Is India really the most dangerous country for women?

velu

A survey conducted by the Thomson Reuters Foundation has ranked India as the world's most dangerous country for women, ahead of Afghanistan, Syria and Saudi Arabia. But is this really true?

The poll surveyed 548 experts on six different indices - healthcare, discrimination, cultural traditions, sexual and non-sexual violence, and human trafficking. They were first asked to name the five most dangerous countries from the list of 193 United Nations member states. And then they were asked to name the worst country in each of the above categories. India topped three - cultural traditions, sexual violence and human trafficking.

A similar poll seven years ago had ranked India fourth, with Afghanistan top of the list.

The new survey has been criticised in India, with many questioning how countries like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan, which grant far fewer rights to women, managed to perform better.

The country's National Commission for Women rejected it outright, saying that countries where women could not speak out had done better. They also pointed out that rape, harassment and other forms of violence against women appear to have risen in India because more cases are being reported, driven by public outrage.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

The Ministry of Women and Child Development said in a statement that using "an opinion poll to peg India as the most dangerous country for women is clearly an effort to malign the nation and draw attention away from real improvements seen in recent years".

How did the report reach this conclusion?

It relies completely on the opinion and verdict of the 548 experts. They include academics, policymakers, journalists and those working in healthcare or other development sectors.

The foundation's head, Monique Villa, told the BBC that 41 of the experts were Indian. However there is no clarity about the nationality of the other experts and how widely other countries were represented. Furthermore, the report states that of 759 experts contacted, only 548 replied - no other information about them is available.

so the earlier BS poll was based on the opinion of 41 experts from india who rated india worse than other 548 - 41 experts 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-42436817

Maybe or maybe not

But the study has zero credibility when USA is ranked 10th above Iran, Kuwait, South Africa and another 50 African countries 

In this study Discrimination was rated worse in USA than Yemen, Helathcare was rated worse in USA than Congo :lol: 

to call something a study based on subjective views of a few hundred people is a farce

Anyways India should continue to strive for better and take these findings to further improve women welfare

1 hour ago, chewy said:

Maybe or maybe not

But the study has zero credibility when USA is ranked 10th above Iran, Kuwait, South Africa and another 50 African countries 

In this study Discrimination was rated worse in USA than Yemen, Helathcare was rated worse in USA than Congo :lol: 

to call something a study based on subjective views of a few hundred people is a farce

Anyways India should continue to strive for better and take these findings to further improve women welfare

It's a strategy to malign Trump government.

2 hours ago, zen said:

We have to use such studies to try to improve things. We know that Ind is not a great place to be if you are a women. No matter how many holes you try to poke in the poll, it won’t change the fact that things have to improve 

What chutiyapa!! So without such studies, India won't be improving?!

Just now, surajmal said:

I also wish I was a billionaire. 

Having various forms of security and equality are basic expectations 

From a suffering PoV, there is no difference b/w being captured by ISIS to be used as a sex slave and being raped, mutiliated / killed and humiliated after being kidnaped from school (the ordeal of the 7 yr old, the kid in Jammu, the kid who was sedated and raped in Guj, etc.) 

As a society we have to say enough is enough. And not become a land of stray humans 

4 minutes ago, zen said:

Having various forms of security and equality are basic expectations 

From a suffering PoV, there is no difference b/w being captured by ISIS to be used as a sex slave and being raped, mutiliated / killed and humiliated after being kidnaped from school (the ordeal of the 7 yr old, the kid in Jammu, the kid who was sedated and raped in Guj, etc.) 

As a society we have to say enough is enough. And not become a land of stray humans 

You posit that as an axiom of human existence. I would like a discussion on this. Would care to elaborate on the amount of "security and equality" that is expected; also define "basic"; while you are at it, define "having". May be talk about who are we expecting the "security and equality" from? Environment, fellow humans, the machine, wild animals? who?

Please and thank you. 

23 minutes ago, surajmal said:

You posit that as an axiom of human existence. I would like a discussion on this. Would care to elaborate on the amount of "security and equality" that is expected; also define "basic"; while you are at it, define "having". May be talk about who are we expecting the "security and equality" from? Environment, fellow humans, the machine, wild animals? who?

Please and thank you. 

Let me illustrate through the idea that kids from all backgrounds should feel safe in our society. For e.g the rape and murder of a kid in Jammu, the case of the 7 years old that is currently being discussed, the kid drugged and raped in Guj, the cases of child abuses in schools, etc.

We expect respect from our fellow humans, along with having that infrastructure in place that prevents and discourages activities that go against these basic expectations. We cannot have ppl thinking that they can get away with anything 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

Let me illustrate through the idea that kids from all backgrounds should feel safe in our society. For e.g the rape and murder of a kid in Jammu, the case of the 7 years old that is currently being discussed, the kid drugged and raped in Guj, the cases of child abuses in schools, etc.

We expect respect from our fellow humans, along with having that infrastructure in place that prevents and discourages activities that go against these basic expectations. We cannot have ppl thinking that they can get away with anything 

Again with the oughts. I ought to have a gazillion dollars. I ought to have a harem populated with victoria secret models. I ought to be a real world Peter Weyland.

I asked for a definitions on the basis of which you laid out your expectations and obligations of everyone in India...  not a poorly worded tautology. 

18 minutes ago, surajmal said:

Again with the oughts. I ought to have a gazillion dollars. I ought to have a harem populated with victoria secret models. I ought to be a real world Peter Weyland.

I asked for a definitions on the basis of which you laid out your expectations and obligations of everyone in India...  not a poorly worded tautology. 

It is to have a win-win culture .... appears as if you are happy with the status quo

9 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

Doesn't have to solve anything ,just holds onto to the certain values and expectations and thinks that he is a good person because he has a good heart.

What are you solving here? 

3 hours ago, zen said:

The pace of change needs to increase considerably. Such polls can help to drive discussions that can bring about positive changes relatively quickly 

Improving the lot of women is India's internal concern and we should be putting presssure on our own governments and create cultural awareness to this very important issue. If you look closely at the people involved in this campaign (Reuters/Bolly/ConPartyMSM), none of them give a rats ass for women's safety. To give a better example they are like Pakistani Jihadis. Jihadi's will sacrifice the last soldier if it helps to destroy the kaffir. Likewise, our vile MSM and Bollywoodiyas really dont care about M women or H Women and actively suppress any crime against a Hindu woman if the perps are M or against M women if the perps are M males. 

And the most important thing with this Reuters poll is it will hit hard on Indian tourism and will take away roti, kapda for lot of poor people dependent on this. 

And once again, if Modiji addressed the out of control Jihadi's in Indian MSM in 2014 it wouldnt have come to this. 

Edited by Charlie_

15 minutes ago, Charlie_ said:

Improving the lot of women is India's internal concern and we should be putting presssure on our own governments and create cultural awareness to this very important issue. If you look closely at the people involved in this campaign (Reuters/Bolly/ConPartyMSM), none of them give a rats ass for women's safety. To give a better example they are like Pakistani Jihadis. Jihadi's will sacrifice the last soldier if it helps to destroy the kaffir. Likewise, our vile MSM and Bollywoodiyas really dont care about M women or H Women and actively suppress any crime against a Hindu woman if the perps are M or against M women if the perps are M males. 

And the most important thing with this Reuters poll is it will hit hard on Indian tourism and will take away roti, kapda for lot of poor people dependent on this. 

And once again, if Modiji addressed the out of control Jihadi's in Indian MSM in 2014 it wouldnt have come to this. 

We have to rise above petty politics. Because party X uses sub A for its political agenda against party Y, it does not mean that we downplay sub A ,if it requires serious attention 

Also these incidences happen in both BJP and opposition controlled states

political parties are to serve ppl, not vice versa

On 6/30/2018 at 5:40 PM, surajmal said:

Both things are not the same. 

One thing (i.e. security to life) is a "Basic Human Right", which is a must. 

While another thing (i.e. you having a Billion USD) is a "wish" and does not comes under the Basic Human Rights and thus it is not a must. 

On 6/30/2018 at 6:36 PM, Charlie_ said:

Improving the lot of women is India's internal concern and we should be putting presssure on our own governments and create cultural awareness to this very important issue.

In a modern world, it is impossible declare human rights an internal concern. If you say that tourism should come from outside and India should do good PR oversees, then be ready that it will also play other way around and criticism will come from abroad on human rights issues, especially if the tourists has to come to India. 

If you look closely at the people involved in this campaign (Reuters/Bolly/ConPartyMSM), none of them give a rats ass for women's safety. To give a better example they are like Pakistani Jihadis. Jihadi's will sacrifice the last soldier if it helps to destroy the kaffir. Likewise, our vile MSM and Bollywoodiyas really dont care about M women or H Women and actively suppress any crime against a Hindu woman if the perps are M or against M women if the perps are M males.

I don't agree with it that Bollywood is a traitor of India or enemy of India. Bollywood actors have all the money and they don't need to work against India to get more money. This is only a conspiracy theory, which has absolutely no proofs, but still repeated millions of times to brainwash the people.

It is so if you repeat a lie thousands of times, then indeed normal people will get brainwashed. 

It is not limited to India, but it is normal for ALL the human rights organisations ALL OVER THE WORLD, that they protest more when it comes to minorities.  

And it is also not limited to India that human rights organisations are blamed to be traitor and enemy, but the right wing in EVERY country has more extremist behaviour and they blame them to be traitors by making on excuse or the other. 

In reality, it is only difference of opinion. But since right wing extremist behaviour does not allow the difference of opinion, thus for them all those who disagree with them are traitors and have anti-nationalist agenda. 

Simple reason is this that majority itself has many voices, but minorities have less voices and they are prone to harassment from the majority. 

When US drones kill children in Pakistan, then liberals do oppose it. But this opposition needs not to be so strong as already millions of Pakistanis (religious right wing) is on the roads and protesting against it. 

But when it comes to the minorities in Pakistan, then it is the time for the Liberals to become totally active, while otherwise minorities have no voices and their plight will increase. That is why Salman Taseer (Governor of Punjab and a humanist) became active in case of Christian lady, and thus first declared traitor to Islam and Pakistan by the right wing, and then finally killed). 

Indians have full right to protest against any wrong report. 

In the present case, Indians did show that they don't agree with this report. But at the same time, they highlighted an urgent need for changes as India is indeed suffering from this problem.

And this is the right way to do things i.e. to deny the wrong things mentioned in the report, but at the same time acknowledging the problems. 

Still this report would have been published, while it has nothing to do with the Bollywood.

Publishing of such news is an international phenomenon.