ESPN Cricinfo ODI eleven of the last 25 years

7. MS Dhoni

Dhoni has the strength of an ox, the alacrity of a cat, and a technique all his own. He hits sixes as lustily as he steals singles nimbly, and has turned finishing-line manoeuvres into a party trick - none as famous as the straight six for the 2011 World Cup. Besides, no other keeper has 100 stumpings in one-day cricket.

Did you know? Dhoni has remained unbeaten in 44 winning chases, the highest in ODI history. Jonty Rhodes is next with 33.

:p:

who wrote this ? :biggrin:

15 minutes ago, velu said:

7. MS Dhoni

Dhoni has the strength of an ox, the alacrity of a cat, and a technique all his own. He hits sixes as lustily as he steals singles nimbly, and has turned finishing-line manoeuvres into a party trick - none as famous as the straight six for the 2011 World Cup. Besides, no other keeper has 100 stumpings in one-day cricket.

Did you know? Dhoni has remained unbeaten in 44 winning chases, the highest in ODI history. Jonty Rhodes is next with 33.

:p:

who wrote this ? :biggrin:

writer himself asking who wrote this! :confused:

How come Gilliy, AB & Dhoni into that list not crossing 10000 runs as batsmen? :cantstop: I put Inzi, Ganguly, Sanga, Ponting, Jayasuriya & Waqar into my list. They are pure ODI players. There are plenty of players for ODI. Therefore it needs to create 2 lists. 

51 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Kallis at 6 is a joke. Dhoni should bat at 6 with Klusener or Symonds at 7.

Klusner?? :cantstop: Seriously? :cantstop: How many matches has he played? If you are saying Klusner is suitable I can say Afridi is 10 times more suitable than trundler klusner for no 6 spot as a pinch hitter + wicket taker (pure all rounder) :cantstop:

To me, there are lot of underrated players who would have been picked for another list likes of Dravid, Anwer, Yusuf, Jayawardene, Symonds, De Silva, Vittori, Hayden, Yuvraj, Benvan, Hussey, Clarke, Malinga, Kumble, Gayle, Gibbs, Kirsten, Vaas, Fleming, etc who served well to their country during last 25 years in ODIs. Criteria is more than 5000 runs scored and 300+ wickets taken.

47 minutes ago, philcric said:

S Jayasuriya

S Tendulkar

B Lara

V Kohli

A DeVilliers

*+ M Dhoni

L Klusener

B Lee

W Akram

S Warne

M Muralitharan

Ricky Ponting instead of Brian lara Gilchrist/Dhoni based on where you are playing and it looks good.

4 hours ago, Lala said:

How come Gilliy, AB & Dhoni into that list not crossing 10000 runs as batsmen? :cantstop: I put Inzi, Ganguly, Sanga, Ponting, Jayasuriya & Waqar into my list. They are pure ODI players. There are plenty of players for ODI. Therefore it needs to create 2 lists. 

Zulu was probably the best chaser in the late 90s... 

Won't have MSD when Gilly is already there. Ponting over Kohli because I prefer big match players, plus he plays as captain. Kallis is a joke selection, bring in Symonds or Yuvi (depending on conditions) in place of him. Dhoni ke jagah Flintoff and Saqlain in place of Murali.

My XI will be:

Gilly (wk)

SRT

Ponting (c)

Lara

ABDV

Yuvi/Symonds

Flintoff

Akram

Warne

Saqlain

Mcgrath

Edited by Gollum

Kallis is not a bad pick ; cant have a side bristling with shot makers an anchor type batsman is useful. Obviously he cant bat at 6. Put him at 3 and push everyone down a slot

I think Ponting in, maybe for Lara, Shaun Pollock merits serious consideration too. 

3 hours ago, UnknownGenius said:

I would drop Sachin and play a real unselfish matchwinner. Playing Sachin and his tuk taking means lower order power of ABd and Dhoni will be wasted.

I'll drop Tendy, ask Kallia to open and bring in another all rounder at 7

That way you have solid batting and 6 proper bowlers

Sachin is tuk tuk and Kallis isnt. I must have watched cricket in some other universe.

7 hours ago, Sooda said:

Kallis is not a bad pick ; cant have a side bristling with shot makers an anchor type batsman is useful. Obviously he cant bat at 6. Put him at 3 and push everyone down a slot

I think Ponting in, maybe for Lara, Shaun Pollock merits serious consideration too. 

LOL

Tendulkar, Lara, Kohli, AB, Dhoni are all long innings players with high average and SR. They are as reliable as Kallis if not more. Just that they can score much faster than Kallis.

Shot making and anchoring/consistency are not mutually exclusive.