Centre drops Tamil, 16 other languages from teacher test

The Dark Horse

20 minutes ago, AmreekanDesi said:

It's a language of oppressors/colonists and obviously not indigenous to India 

It is also the language of the world, of science and technology, of academic literature, of the most prominent modern media entertainment....will be foolish to move away from English when the whole world (including non English speaking regions like East Asia/S.E. Asia/Europe/West Asia) is moving towards it. BTW even car/railways/air travel, computer, banking system, stock market, phone, TV, fridge, AC, washing machine etc are not indigenous to India...should we go back to our olden days?

Edited by Gollum

7 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

Correct decision if true

Hindi should be the language of whole of India

Ofcourse no one wants to erase regional languages but Hindi needs to be atleast spoken as a second language in every state 

why??   who are you to tell people from other states what they can speak.India is not like other homogeneous  countries.There are multitude  of cultures and languages in every nook of the country.We are already seeing that languages are going extinct in india because of pressure from the regional languages.It  should be up to individuals to decide if they want to learn a second language,the state has no business in imposing it.

7 hours ago, Jatboy said:

Don’t worry. Take your time till you get your next  Jaat hating diarrhea.  Just quote me in your post. I will give you the right dose to minimize your anti Jaat diarrhea effect. 

There are some good mature peoples as well amongst haryana, delhi jats. But what to do when big majority are bad? My intent was to write what everybody perhaps already knows - the truth on haryana, delhi jats. 

If you want to get some respect, try and dissociate from caste...Bye..

Edited by randomGuy

21 hours ago, Gollum said:

It is also the language of the world, of science and technology, of academic literature, of the most prominent modern media entertainment....will be foolish to move away from English when the whole world (including non English speaking regions like East Asia/S.E. Asia/Europe/West Asia) is moving towards it. BTW even car/railways/air travel, computer, banking system, stock market, phone, TV, fridge, AC, washing machine etc are not indigenous to India...should we go back to our olden days?

Not saying that everyone should learn Hindi or that we should even have a national language, but this is untrrue

None of these fields are dependent on English, otherwise India would be ahead of other countries already.

The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Germans, etc all learn and do science/tech in their own languages. Only Indians have some starry eyed view of the English language with the so-called "English-language advantage." The UN itself commissioned a study which showed that people all learn better in their mother tongue.   

On 6/20/2018 at 8:39 PM, Moochad said:

Not saying that everyone should learn Hindi or that we should even have a national language, but this is untrrue

None of these fields are dependent on English, otherwise India would be ahead of other countries already.

The Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Germans, etc all learn and do science/tech in their own languages. Only Indians have some starry eyed view of the English language with the so-called "English-language advantage." The UN itself commissioned a study which showed that people all learn better in their mother tongue.   

Very true.most of the young Indians are "wannabe" of western culture without knowing **** about their culture and our culture. The mindset is like ,if they are doing like this ,even we should follow them ,I mean why?? 

The countries you have quoted are prime examples to follow , respect and preserve your own culture and be proud of it!!

Nothing wrong in learning or speaking English or using it in day to day life but don't worship it 

9 hours ago, adi B said:

Very true.most of the young Indians are "wannabe" of western culture without knowing **** about their culture and our culture. The mindset is like ,if they are doing like this ,even we should follow them ,I mean why?? 

The countries you have quoted are prime examples to follow , respect and preserve your own culture and be proud of it!!

Nothing wrong in learning or speaking English or using it in day to day life but don't worship it 

You mean to tell that by learning and using Hindi in day to day life a Bong or Tamil or Manipuri will preserve his/her culture? Or do you think these states have no culture and only Gangetic belt culture is real? Remember English is a compromise choice in a highly diverse country, to ensure that all are on equal footing. Unfair, nay absolutely criminal to expect a Mallu to learn Hindi when Hindi belt people refuse to learn other languages. If all Indians spoke Hindi as mother tongue and someone talked about giving higher priority to English, you may have had a point. But that isn't the case here, can't compare us with homogeneous countries like Japan/China/South Korea. 

Edited by Gollum

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

You mean to tell that by learning and using Hindi in day to day life a Bong or Tamil or Manipuri will preserve his/her culture? Or do you think these states have no culture and only Gangetic belt culture is real? Remember English is a compromise choice in a highly diverse country, to ensure that all are on equal footing. Unfair, nay absolutely criminal to expect a Mallu to learn Hindi when Hindi belt people refuse to learn other languages. If all Indians spoke Hindi as mother tongue and someone talked about giving higher priority to English, you may have had a point. But that isn't the case here, can't compare us with homogeneous countries like Japan/China/South Korea. 

I am not asking the South belt to learn and speak Hindi, neither am I generalizing them .I am just talking about the "wannabes " of the new gen,who consider their mother tongue (be it kannada,Tamil,telugu) to be secondary to English,forget about Hindi!

3 minutes ago, adi B said:

I am not asking the South belt to learn and speak Hindi, neither am I generalizing them .I am just talking about the "wannabes " of the new gen,who consider their mother tongue (be it kannada,Tamil,telugu) to be secondary to English,forget about Hindi!

OK then it's cool, maybe I misinterpreted your post. I too want all people to follow their mother tongue and native culture (Marathi, Tamil, Assamese.... whatever) sincerely. 

14 hours ago, Gollum said:

Zabardasti Bangal aur TN ko mat jodo. Bangali is similar to hindi and every bangali speaks basic Hindi. 

Malayalam, Telugu and Tamil are perhaps equally different from Hindi but Many more malyalis and andhra/telangana folks speak hindi than tamils.... Tamils could perhaps look at them for inspiration. 

Tamils are standouts in terms of being the only large group which has substantial opposition to hindi. Other people have also shown displeasure but not as widespread as TN and so Hindi still continues to grow in every state except maybe TN. 

In future, every indian will be able to speak basic Hindi(even now ~95%Indians can speak basic Hindi) whether stuck up TN folks like it or not. 

Basic Hindi is what people ask for, not advanced hindi. 

Edited by randomGuy

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

Zabardasti Bangal or TN ko mat jodo. Bangali is similar to hindi and every bangali speaks basic Hindi. 

Malayalam, Telugu and Tamil are perhaps equally different from Hindi but Many more malyalis and andhra/telangana folks speak hindi than tamils.... Tamils could perhaps look at them for inspiration. 

Tamils are standouts in terms of being the only large group which has substantial opposition to hindi. Other people have also shown displeasure but not as widespread as TN and so Hindi still continues to grow in every state except maybe TN. 

In future, every indian will be able to speak basic Hindi(even now ~95%Indians can speak basic Hindi) whether stuck up TN folks like it or not. 

Basic Hindi is what people ask for, not advanced hindi. 

Don't underestimate an average Bong's love for his/her language, one of the main reasons Pakistan was split into 2 was because the racist West Pakistanis tried to downplay Bengali language. You won't find a single Bengali in the world who will ever prefer Hindi over his/her mother tongue..they only speak it because there is a huge Bihari population in the state, besides it is easy to pick up because of similarity.

In my entire life I am yet to come across a Malayali who understands Hindi...have many Tamil friends who speak Hindi (all Brahmins, wonder why?) but never a Mallu. Even in interior Andhra (basically outside big cities like Hyderabad, Vizag, Warrangal) no one understands Hindi or even bothers about the language.

Why should Tamils look at others for inspiration, for what exactly? Main reason they are extremely vocal about their language is because Tamil is the oldest spoken language in the world. Had Sanskrit not been a dead language today many across India would have fanatically defended it over Hindi, even Hindi speaking folk. Just because Sanskrit hasn't survived doesn't mean one should start getting jealous of the mighty Tamil language...not talking about you but many Hindutvawadis are scared * about recent developments which may throw more light on the Sangam era (eg recent Keezhadi excavation) and shatter many myths floated by them. 

From where did you arrive at the 95% figure or do you not consider Tamils, Mallus, many other Southies, North East folk as Indians? I have spent a couple of  years in a place called Keonjhar in Odisha and believe me it was almost impossible to survive with Hindi skills, you have to know their local language. Your claim is highly exaggerated methinks.

If you have a problem with people being vociferous about their culture, why do you insist they remain a part of India? Today it is language, tomorrow it will be religion, then ethnicity/race, caste.... forgetting that we are a very diverse country and before British rule we were never really 1 nation (especially North East and South). Wars have been fought and countries split because of language..it hasn't even escaped Spain in the 21st century. We shouldn't expect conformity, instead all Indian citizens should be expected to fulfill their patriotic duty, swear loyalty to the tiranga and be law abiding citizens. Tomorrow if Tamils start an insurgent movement I will oppose them but as long as they believe in democracy, Indian constitution and protest/resist peacefully I have zero issues. Neither would I want GOI to impose codes on Indian citizens vis-a-vis language, food, festivals, religion etc. 

Edited by Gollum