ESPN Cricinfo ODI eleven of the last 25 years

IMO Gilly is a bit over-rated in ODIs. He's a very good player no doubt, but I don't think he is an automatic choice for such kind of XIs. For the Wk-Bat spot in the team Dhoni should be ahead of Gilly. There are plenty of good openers around but very few who can bat great in the late middle order and finish games, which is what Dhoni does.

In Tests Gilly is the GOAT.

22 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Where is Brett Lee? No fast bowler has more 5-fers than him in ODIs, no bowler has better SR and average combination than him after taking 350 plus wickets and he played most of his cricket in 2000s and not 90s.  

Agree, although the squad is filled with 11 legends, there is the noticeable absence of a red hot bowler. What Bond & Akhtar achieved over short & medium term, Lee accomplished over the long term.

7 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Did you miss the rest where I said Kallis can give you 8-10 overs and allows you to play an extra all rounder. Kallis is also a much better fielder than Sachin. Hardly drops anything and Tendy being 5 feet nothing is not a run saver. Any leading edge will go over his head.

Gilchrist

Kallis

Kohli

Lara

AbD

MSD

Any all rounder - Pollock or maybe Flintoff or Watson

Akram

Warne

McGrath

Murali

Much much better team.Dropping Sachin allows rest of team to bat in their preferred positions plus gives you 6 genuine bowlers.

So, you want to drop arguably the best ODI opener/batsman of all time !

You want to pick a player with a SR of 72 and bat him at the top out of his position because he is a 6th bowling option !

If you really want to pick Kallis for whatever reason, why not drop Gilly or Lara who are clearly inferior ODI batsmen to Tendulkar ... that way Kallis can tuk tuk in the MO where he batted all his life and Tendulkar can open ('preferred positions' and all).

18 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Did you miss the rest where I said Kallis can give you 8-10 overs and allows you to play an extra all rounder. Kallis is also a much better fielder than Sachin. Hardly drops anything and Tendy being 5 feet nothing is not a run saver. Any leading edge will go over his head.

Gilchrist

Kallis

Kohli

Lara

AbD

MSD

Akram

Warne

McGrath

Murali

Much much better team.Dropping Sachin allows rest of team to bat in their preferred positions plus gives you 6 genuine bowlers.

Why do you need 8-10 overs from Kallis ?

Pollock of Flintoff are fontline bowlers who give 10 overs .. Kallis doesn't really have to bowl much

Watson is an opener ... at #7 he would be batting out of his 'preferred position'.

29 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Gilchrist

Kallis

Kohli

Lara

AbD

MSD

Akram

Warne

McGrath

Murali

With an ODI SR of 72, i do not think Kallis is good enough to make any ODI XI despite his useful bowling.  He cannot make use of PP. He will slow down the score in middle, forget about slog overs. With this kind of ODI batting he cannot bat in top 7, but was his bowling that good that he could play in bottom 4 as a bowler who could bat in an ODI team.  i do not think it was.  

17 hours ago, UnknownGenius said:

I would drop Sachin and play a real unselfish matchwinner. Playing Sachin and his tuk taking means lower order power of ABd and Dhoni will be wasted.

I'll drop Tendy, ask Kallia to open and bring in another all rounder at 7

That way you have solid batting and 6 proper bowlers

I agree... Dropping sachin will improve the chances of winning automatically. 

10 hours ago, philcric said:

IMO Gilly is a bit over-rated in ODIs. He's a very good player no doubt, but I don't think he is an automatic choice for such kind of XIs. For the Wk-Bat spot in the team Dhoni should be ahead of Gilly. There are plenty of good openers around but very few who can bat great in the late middle order and finish games, which is what Dhoni does.

In Tests Gilly is the GOAT.

Gilly averaged 36 with SR 97 in that era when Sanath had a combo of 32-91. Also Gilly played less in SC/UAE where average scores were generally higher..you'll be surprised to see the SR of Hayden/Ponting, supposedly aggressive batsmen. One of the greatest match winners in ODIs IMO, also a big match player. 3 WC finals, 2 50s and a 149. If anything he is under rated in my book. As great as Dhoni is he can't play the kind of bowling Gilly played day in and day out. 

On 6/18/2018 at 3:22 PM, Lala said:

Klusner?? :cantstop: Seriously? :cantstop: How many matches has he played? If you are saying Klusner is suitable I can say Afridi is 10 times more suitable than trundler klusner for no 6 spot as a pinch hitter + wicket taker (pure all rounder) :cantstop:

Klusener played 171 games , scored 26.1 runs per innings compared to Afridi's 21.85. Took 192 wickets in 164 innings he bowled with better strike rate, better wicket per innings and better average than Afridi.

Edited by Anoop K
Mistake
17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Gilly averaged 36 with SR 97 in that era when Sanath had a combo of 32-91. Also Gilly played less in SC/UAE where average scores were generally higher..you'll be surprised to see the SR of Hayden/Ponting, supposedly aggressive batsmen. One of the greatest match winners in ODIs IMO, also a big match player. 3 WC finals, 2 50s and a 149. If anything he is under rated in my book. As great as Dhoni is he can't play the kind of bowling Gilly played day in and day out. 

how? australia had the best bowling and no other country apart from SA had a good new ball attack.

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Fair points. No problem with either of them in the team, it comes down to individual preference IMO, and my preference is Jayasuriya.

It should not be held against Gilly but he played under less pressure compared to the likes of Jayasuriya, Tendulkar etc. ... Aus was just unstoppable during his time winning everything in sight.

Jayasuriya started very young (around 1989) and in the first 90 games or so, he played as a bowling all-rounder. His batting average was less than 20 in those games. Only around 95-96 he came into his own as a batsman. So, the 300+ games after that (Gilly played 287 games), his average and SR are comparable to Gilly. And of course he has the added advantage with his bowling and fielding.

Gilly vs Dhoni .... Dhoni easily .... great late middle order batsmen who can finish games reliably are premium commodity ... opening the batting with a strong line up to follow is a relatively easy job.

24 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

how? australia had the best bowling and no other country apart from SA had a good new ball attack.

Pakistan's attack with Wasim, saqlain, akhtar was good too. Remember pakistan won Odi series against australia in australia , that was a great achievement.

Edited by Anoop K
15 hours ago, rkt.india said:

In his career he faced these quicks upfront

SA: Donald, Pollock, Ntini

Pak: Wasim, Waqar, Akhtar, young Razzaq (under rated)

NZ: Bond, Cairns (not great but Southee level)

India: Srinath, Zak, Agarkar...I am serious about Sir Aggy :p:, a good strike bowler in ODI cricket

Lanka: Vaas, Malinga

WI: Ambrose, Walsh, Dillon (under rated)

Eng: Gough (very under rated), Flintoff, Anderson

Zim: Streak

Pretty good bowlers, don't ya think?

Edited by Gollum
14 hours ago, philcric said:

LOL

Tendulkar, Lara, Kohli, AB, Dhoni are all long innings players with high average and SR. They are as reliable as Kallis if not more. Just that they can score much faster than Kallis.

Shot making and anchoring/consistency are not mutually exclusive.

Anchoring to me does not mean just long innings ; it's accumulation at one end whilst shot makers can do their thing at the other. This day and age though every team needs to be chock full of hammerers

Edited by Sooda
7 minutes ago, Sooda said:

Anchoring to me does not mean just long innings ; it's accumulation at one end whilst shot makers can do their thing at the other. This day and age though every team needs to be chock full of hammerers

:confused:

Does accumulation of runs has to be necessarily slow ?

Kallis consumes plenty of deliveries and accumulates runs consistently and reliably. The likes of Tendulkar, Kohli, Dhoni do the same. At 25% faster rate. How can Kallis be more useful than them in any context?