Iceland with 3.34lac population is in football WC, China/India/USA/Indonesia/pak/BD/Philippines are not

randomGuy

1 hour ago, AmreekanDesi said:

I can guarantee that there are more active and aspiring footballers in India than whole population of Australi

in many northeastern and eastern states football is the PRIME sport and cricket is a distant second 

Yeah, I agree and with your population, I am sure you can compete in every sport, but where are they? We with a tiny population, when compared to the subcontinent still, compete in a lot of sports and we are very good at some.

16 hours ago, Gollum said:

@Vilander @MechEng @surajmal I somewhat agree with what you said but Iceland doing what they do with 3.3 lakh population beggars belief. You have to admit there is something in the Nordic people that sets them apart even when compared to other Western/ 1st world countries. @Singh bling made that point about only the fittest genes surviving there because of geographical and historical reasons, that too should be a reason. Forget about sports like football/tennis/cricket/basketball/hockey/rugby which require infrastructure, $$$, coaching, culture...... in pure strength games (Strongman events) these people come out on top more often than not, and these events attract participation from all other Western countries. Exclude countries like India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Egypt, Kenya etc.....Germany, Japan, USA, Canada, England, France, Australia are laggards when compared to Iceland on per capita basis. Why? 

They have half Thor so I have to agree on Iceland bloody Vikings. They named him half of something in Iceland. 

aq3wuY7Iq4KyO5ibp40bCaudkQTx8N9gfCH28wbY

7 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

Stupid post

a large section of the Chinese population isnt wanting to play cricket

however a large number of Indians DO play football and exclusively football 

A large quantity of Chinese also play football but why ain't they in the world cup.

10 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Luck is a big thing in football, one hardly scores more than a goal or two. If a team gets a flukey own goal or something they can win a football match. Baseball is the same, most teams only score a few runs.

Test cricket is the least luck based team sport, imo, you have so many events,( ie balls bowled), happen, that any freak incident becomes of little importance.

and cricket is just far more complicated and difficult to master.

18 minutes ago, AmreekanDesi said:

That validates the point. Asians are genetically less gifted with desis bottom of the lot

Why is USA not at the WC then?  Do the likes of Neymar and Messi look Genetically Superior Beasts  to you?  

Interest ki bhi baat hoti hai,  these Nations are playing Football as a passion since last 200 years. 

2 hours ago, rageaddict said:

Why is USA not at the WC then?  Do the likes of Neymar and Messi look Genetically Superior Beasts  to you?  

Interest ki bhi baat hoti hai,  these Nations are playing Football as a passion since last 200 years. 

Ofcourse there's passion. But it's not like millions of Indians in Bengal, Assam, Kerala etc don't have passion and have not been playing for generations

by genetically I don't mean being huge buff guys. It's natural talent in football, running etc

On a similar note. I have had this argument verbatim with friends of mine. And when I brought this passion argument and how there is abundance of that among Indians. My friends argued that it's about facilities and that India doesn't have same facilities otherwise our kids from Goa and Bengal etc would be as good as the top footballers. 

But even that argument is flawed when you see kids from dirt poor African countries and Brazilian favelas go on to become among the best footballers of that generation. Facilities wise the African kids have it even worse than in India 

finally - Let's tackle this from one other aspect. Let's assume that the lack of facilities argument is valid and that is why Indians don't make it. Then Let's Take example of Albanians. A very poor European country which doesn't have much of a sporting culture and history. And their football team is middling at best. However many Albanians whose parents went as immigrants to other European countries see their kids going to the top of the sport. Mustafi, Granit Xhaka, Shaqiri, Adnan Januzaj etc are all players of European extraction who went to the top of football once they got the facilities. Why don't Indian origin people in European countries (who number in dozens of millions) not succeed in football? The best we have had is bloody Michael Chopra. And it's not like Indian origin folks are not going into football. The lower leagues and non-league level football have many Indians plain their trade but as the levels move up they begin to disappear 

2 hours ago, Turning_track said:

IMG-20180616-WA0011.jpg

I get it, its a joke post....but there's some overlap...for ex. a >35 male can be overweight as well.

But thought provoking.

Total population = 3.3 lac.

Male = 3.3/2 = 1.65 lac

Now, males between 18 and 35 are obviously nearly 1.65/5 = 33,000 

So, basically, from these 33,000 they had to choose the squad assuming almost everyone is available for selection. :D

Simply Superb.

But as big a factor as talent may be, and taking nothing away from the Icelanders....I believe luck in soccer is also huge factor....

Edited by randomGuy

17 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

Lmao this is the funniest thing I've read all week

Infosys, Wipro is filled with tech nerds who couldn't probably last in intramural soccer let alone a professional sport of any kind

lmao at '11 world class footballers are most likely working for TCS or Infosys'

bus kuch bhi. Have to give props for creativity in excuses haha

you wont find it funny if you have lived in India and know how it works here .Where was I giving an excuse ?  I just disagree that genetics plays a big role here , especially for a country with 1.3 billion population .

I never said all techies in Infy or TCS are gifted footballers , but the point was most kids in India dont get to choose a profession of their interest , the last 2 decades every one became a doctor/engineer by default irrespective of you being best guitarist/footballer/athlete in school . The so called "tech nerds" barely 25% are actually good with computers . 

In 2003 Indian juniors reached the finals of youth volleyball  , lost to brazil having beaten them earlier in the league phase . India was no where close to worldclass back then , so how did we manage to reach the finals ?

It wasn't fluke , but an experiment initiated by SAI led by sport scientists .  The idea was to pick 50-60 players , with just basic athletic skills but more importantly minimum height ~6.3 and the kids who made this cut where put through training and in 2-3 years we had one of the best teams in the world . This was 2003 , there was hardly any media coverage and we never built on that success , but what SAI did 15 years back finding you saying cant be done now ? 

Apart from genes one should also look at diet of footballers , its protein packed , on the other hand 100% Indians are protein deficent.the diet of aloo chawal will not make indians footballers ,even Indian non vegetarians eat lots of oily gravy or rice wirh just 1 piece of meat.Unless a growing up athlete will feast on eggs , chicken and paneer he can hardly become world class

3 hours ago, Ranvir said:

First of all Indians are never encouraged to take up sports by their parents.

There is no money in any sport apart from cricket.

Genetic inferiority is a stupid reason. You don’t have to be insanely strong to be a success in football. 

The likes of South Korea and Japan qualify every World Cup.

And how did we produce Vishwanathan anand?the money in chess is much less than other sports

6 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

Apart from genes one should also look at diet of footballers , its protein packed , on the other hand 100% Indians are protein deficent.the diet of aloo chawal will not make indians footballers ,even Indian non vegetarians eat lots of oily gravy or rice wirh just 1 piece of meat.Unless a growing up athlete will feast on eggs , chicken and paneer he can hardly become world class

hehe dude professional sportsmen manage their diet. You should not extrapolate what normal everyday joe eats to professional sportpersons.

Its not about diet or genetics - its about economics, facilities, opportunities, exposure, learning..

2 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Also in the WC:

uruguay, population - 34 lacs

panama, population - 40 lacs

croatia, population - 41 lacs

costa rica, population - 48 lacs

denmark, population - 57 lacs

serbia, population -70 lacs

WC qualifiers have quotas in each region/continent. There are more highly ranked teams in EU that fail to qualify over some lowly ranked teams in Americas/Africa and Asia. India has to qualify better among Asian countries.