GM Praggnanandhaa becomes 2nd youngest GM in history!!!

FischerTal

Iske naam mein hi Anand hai :p: and also hails from the same city, time to christen him the 'Tiger Cub of Madras'? Outstanding feat but this is just the start of the journey, hope he doesn't turn into another Negi. Also watch out for Nihal Sarin who is just a year older but well on course to complete his GM norms. Indian chess is in bright hands. From zero in 1988 to 52 GMs today...Indian chess has come a long way. Anand (almost touching age 50) is fast nearing his end as elite player but youngsters will hopefully pick up and may we one day watch a World Championship Match featuring 2 Indians. Also credit to coach RB Ramesh who is churning out a brilliant stream of world class talent from his academy.

Praggu comes from very humble origins, his dad is handicapped by polio, his mom accompanies him and his sister to foreign events. Hope sponsors and AICF/GOI join hands to get the best out of him...he is rest of the world's envy and an absolute terror for the older, experienced masters. Next 5 years will be critical, he needs the best coaches in the world. As good as GM Ramesh is his students seem to hit a plateau after early success, prominent example being Aravind Chidambaram. Also Praggu needs to spend majority of the time in European/Russian/American circuits, can't afford to fall back compared to his peers. Education must take a backseat now....he needs to devote himself to chess completely henceforth and higher ups need to help him make this difficult decision. Proud day for all Indians :isalute:, rise of Indian chess from zilch is without doubt one of the greatest stories in the last 30 years or so.

prag0.jpg.97001ad9e57569b72f84389f23fbd6a5.jpg

prag1.jpg.987692f8af7dd41add5502544fab2380.jpg

prag2.jpg.63bfb8627db6f1c0a1c0bab49621aac3.jpgprag3.jpg.bace6a05b45ddcca4520e06656f46904.jpg

Edited by Gollum

Last year there was a 'Match of the Millennials' in St Louis, the way Praggu treated the other kids (all 2-5 years older than him) was epic to see, guy's a beast. 

Also :hatsoff:to Coach Ramesh (founder of Chess Gurukul) who is such an important figure in Indian chess....he even teaches children for free if they are from poor background and show glimpses of potential.

ram1.jpg.d01467b4e92fc7312e35888be8f6a4a0.jpg

ram2.jpg.cb92a6126ef0c64abde9b7d9f531ee63.jpg

Edited by Gollum

On 6/25/2018 at 1:57 AM, Singh bling said:

But but in India children are not encouraged to take sports

Chess is not a Sport but a board game. Very good activity for Indian Kids who are generally unathletic, no risk of injury safe play etc. 

Would rather have my kid  slog it out in the field and dirt and toughen up than sit on a chair making moves like a lazy ass.

5 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Chess is not a Sport but a board game. Very good activity for Indian Kids who are generally unathletic, no risk of injury safe play etc. 

Would rather have my kid  slog it out in the field and dirt and toughen up than sit on a chair making moves like a lazy ass.

The less a person knows about a subject, the more he treats it with disrespect.

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Likewise about classical art form as well.

My views about classical music are slowly changing, now I always keep Zakir Hussain's tabla beats at full volume while surfing. I still believe they are over rated (unlike chess the competition is localized and quite small) but developing a taste at least for that type of music...classical dance though will have to wait.

But damn you've some memory dude.

Edited by Gollum

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

My views about classical music are slowly changing, now I always keep Zakir Hussain's tabla beats at full volume while surfing. I still believe they are over rated (unlike chess the competition is localized and quite small) but developing a taste at least for that type of music...classical dance though will have to wait.

watch out for nihal sarin as well. he's 13 with a rating of 2551 already but he still hasn't gotten his 3rd GM norm

11 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

watch out for nihal sarin as well. he's 13 with a rating of 2551 already but he still hasn't gotten his 3rd GM norm

We have always had great prodigies but somehow they stagnate once they hit 2600-2650. Hope it is different with the current youngsters. It is a disgrace that an old man continues to be top Indian player in the 4th consecutive decade. As much as I adore and respect Anand I want youngsters to unseat him and fight for top prizes, that hunger is missing in them. BTW this year's Olympiad will be fun...after a long time both men and women will field their best teams, they also had a few training sessions which is kinda unprecedented. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

hope my taste for classical dance or music wont develop :pray:

2 hours ago, rageaddict said:

You missed my point , whether it is chess or any other sport , the fact is if you want to make career in them you have to sacrifice some of your study.

Chess players are brainy kids.Its more difficult for them to make choice to go for chess as career or crack IITs , AIims etc

On the other hand most.children in other field sports are quite poor in studies, sometimes their parents do realise that sports may be better career option for them.

19 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

You missed my point , whether it is chess or any other sport , the fact is if you want to make career in them you have to sacrifice some of your study.

Chess players are brainy kids.Its more difficult for them to make choice to go for chess as career or crack IITs , AIims etc

On the other hand most.children in other field sports are quite poor in studies, sometimes their parents do realise that sports may be better career option for them.

Ignore him, he has this annoying habit of downplaying achievements of Indians . He even made disparaging remarks about our world class badminton players eg

P.S I don't think chess players are super brainy or IIT/AIIMs candidates. Their chess prowess is purely skill based and generally doesn't translate to other fields.

Having to calculate so many variations and exhibiting phenomenal levels of concentration/patience is damn tiring. One may read about Fischer, Karpov, Korchnoi and Kasparov, especially their accounts of World Championship matches and physical preparation....requires lots of endurance. It isn't unheard of to see players lose 10 kilos during the course of 1 super GM level tourney..immense stress on the body. For noobs like us a game of chess is no big deal. But at that level ufff, there's a reason Soviet Chess players often swept all national sports awards ahead of other Olympic winning athletes and soccer/basketball/ice hockey stars. Everything appears like a joke for ignorant people, I'd trust the word of experts over random internet warriors.