Which was our most successful tour to SENA countries?

Which was most successful away tour for Indian cricket team in SENA countries?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which was most successful away tour for Indian cricket team in SENA countries?

• 1968 NZ tour
    • 1971 Eng tour
    • 1986 Eng tour
    • 2007 Eng tour
    • 2009 NZ tour
    • 2018 SA tour
    • 2011 SA tour

Lot of debate going on starting from ICF. A very reputed poster (@sourab10forever)  claimed that previous tour to SA was our most successful tour to SENA countries ever. 

2-1 loss in test series

5-1 win in ODI series

2-1 win in T20I series

Other series which can be brought in discussion are

1968 tour to NZ

Won test series 3-1 - this is only overseas tour where we won 3 tests. We dominated NZ completely in that series.

1986 tour to Eng

Won series 1-0

2007 tour to England

Lost 4 ODIs to England - ODI series 4-3

Won test series 1-0

Won ODI series with SA - 2-1

Won only ODI with Ireland - 1-0

2009 tour to NZ

Lost T20I - 2-0

Won ODIs - 3-1

Won tests - 1-0

1971 tour to England

ODI series drawn at 1-1

Test series won 1-0

2011 SA tour

Drawn test series 1-1

Lost ODI series 3-2

From the ones mentioned here the SA tour of 2018 doesn't even make the list for me as we couldn't even take the Test series to a decider. JAMODIs mean diddly squat in 2018. Both NZ tours I'd rule out as the teams were pretty meh. Winning 2-0 in England 1986 was pretty good but their bowling was ho hum. It's pretty close between the 1971 England tour (a historic year for Indian cricket as we won in Eng/WI) and the 2007 Eng tour where we were up against a pretty decent side. The 2007 English team was probably marginally better and the Test series helped heal some of the wounds after the disastrous WC so I'd vote for that.

Note this is about 'tour' and not 'test series'.Although Tests are the most important but LOI series should be given at 50% of the respect that is given to Tests.

5-1 is a brutal domination by any away team over any team. 

Why SA 2018?

We won a test. We were never outplayed in any tests. We were close to winning the 1st test(and hence the series). Totally dominated them in ODI amd T20 series.

Hands down our best Overseas tour.

Edited by sourab10forever

Other respectable tours that deserve a mention:

1981 tour of Australia

Against a quality Australian side feat. Chappell/Border/Lillee, we came back to level the series 1-1 thanks to Vishy's ATG knock and Kapil's 5-fer in the 4th innings defending 143.

2003-04 tour of Australia

Yes Australia were missing McGrath and Warne but we were still up against an ATG batting unit. If only we had a competent keeper at Sydney :((

2002 tour of England

Fought back to level the Test series 1-1. Natwest series win being the icing on the cake.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Other respectable tours that deserve a mention:

1981 tour of Australia

Against a quality Australian side feat. Chappell/Border/Lillee, we came back to level the series 1-1 thanks to Vishy's ATG knock and Kapil's 5-fer in the 4th innings defending 143.

2003-04 tour of Australia

Yes Australia were missing McGrath and Warne but were still up against an ATG batting unit. If only we had a competent keeper at Sydney :((

2002 tour of England

Fought back to level the Test series 1-1. Natwest series win being the icing on the cake.

I think 2007-08 Aus warrants a mention, we were robbed in the test series and won the CB series against an ATG side albeit on its last legs. 

P.S. I see that you have mentioned it in a later post.

Edited by Gollum
29 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

Note this is about 'tour' and not 'test series'.Although Tests are the most important but LOI series should be given at 50% of the respect that is given to Tests.

5-1 is a brutal domination by any away team over any team. 

Why SA 2018?

We won a test. We were never outplayed in any tests. We were close to winning the 1st test(and hence the series). Totally dominated them in ODI amd T20 series.

Hands down our best Overseas tour.

When did we come close to winning 1st test? We just avoided big defeat in 1st test thanks to Pandya, otherwise top order had contributed 7-92 in first and 7-82 in 2nd inning. Team wasn't outplayed in first 2 tests?

Greatest missed opportunities

1977-78 tour of Australia

Against a weakened Australian side thanks to the Packer circus, India lost the first 2 Tests by narrow margins before storming back to level the series 2-2. Only to lose the final Test even though we put up a hell of a fight scoring 445 in the 4th innings chasing 492.

1985 tour of Australia

India utterly dominated the entire series and yet couldn't land the decisive blow thanks partly to the weather, Allan Border being a stubborn mofo, vintage patriotic umpiring and diabolically slow batting by Gavaskar and co :wall:. With rain expected on the final day of the 2nd Test, India crawled to 59/2 in 25 overs chasing 126 with SMG playing arguably his worst Test innings scoring 8 off 54 balls :facepalm:

1998 tour of NZ

Great performances by Azhar and SRT in the decisive Wellington Test went in vain as our lack of a decent 3rd seamer cost us big-time. Chasing 213 in the 4th innings, NZ were in all sorts of trouble at 74/5 (practically 6 down with Astle retired hurt) and yet all it took was one partnership to kill the game. Harbhajan who was selected as the 4th bowler bowled barely 5 overs as Cairns and McMillan cruised to the win :((.

2006-07 tour of RSA

That Cape Town Test is the stuff of nightmares. Collapsed from 395-5 to 414 all out. Collapsed from 90-2 to 169 all out. That Dravid-Tendulkar partnership :wall:. The unnecessary change in the batting order in the 2nd innings. Ugh.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
6 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

From the ones mentioned here the SA tour of 2018 doesn't even make the list for me as we couldn't even take the Test series to a decider. JAMODIs mean diddly squat in 2018. Both NZ tours I'd rule out as the teams were pretty meh. Winning 2-0 in England 1986 was pretty good but their bowling was ho hum. It's pretty close between the 1971 England tour (a historic year for Indian cricket as we won in Eng/WI) and the 2007 Eng tour where we were up against a pretty decent side. The 2007 English team was probably marginally better and the Test series helped heal some of the wounds after the disastrous WC so I'd vote for that.

Yeah. JAMODI. How many JAMODI series we won in SA before? It's so easy to say rubbish but difficult to understand how great is an achievement for our team was to win an ODI series in SA. Not just win but Dominate.