Gollum

Your most painful cricket related memory against other teams?

Our road to the final of wc 2003 in itself was an achievement of great magnitude..yes we as a fan wished Ind brings home the cup but that invincible Aussie team had 11 demons playing for them ( we as kids used to address the then Aussie team as it) ,some said they are blessed with immense talent..But deep down inside every Indian knew in advance that it could be a blood bath ..it actually happened ,we succumbed to one of the worst defeat in an icc final

As good as the Aussies were in 2003, they actually had quite a few hiccups in the tournament - Pakistan had them in some trouble before Symonds played an ATG knock, England had them 7 or 8 down before Bevan and Bichel rescued them, frickin' Kenya had them 5 down for 120-odd, Bond wrecked them with a 6-fer before another rescue from Bichel/Bevan, SL cleaned up their top order in the SF before another ATG Symonds knock but we on the other hand were absolutely appalling against them in both games. I remember being actually hopeful before the final as I thought we had already had our one bad game out of the way against them (in those days if we won all games before the final it meant a sure shot defeat in the final itself :cantstop:) and had improved as the tournament went on but all hopes were dashed within the first 2-3 overs of the AUS innings.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

@Ankit_sharma03 must have made hospital his home after those many times he got hurt.

The legend the icon that is theThe Realist :hatsoff: is very passionate about Indian cricket he gets very emotional when we don’t do well he must have been hurt a lot during the 90’s era.The way he strives for excellence and develop the art of winning is great a true fan and legend of the Icf.

6 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Yeah right. Shat himself when the series was alive against the mighty Banglas and then made a lejhundary "comeback" in the dead rubber LMAO.

:cantstop: He did when 10du was playing for himself and he couldn't do anything. We saw he finished off in AC2016 trying to erase that sick memories of your 10du from 2012. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

As good as the Aussies were in 2003, they actually had quite a few hiccups in the tournament - Pakistan had them in some trouble before Symonds played an ATG knock, England had them 7 or 8 down before Bevan and Bichel rescued them, frickin' Kenya had them 5 down for 120-odd, Bond wrecked them with a 6-fer before another rescue from Bichel/Bevan, SL cleaned up their top order in the SF before another ATG Symonds knock but we on the other hand were absolutely appalling against them in both games. I remember being actually hopeful before the final as I thought we had already had our one bad game out of the way against them (in those days if we won all games before the final it meant a sure shot defeat in the final itself :cantstop:) and had improved as the tournament went on but all hopes were dashed within the first 2-3 overs of the AUS innings.

i think Srinath and sachin chocked imploded and in the final..only Sehwag stood up..

5 hours ago, speedheat said:

Bot, I know you are a multitasker, you use both Indian and bangla forum, ending up getting confused between bangla and Indian posters :phehe: I know bot its difficult to distinguish the two for you, I some times wish you was a human Bot. :sad:

Software know when to use " ," first.:hysterical: Stop torturing us with your Bangladeshi english. :phehe:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo59AQm4RpXb0QTw2tgh1

Looks like your creator took this way too seriously. 

Edited by Rasgulla

22 minutes ago, Vilander said:

i think Srinath and sachin chocked imploded and in the final..only Sehwag stood up..

The game was well out of reach before we went out to bat. A total of 360 back in those days meant that we had to slog right from the word go which meant the batsmen ending up taking far more risks than they usually would. Sehwag just like SRT was caught when he was on 4. They only difference was it turned out to be a no ball.

Just now, Jimmy Cliff said:

The game was well out of reach before we went out to bat. A total of 360 back in those days meant that we had to slog right from the word go which meant the batsmen ending up taking far more risks than they usually would. Sehwag just like SRT was caught when he was on 4. They only difference was it turned out to be a no ball.

yeah srinath was the first one who stunk..then zak followed suit. they should nave have been allowed to reach 300 leave alone 357.  Sachin came out to bat and promptly chocked and got out to Mcgrath, did not even show rudimentary resistance. 

30 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

:cantstop: He did when 10du was playing for himself and he couldn't do anything. We saw he finished off in AC2016 trying to erase that sick memories of your 10du from 2012. 

Only after he finished us off in 2015 with his atrocious SR of 62 which led to our first bilateral defeat against Bangladesh :hehe:. You can carry on defending his tuk tuk disasterclass like the infamous Japanese soldier on the island :two_thumbs_up:.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Only after he finished us off in 2015 with his atrocious SR of 62 which led to our first bilateral defeat against Bangladesh :hehe:. You can carry on defending his tuk tuk disasterclass like the infamous Japanese soldier on the island :two_thumbs_up:.

:hysterical: Raina has less SR than match, They are all Better than any tuk tuk by your Ailiaaa for his 100th 100 who no one cares about and his 7(26) at WC which led to embrassing exit like never before. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

:hysterical: Ailiaaa choked at the start, not even a fight in that final. When tough gets going.. He goes missing :(( 

Sehwag > Sachin anyday

1999 wc match against zim 

99 Chennai test 

2008 asia cup final 

2004 asia cup final 

2001 faridavad odi loss vs zim 

2003 wc final 

2004 vb series Sydney game against aus (we should have won )

2005 Bangalore test,Ahmedabad odi against pak 

2012 England home series 

2011 England away series drubbing

2008 horrible batting performance in Lanka 

2014 mcculum 300 wala test 

2004 Chennai test against aus ,final day washed out 

2015 wc semis 

2006 Windies odi series defeat (especially 2nd odi )

2004,2009,17 ct match against pak 

2000 ct final against nzl 

96 test in saf (rain saved them)

96 test match in Barbados  

And many more lol 

23 hours ago, MechEng said:

If any ICFer has noticed one trait about me in this forum, it is that I hardly post comments of dissapointment/anger if India loses big games or any other games, thanks to 2011 4-0 drubbing in England, before that series I was as naive/emotional as an Indian fan could be but after that thrashing I was a different person totally.

We became a joke under dhoni in away tests ,even I grew a thicker skin lol 

16 minutes ago, adi B said:

99 Chennai test 

2008 asia cup final 

2004 asia cup final 

2003 wc final 

2012 England home series 

2015 wc semis 

And many more lol 

abey tu mara nahi...itni chot kha kha ke :giggle: 

20 minutes ago, adi B said:

99 Chennai test 

2008 asia cup final 

2004 asia cup final 

2003 wc final 

2012 England home series 

2015 wc semis 

And many more lol 

Dard ke aage jeet hai :biggrin:

2003 finals was lost more in mind before they batted again, I don't rate ganguly as great captain as he rarely improvised.You have to change team based on opposition and not what worked against other teams..Kumble was the best bowler against Aussies during their league match and there was no need to play Mongia at all.

The team meeting during lunch break which Harsha Bhogle where he quotes Sachin talking on how they needed to score boundary every over and he would be  going for it from ball one was such a wrong strategy. That was such a flat wicket and India had talent in batsmen to make match closer if not win it.All they had to do was play normally and take stock as innings progressed instead of going bang bang from ball one.

2017 CT finals is worst defeat in my view, I could not fathom how they lost to that useless Pakistan team.

Edited by putrevus

59 minutes ago, gambhirfan said:

But Sehwag was out for 0 in 2011 final.

:(( Ailiaaa was putting too much pressure from nonstriker end via bambi fans. 

SEHWAG - 82 runs in 2003 WC ( SR over 100+ )

vs

SACHIN - 18+ 4 runs in 2011,2003 WC

Sehwag is still leading by large margin :bow:

32 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

:(( Ailiaaa was putting too much pressure from nonstriker end via bambi fans. 

SEHWAG - 82 runs in 2003 WC ( SR over 100+ )

vs

SACHIN - 18+ 4 runs in 2011,2003 WC

Sehwag is still leading by large margin :bow:

But 87 in the semis helped us qualify for the finals.

india was loosing badly to england in england and DHoni had varun aroon in reserves and he was playing trundlers in the 11 and crying that our bowlers are slow and openly accepting that our pace bowling standards are RUBBISH and more so playing two Spinners in each and every match , where as both jaddu and ashwin were getting hit for Sixes and fours.

i saw our spinners were bowling like slow bowlers..it was a PITY...dhoni tried to bat well and managed to save his captaincy as he scored some runs and if i was the Chairman of selectors , i would have definitely selected another captain after that english series.

check out dhoni's captaincy abroad ..he has never supported Pace bowlers well, Kohli supports SPIN bowlers and Pace bowlers and that's why india is winning abroad for a CHANGE, we have first set of 5 Pacers and even a NEXT Set of 5 Pacers who are very good and if any of first 5 pacers is unfit like Shammi,equally capable young pacer like Saini is selected and we are confident that he will deliver.

Dhoni did not have 3 good Pacers where as Kohli has 10 Pacers to Select and both were leading the same team.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:40 PM, Vilander said:

4-0, 4-0 and 3-0 right ? 11-0 in overseas tests ---2011 was a blood bath - SL is going through that right now..

7-0 loss to Australia did not pain me at all. The build up to the series and the way we lost to England was very painful, that too right after winning the world cup. In fact the 2011 world cup win glory quickly faded away after that hammering and worst was Sachin in a mental block for his 100th 100. The sarcastic comments by British media especially Nasser Hussain were hard to read. I had my revenge when England lost 3-0 to Pakistan in UAE!

Edited by MechEng

12 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Mental fortitude was always their forte, no better example than 1987 WC or even 2011 WC when they were our biggest obstacle in the KO campaign. 

They massacred us both times in 2003 WC but those days we had a genuine mental block against Aus. We were a proper headache for them in test cricket but also the easiest match up in white ball cricket. Since the turn of the millennium until may be the CB series in 2008 they had such a dominating H2H against us. From memory I could only recollect the Nairobi Mini WC match, 2 ODIs in 2001 home series, 1 in 2003 TVS tri-series, 1 in 2004 tri series featuring Zim as victories over them, so did a check and statsguru confirmed my intuition HERE....5-19 paints a gloomy picture. Even after they declined the remnants of that great team pwned us at home in 2007 and 2009 in 7 match ODI series. Maybe they raised their game against us and/or we were timid against them. SRT was no longer the force he was in the 90s but still our best against Aus, Dravid/Dada/Viru were flops against them in ODI, Yuvi was inconsistent, even MSD was underwhelming, VVS though surprisingly excellent :phehe:. Unlike in tests where our batsmen took the fight to them, in ODIs barring Sachin and VVS we were very mediocre. And our bowlers esp spinners were easier to counter on the ODI pitches with limited quota and Kookaburra.

I have made peace with the fact that we lost to a much better team that day but still rue our decision at the toss. We may still have lost but match would have held more interest for the supporters. We were a very poor chasing team before Chappell/Dravid jodi and UV/Dhoni peak. IIRC when we beat Aus in Mumbai in that 2007 7 match series final ODI (Murali Kartik MOM) that was the 1st time in over 9 years that we had successfully chased a total against Aus...IIRC we were on a big (15 I think) match losing streak against Aus while chasing coming to that Mumbai match. I don't understand what the team management was thinking that day, there was a narrow window to beat Aus and not batting 1st meant that window was firmly closed. Yes we were rolled out in the group match but we were in a rut coming to that match (NZ massacre earlier that year and * show against the Dutch in the opening match). We turned corner after that slaughter and were a different team coming to the F. Most of our batters now had runs and confidence behind them, insane to let that Centurion match cloud our judgement. In same Centurion a different Indian team whacked Pakistan, clearly the mood was now different. I am 100% sure we would have put on minimum 270 on the board had Dada opted to bat in the F, at least a 15% chance....chasing 360 meant 0.1% chance :((

Edited by Gollum

26 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Mental fortitude was always their forte, no better example than 1987 WC or even 2011 WC when they were our biggest obstacle in the KO campaign. 

They massacred us both times in 2003 WC but those days we had a genuine mental block against Aus. We were a proper headache for them in test cricket but also the easiest match up in white ball cricket. Since the turn of the millennium until may be the CB series in 2008 they had such a dominating H2H against us. From memory I could only recollect the Nairobi Mini WC match, 2 ODIs in 2001 home series, 1 in 2003 TVS tri-series, 1 in 2004 tri series featuring Zim as victories over them, so did a check and statsguru confirmed my intuition HERE....5-19 paints a gloomy picture. Even after they declined the remnants of that great team pwned us at home in 2007 and 2009 in 7 match ODI series. Maybe they raised their game against us and/or we were timid against them. SRT was no longer the force he was in the 90s but still our best against Aus, Dravid/Dada/Viru were flops against them in ODI, Yuvi was inconsistent, even MSD was underwhelming, VVS though surprisingly excellent :phehe:. Unlike in tests where our batsmen took the fight to them, in ODIs barring Sachin and VVS we were very mediocre. And our bowlers esp spinners were easier to counter on the ODI pitches with limited quota and Kookaburra.

I have made peace with the fact that we lost to a much better team that day but still rue our decision at the toss. We may still have lost but match would have held more interest for the supporters. We were a very poor chasing team before Chappell/Dravid jodi and UV/Dhoni peak. IIRC when we beat Aus in Mumbai in that 2007 7 match series final ODI (Murali Kartik MOM) that was the 1st time in over 9 years that we had successfully chased a total against Aus...IIRC we were on a 20 (something) match losing streak against Aus while chasing coming to that Mumbai match. I don't understand what the team management was thinking that day, there was a narrow window to beat Aus and not batting 1st meant that window was firmly closed. Yes we were rolled out in the group match but we were in a rut coming to that match (NZ massacre earlier that year and * show against the Dutch in the opening match). We turned corner after that slaughter and were a different team coming to the F. Most of our batters now had runs and confidence behind them, insane to let that Centurion match cloud our judgement. In same Centurion a different Indian team whacked Pakistan, clearly the mood was now different. I am 100% sure we would have put on minimum 270 on the board had Dada opted to bat in the F, at least a 15% chance....chasing 360 meant 0.1% chance :((

I guess after chasing down 273 in 45 overs against an ATG Pakistan ODI attack dada thought of chasing, also there was moisture in the pitch so he thought they could restrict Australia to a score of 280 max. We were also all-out for 125 against Australia in the previous group game where we batted first, so that should be considered too.

I have not yet made peace with that Ponting innings, first 50 runs came in 74 balls and the remaining 90 came in 47 balls, how?

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

They massacred us both times in 2003 WC but those days we had a genuine mental block against Aus. We were a proper headache for them in test cricket but also the easiest match up in white ball cricket. Since the turn of the millennium until may be the CB series in 2008 they had such a dominating H2H against us. From memory I could only recollect the Nairobi Mini WC match, 2 ODIs in 2001 home series, 1 in 2003 TVS tri-series, 1 in 2004 tri series featuring Zim etc as victories over them, so did a check and statsguru confirmed my intuition HERE....5-19 paints a gloomy picture. Even after they declined the remnants of that great team pwned us at home in 2007 and 2009 in 7 match ODI series. Maybe they raised their game against us and/or we were timid against them. SRT was no longer the force he was in the 90s but still our best against Aus, Dravid/Dada/Viru were flops against them in ODI, Yuvi was inconsistent, even MSD was underwhelming, VVS though surprisingly excellent :phehe:. Unlike in tests where our batsmen took the fight to them, in ODIs barring Sachin and VVS we were very mediocre. And our bowlers esp spinners were easier to counter on the ODI pitches with limited quota and Kookaburra.

I have made peace with the fact that we lost to a much better team that day but still rue our decision at the toss. We may have still lost but match would have held more interest. We were a very poor chasing team before Chappell/Dravid jodi and UV/Dhoni peak. IIRC when we beat Aus in Mumbai in that 2007 7 match series final ODI (Murali Kartik MOM) that was the 1st time in over 9 years that we had successfully chased a total against Aus...IIRC we were on a 20 (something) match losing streak against Aus while chasing coming to that Mumbai match. I don't understand what the team management was thinking that day, there was a narrow window to beat Aus and not batting 1st meant that window was firmly closed. Yes we were rolled out in the group match but we were in a rut coming to that match (NZ massacre earlier that year and * show against the Dutch in the opening match). We turned corner after that slaughter and were a different team coming to the F. Most of our batters now had runs and confidence behind them, insane to let that Centurion match cloud our judgement. In same Centurion a different Indian team whacked Pakistan, clearly the mood was now different. I am 100% sure we would have put on minimum 270 on the board had Dada opted to bat in the F, at least a 15% chance....chasing 360 meant 0.1% chance :((

That W/L ratio makes for grim reading. Maybe my memory is playing some tricks here, but I think the captains went out for the toss in somewhat overcast conditions which along with the form of our pacers may have played some role in Ganguly's decision. Of course by the time the Aussies came out to bat it was bright sunshine all around! 

Just now, MechEng said:

I guess after chasing down 273 in 45 overs against an ATG Pakistan ODI attack dada thought of chasing, also there was moisture in the pitch so he thought they could restrict Australia to a score of 280 max. We were also all-out for 125 against Australia in the previous group game where we batted first, so that should be considered too.

I have not yet made peace with that Ponting innings, first 50 runs came in 74 balls and the remaining 90 came in 47 balls, how?

As I said in my post we had an extremely poor chasing record against ATG Aussies in that period. Pak bowling was ATG on paper but quite an aged attack, here Aussies were at their peak. Also if Pak could muster 273 against us toh management ko andaz lagana chahiye tha ki Aus walleh toh usse zyaada hi banate nah. That moisture thing is an excuse by Dada to hide his poor decision making, it was a sunny afternoon and moisture would anyway have dried up soon. We were all out for 125 in the group game but in the opener we barely stumbled to 200 against Netherlands....that was a different team in the 1st 2 matches. Coming to the WC we were eviscerated 2-5 in NZ but in the super sixes stage we handily demolished NZ. I think our seniors should have emptied the memories of the group match into the dustbin... it was a whole new match come final day. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

That W/L ratio makes for grim reading. Maybe my memory is playing some tricks here, but I think the captains went out for the toss in somewhat overcast conditions which along with the form of our pacers may have played some role in Ganguly's decision. Of course by the time the Aussies came out to bat it was bright sunshine all around! 

Don't remember the exact details but from this clip looks sunny even during toss time. That was a dumb* move by Dada (maybe other seniors too were involved...) but Kohli took it to another level in the 2017 CT F. Dada should have sent the brat a bouquet of roses for surpassing his own blunder. 

Edited by Gollum

9 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I think Ganguly sort of resigned himself to chasing something around 325 when they were 240/2 in 40 overs and the team pretty much went through the motions already thinking about the target they were gonna chase. By the time they finished 50 overs they must have been shell-shocked.

10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Don't remember the exact details but from this clip looks sunny even during toss time. That was a dumb* move by Dada (maybe other seniors too were involved...) but Kohli took it to another level in the 2017 CT F. Dada should have sent the brat a bouquet of roses for surpassing his own blunder. 

Jeez Ponting can barely conceal his delight at being asked to bat.

15 hours ago, Vilander said:

ok world t20...thats not a world cup...world cup is ODI. 

Its a world cup in T20 format. Kind of a world cup where every country participates.

4 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

If he got out that day.. we would have scored much more. He played 115 balls at 73SR:no:while....

Sehwag blasting at 152 SR for his 38 and Raina at 92SR for his 36* 

What about his 2003 Wc innings against Pakistan?

24 minutes ago, gambhirfan said:

Anyone remember 1996 Durban Test Match where we were bundled out for 100 and 66.

thing is you can only get hurt when you lose something you are good at. we were never great overseas. so, even 2011 and 2012, England and Aus losses dont hurt me much.  we may be #1 then but that is ranking, didnt mean we could win series overseas.  we have two test series win against decent teams overseas, 2007 England and 2009 NZ and those were out best ever teams. In 90s, team was in general not that good.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

thing is you can only get hurt when you lose something you are good at. we were never great overseas. so, even 2011 and 2012, England and Aus losses dont hurt me much.  we may be #1 then but that is ranking, didnt mean we could win series overseas.  we have two test series win against decent teams overseas, 2007 England and 2009 NZ and those were out best ever teams. In 90s, team was in general not that good.

Actually in 2011I was expecting us to lose maybe 1-2 or 2-0 even against the Aussies it was the same feeling like you said we have been poor overseas even now with the England series I’m keeping my expectations low as our team crumbles under pressure playing outside Asia.