Ishant worked on wrist position and bowling fuller lengths at Sussex, says Jason Gillespie

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/ishant-worked-on-wrist-position-and-bowling-fuller-lengths-at-sussex-says-jason-gillespie

"We spoke a lot about a fuller length attacking off stump - batsman’s knee-roll height. He also worked hard on the position of his wrist at the point of release. His natural delivery comes back into the right-hander. 

"He worked on the ball that held its line and got batsmen playing at the ball thinking it was going to come back and hit the stump," Gillespie told Sportskeeda on Friday. 

Gillespie further explained that they also worked on Ishant bowling from various angles using the crease.

"And we spoke about bowling from different spots on the crease to create different angles when he released the ball," he added. 

Ishant has certainly become richer in experience post his Sussex stint. 

With all the money in the world, I don't know why Bcci doesn't hire someone like Gilespie who can definitely help our young bowlers with his knowledge.

Regarding Ishant he does seems to be bowling fuller than before. Wickets that he took in county cricket and against Afg, he was bowling full and got the reward.

Edited by Hell Raiser
6 minutes ago, Hell Raiser said:

With all the money in the world, I don't know why Bcci doesn't hire someone like Gilespie who can definitely help our young bowlers with his knowledge.

Regarding Ishant he does seems to be bowling fuller than before. Wickets that he took in county cricket and against Afg, he was bowling full and got the reward.

Coach is interested in bringing his support staff like Cheerleader Shastri lobbying for his friend Bharat Arun would love to have a guy like Jason or Mcdermott in our setup.

Tipping the scales: Jason Gillespie told Ishant Sharma to focus on knee-roll, not top of off

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/india-vs-england-ishant-sharma-jason-gillespie-5290977/

“Take me to the restaurant Wagamama. I like their spiciest item, called the ‘firecracker’,” Ben Brown, Sussex’s captain, laughs as he recounts what happened when a few players obliged their overseas professional Ishant Sharma’s culinary request. “I don’t think he handled the spice all that well! That’s the only thing he failed at during his stint with us, to be honest.”

The story of Ishant’s success in this Test has to be traced back to his county season with Sussex, where he flourished under the careful guidance of the coach Jason Gillespie. “It was clear from the time he landed down and headed soon to a training nets that Ishant meant business. I remember he played a warm-up game early on; it was probably 5 degrees or something. Cold. But he put in a lot of overs. Same thing in the nets, he trained for hours with Jason,” Brown says.

“I remember Jason telling him that he should probably forget the top of the offstump stuff; instead focus on the knee-roll.” A better visual construct to focus on.

“If he had to hit knee high, then he had to get the ball fuller. That was the rationale.” They had also worked a lot with the Duke ball, used in Tests in this country. Ishant’s errors are known: a penchant to bowl a bit short than ideal length, sometimes push it a bit wider, and not test a batsman’s front-foot play.

“They would be at it for hours in the nets,” Brown says. “The key to bowling in the UK is the length. We see a lot of bowlers fall into the trap of bowling too short and not challenging the stumps enough. I think that will be Ishant’s biggest challenge,” Gillespie had said. “If he can keep the stumps in play as much as possible, he can be quite effective.”

“It was a special moment for me to hand him that.” At the end of his stint, Brown remembers Ishant giving a very good speech in the dressing room. “He talked about he would cherish this memory, how he enjoyed with us, and how this experience was invaluable for his career. He also said, that he would frame the cap and put up in his house.”

“He also worked hard on position of his wrist at release. He worked on the ball that held its line and got batsmen playing at the ball thinking it was going to come back and hit the stump,” Gillespie had said recently. “and we spoke about bowling from different spots on the crease to create different angles.”

The replays showed great wrist-work. There was no attempt to bang the ball on to the deck. Instead, it was loose and supple, and he would whip them out of his fingers. The ball, with a proud seam tilted towards slip, would fly towards a full length on the stumps and would seam away, squaring up the left-handers one by one. Firecrackers, too spicy for the English to handle. Wagamama chefs too would agree.