricket. Even giving the benefit of doubt that it is their first match and most of the teams did take years to stabilize and get better after getting Test Status, there is no sense in giving them Test status as the format is itself is close to extinction and is being preserved in the name of history with not much revenue generation to sustain itself and being heavily subsidised with the revenue from the shorter format. 

What are the chances for this format to survive a couple of generations and for us diehard old time lovers of Test cricket why dilute the quality? As it is the quality of most of the test teams is very poor. Maybe a two or three tier system will be better for all the parties concerned - players, boards and viewing public.

2 hours ago, Pace90 said:

So you're saying the kid has no resources to learn in school. lets give him the graduate degree. 

Degree and job has been handed but tools to succeed are missing. For cricket to survive we need more countries to play and if this is the way forward so be it. I see t20 getting picked by more European countries but test cricket needs major revamp. 

their batters learnt nothing in the second innings. Their choice of shots and general approach saw no change.

How about you just stfu and get your heads down and work hard on improving? If there a need to give out such statements?