Lankans not taking the field against Westindies due to change of ball

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18571/commentary/1135150/west-indies-vs-sri-lanka-2nd-test-sl-wi-2018

Hmm, we've got a controversy to kick off the day. The umpires appear to have taken a decision to change the ball and that hasn't gone down well with the Sri Lankan camp. They haven't come out to take the field and as a result, the match referee has gone to the dressing room to investigate. Lots of animated conversation, the coach Chandika Hathurusingha is especially peeved. The team manager is on the horn, calling someone to settle the argument.The West Indies batsmen are waiting. Aleem Dar and Ian Gould are waiting. But Chandimal is not budging. His team is officially five minutes late. Maybe more. Speculation is that the umpires were not quite happy with the way Sri Lanka were shining the ball last evening.

10am We are well past 9.55 am but no hint of a start just yet. Meanwhile, Roshen Abeysinghe tweets: "Whilst the game is delayed and the chat continues between the Match referee and the SL team, the sun that was hardly seen yesterday and not expected to be seen today, is actually shining brightly."

2 hours ago, gambhirfan said:

They know they are going to lose so not surprised.

lankans attitude is a big question mark...loosing is OK too, why are they behaving like cry babies and Loosers.

We have lost matches but we came with heads held high as we fought till the last- in cricket even the loosers are appreciated if they give a genuine fight to the winners till the last.

i was batting with the 8 wickets gone and 9th tailender with me , we had to score 14 runs in 2 overs , the tailender batsman edged one ball for a four and i hit one 4 and we managed to some how run like rabbit over over throws and risk getting run out , once we ran three runs over where we could have got a Single, when we won, we knew that they could have run us out at least twice and won the game and it was just a little bit of erratic throwing and good running between the wickets that we won the match.

After the match we were thanking them to let us win the match and appreciated their bowling as i kinda knew that we would loose the match, we got lucky owing to our fighting attitude, i was dead tired and had no power to hit shots , other batsman was just slogging and could get out any ball.

1 hour ago, Lala said:

After what Australia went through this year, I doubt any team or individual player will dare to take that risk. There better be conclusive video footage that goes with such allegations. :cantstop:

yes, was there some video footage? i dont know on what basis Umpires can claim they tempered with the ball.  Ball losing shape isnt something new.

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Chandimal apparently took out sweets from his pockets, ate it and applied the saliva seconds after that. 

That's what umpires have charged him for. 

most cricketers chew something on field.  Chewing a candy and shining the ball with saliva does not make it ball tempering.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

most cricketers chew something on field.  Chewing a candy and shining the ball with saliva does not make it ball tempering.

Tbh you seem to have very relaxed opinion on tampering, doping in cricket. Even if someone brings a big saw and cuts the ball in two halves you'd justify it. :biggrin:

On topic, silveritem did the right thing. Umpires didn't change the ball even after australia sandpaper gate incident was shown on big screen. These umpires have different standards.