will there be another bowler ever as good as McGrath?

Almost 3 years post retirement against Warner in an All Stars Match SCORECARD

IIRC Warner had ripped apart the Saffers in a T20 series before this exho.

Mcgrath finished with 18/3 in his 4 overs (1 maiden) and got Warner, Voges, David Hussey out. Batting line up had Clarke, Haddin, White, Bailey, Steven Smith apart from these 3. Trundling in the 120s yet so uneasy to handle :hail:

5 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

He wasn't a 144kmph bowler either which some on here want as a minimum target to achieve selection !

What he had was bounce and he had enough speed especially early in career.There is a reason why Mcgrath was even unknown in Australia while coming up thru ranks, he did not have the wow factor.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What he had was bounce and he had enough speed especially early in career.There is a reason why Mcgrath was even unknown in Australia while coming up thru ranks, he did not have the wow factor.

These are also qualities that Bumrah has. Bumrah has a great opportunity to develop into legendary bowler. 

1 minute ago, lamellavig said:

These are also qualities that Bumrah has. Bumrah has a great opportunity to develop into legendary bowler. 

Bumrah does not have the mental fortitude that Mcgrath had, atleast what we have seen so far.Mcgrath was so strong mentally.People underestimate Mcgrath's ability to land ball after ball on the same spot, as a bowler he had no weakness.

58 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He was an unknown because he was a country boy and moved to the city to become a known 

McGrath was a lot quicker when he was young. If you have read articles on him you will know that he wants bowlers to bowl as fast as they can but they need to have other skills too. Just pace alone won't suffice at the highest level. 

Unsurprisingly, McGrath believes he was consistently quicker in the early part of his international career, and while a drop-off in pace wasn't a conscious thing as the years wore on, his increased skills-set more than made up for any absence of velocity.

"I think the quickest ball I ever bowled on the speed gun was the '99 World Cup final and it was 92mph (148kph), so it was reasonable," he said.

"(But) I think I was lot quicker when I first got (to international cricket).

"In 1995 in the West Indies, I was running in a lot harder, hitting the crease better and my pace was probably quicker then.

"I didn't intentionally slow down to get control, it was just the way things turned out.

"I was trying to bowl as quick as I could.

"I think my action, even when I look at replays it looks like I'm just jogging in and rolling my arm over, but it felt like I was putting in everything in every ball I bowled.

"To bowl express pace is not something you can teach, it's something that comes naturally.

"Bowling at 150kph is something you are born with.

"You can't take a 130kph bowler and turn him into 150 if they don't have the ability.

"It's something that's natural.

"I just felt if you found the edge and it carried to the slips and they caught it, happy days."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/glenn-mcgrath-australia-fast-bowling-pace-bounce-movement-velocity-philander-interview/2016-11-13

Edited by Mosher