Sign in to follow this  
Switchblade

I know what to expect in England: Ashwin

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/india-in-england/i-know-what-to-expect-in-england-ashwin/articleshow/64796110.cms

"I know what to expect in England, in terms of weather and pitches. Worcester's home ground is New Road, which is a very difficult track to bowl on. I enjoyed my cricket there. I also bowled a lot with the duke ball during my stint. At this point in time, it's not as difficult as bowling with the SG ball. So I think it should be fine," Ashwin said during the launch of his TNPL team Dindigul Dragons jersey here on Wednesday.

"Whether it is August or September, it never ceases to amaze me how the English weather keeps changing all the time. I don't think that will be a factor. Our fast bowlers have done well in South Africa and we batted pretty well too. The kind of overall unit we have with the five bowlers, we always fancy our chances. Going into the second innings, the spinners are always going to come into play," observed Ashwin, who hinted at a possible return to Worcestershire at the fag end of the 2018 season.

"Nothing for me is experimentation. There is logic behind whatever I do. Before I bowled a delivery of leg-spin in IPL, I have done about, probably, a lakh of balls in practice. The thought process alone is experimentation. What I might do tomorrow in a game, I really don't know. As a Test cricketer, I pretty much know what is important in a Test match. If I had to bowl a bunch of leg spinners and googlies, I would have done it even in the Afghanistan Test," he said.

"It entirely depends on what other people perceive of my cricket. It's definitely not in my control. Like any other cricketer, I want to wear the blue jersey and represent India at the World Cup. That's obviously there deep within. At this stage of my career, physically and mentally, I am just focusing on enjoying cricket. If I land an opportunity I want to be in good frame of mind to take it with both hands."

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

One of the biggest bakchods of recent times,I ll like to play Kuldeep over him,I have lost respect for him since that leg spin nonsense in IPL

atleast he is trying something new to stay relevant, the game has been made so hard for bowlers specially finger spinners in LOI 

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Ashwin should be lauded for that Leg spin stuff and not ridiculed.

4 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

atleast he is trying something new to stay relevant, the game has been made so hard for bowlers specially finger spinners in LOI 

Well he is belittling his own art of offspin and highlighting he can't bowl off spin to right handers and needs leg spin

Just now, SK_IH said:

Well he is belittling his own art of offspin and highlighting he can't bowl off spin to right handers and needs leg spin

isnt that what trend has become, the minute a right hander comes u start bowling leg spin or left arm spin and results are also their to be seen .

Thats why every team is going for wrist spinner , coz they get that extra which leads to wkts 

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

isnt that what trend has become, the minute a right hander comes u start bowling leg spin or left arm spin and results are also their to be seen .

Thats why every team is going for wrist spinner , coz they get that extra which leads to wkts 

Yep I am against that trend,I believe any good off spinners or left arm spinner can bowl to either and get wkts,they don't need gimmicks like Ashwin tried

And yes I am a big fan of wristy's in any format as well,that's why will select Kuldeep over Ashwin

Good to hear, I am sure India's greatest matchwinner of all time will do well against a team with 7-8 lefties. Only hope catchers support him and not screw him over like they did in SA. His runs down the order will be vital. Kuldeep should play in Australia but this series must feature Ash/Jaddu.

Sent from my SM-G350E using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Yep I am against that trend,I believe any good off spinners or left arm spinner can bowl to either and get wkts,they don't need gimmicks like Ashwin tried

And yes I am a big fan of wristy's in any format as well,that's why will select Kuldeep over Ashwin

ur beilve doesnt change whats working or what isnt 

U cnt drop ur premier spinner with such record for a player who not even in squad last time, this doesnt send a good mssg . ashwin did well in Sa in that game, his catches were dropped

He shud be persisted with and given a chance to improve overseas. He offers a lot with bat and his experience is a help to captain to 

47 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

ur beilve doesnt change whats working or what isnt 

U cnt drop ur premier spinner with such record for a player who not even in squad last time, this doesnt send a good mssg . ashwin did well in Sa in that game, his catches were dropped

He shud be persisted with and given a chance to improve overseas. He offers a lot with bat and his experience is a help to captain to 

Great ,play your premier spinner who is a failure overseas,all the best 

Lol at offers a lot with bat,my views on his batting is slightly different,anyways I ll take a bowler who can pick wkts than get runs

27 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Great ,play your premier spinner who is a failure overseas,all the best 

Lol at offers a lot with bat,my views on his batting is slightly different,anyways I ll take a bowler who can pick wkts than get runs

to small a sample

N to bowler to do well we also have to give him runs on board, our batsman were even struggling to give 300

Its sourav ganguly statement - kumble use tell me give me 500-600 runs on board ill win u games. 

We werent even giving him runs to defend n not to forget other factors like poor fielding, poor captaincy, other bowler werent gr8 

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

to small a sample

N to bowler to do well we also have to give him runs on board, our batsman were even struggling to give 300

Its sourav ganguly statement - kumble use tell me give me 500-600 runs on board ill win u games. 

We werent even giving him runs to defend n not to forget other factors like poor fielding, poor captaincy, other bowler werent gr8 

well you may right about the small sample size,I for one don't trust his abilities on unresponsive pitches 

Idon't want to see a spinner unable to aid seamers like it has been the case in last few years 

10 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

well you may right about the small sample size,I for one don't trust his abilities on unresponsive pitches 

Idon't want to see a spinner unable to aid seamers like it has been the case in last few years 

how sure are u of kuldeep ????? kuldeep is also kind of a bowler who if goes for runs will go for plenty and his control is less compare ashwin n jadeja. He lacks experience to 

Wnt contribute with bat as close to ashwin

7 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

how sure are u of kuldeep ????? kuldeep is also kind of a bowler who if goes for runs will go for plenty and his control is less compare ashwin n jadeja. He lacks experience to 

Wnt contribute with bat as close to ashwin

I think a wrist spinner will always be in the game,also I like the option of attacking option who takes wickets rather someone who can restrict runs or make runs 

Just now, SK_IH said:

I think a wrist spinner will always be in the game,also I like the option of attacking option who takes wickets rather someone who can restrict runs or make runs 

ashwin is an attacking bowler who was used defensively by dhoni n also not to forget lack of runs on board .

He may fail , but he has done enough to be allowed to earn that failure

As of now he hasnt been given a proper run acc to me . Also hope his county exp will come in handly in many ways 

24 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

ashwin is an attacking bowler who was used defensively by dhoni n also not to forget lack of runs on board .

He may fail , but he has done enough to be allowed to earn that failure

As of now he hasnt been given a proper run acc to me . Also hope his county exp will come in handly in many ways 

Well true in this regime,he ll surely get two tests at least,he has a chance to succeed or fail

One think for sure.... I do not consider strange at all to play all the 5 all rounders(i mean who can hold the bat at the least effectively namely Ashwin,Jadeja,Kuldeep,Pandya & Bhuvi)   in the eleven in England test series. What ever these hacks Pujara, Dhwan,Rohit(or any new comer) combined  can do,  the 5 all rounders in the team can definitely do together combined. And that would  provide much variety in bowling too

Edited by rtmohanlal

20 hours ago, SK_IH said:

One of the biggest bakchods of recent times,I ll like to play Kuldeep over him,I have lost respect for him since that leg spin nonsense in IPL

in an era where international team captain have come flat out and lied about tampering, the atrocious behavior we saw from BD team after beating SL in a T20 game, even afghan players in there first test spoke how they have a better spin attack that ours and Ashwin is whom you find B******.

5 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

5 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

Yes he has done well at home I know that but let him perform the same way overseas plus this guy always brings in Csk thing in every posts seems for him rest of the players are useless barring Csk players who are in the Indian squad.

16 hours ago, Switchblade said:

Yes he has done well at home I know that but let him perform the same way overseas plus this guy always brings in Csk thing in every posts seems for him rest of the players are useless barring Csk players who are in the Indian squad.

Lol Ashwin? I thought he is king of the north. 

On 6/30/2018 at 5:28 PM, Khota said:

Look at the sense of entitlement by a person who does not deserve to be in the team. 

with you on this... this guy likes to paint himself as some kind of "intellectual-yet- oh so street".. constantly trying to be in the limelight... has a relentless pr machine churning out cringeworthy stuff.. 

On 6/30/2018 at 3:04 PM, Gollum said:

Good to hear, I am sure India's greatest matchwinner of all time will do well against a team with 7-8 lefties. Only hope catchers support him and not screw him over like they did in SA. His runs down the order will be vital. Kuldeep should play in Australia but this series must feature Ash/Jaddu.

Sent from my SM-G350E using Tapatalk

Agree about Soth Africa part but apart from home he has been rubbish overseas.Lets hope he does well in England.

49 minutes ago, The Unrealist said:

Agree about Soth Africa part but apart from home he has been rubbish overseas.Lets hope he does well in England.

WI, Lanka, Bangladesh are home?

He has much better stats in Australia than other world class visiting offies of the last 2 decades namely Murali, Bhajji, Swann, Ajmal...and 3 of those had suspect actions. He outbowled Lyon in 2014-15 in the 3 tests they went H2H, without him we would have lost SCG test and surrendered 0-3. 

In England his bowling average is 32-33 in 2 tests where we got destroyed.

In NZ he has never bowled.

Can't understand the hate he gets here on ICF, so much fake news and refusal to count dropped catches while judging bowlers...an Indian superstar batsman gets a bad umpiring call and we will hear about it for the next 20 years. Maybe some can't stomach the fact that he already has more MOS than SRT and Kohli combined in 1/5th of the matches. We have always downplayed our bowlers, Srinath and Kumble too unjustly received lots of flak in their playing days for their overseas performances. If we don't respect our bowlers, we can't expect bowling culture to change. Batsmen have *ed up much worse than bowlers overseas yet they are always pampered and protected from censure.  Between 1986 and 2001 we won no test in SENA countries and our only 3 overseas wins were in Colombo, Dhaka and Bulawayo. If you check the match reports/scorecards you will find that batsmen failed to justify their reputation costing us some big scalps....but commentators were mum about spinelessness of the rockstars, bowlers were easy prey. 

Edited by Gollum

5 hours ago, sriniwu said:

with you on this... this guy likes to paint himself as some kind of "intellectual-yet- oh so street".. constantly trying to be in the limelight... has a relentless pr machine churning out cringeworthy stuff.. 

There is a perception out there about him being so good. he was the worst spinner in CT. I have no clue why he merits a slot.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

if with his record he doesnt deserve a place, god knws who does?

Your superficial knowledge is detrimental to any meaningful discourse.

4 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

that line had no answer to ur point like most 

For once sake come up with some facts 

You are staring at facts and choose to ignore them.

9 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

show me the facts

Here is a fudamental problem. You are very traditional and stuck to one line of thinking. Not your fault but that is how you think. I have a different way of thinking. Facts are that there are atleat 3-5 spinners ahead of Ashwin. We can go around with you quoting meaningless stats but there has to be a better evaluation and metrics. I think you are very wrong but I am done for the day now.

44 minutes ago, Khota said:

Here is a fudamental problem. You are very traditional and stuck to one line of thinking. Not your fault but that is how you think. I have a different way of thinking. Facts are that there are atleat 3-5 spinners ahead of Ashwin. We can go around with you quoting meaningless stats but there has to be a better evaluation and metrics. I think you are very wrong but I am done for the day now.

name these 5 spinner who are even on radar?

What is a better metrics?

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

On 7/1/2018 at 12:58 AM, rtmohanlal said:

One think for sure.... I do not consider strange at all to play all the 5 all rounders(i mean who can hold the bat at the least effectively namely Ashwin,Jadeja,Kuldeep,Pandya & Bhuvi)   in the eleven in England test series. What ever these hacks Pujara, Dhwan,Rohit(or any new comer) combined  can do,  the 5 all rounders in the team can definitely do together combined. And that would  provide much variety in bowling too

You maybe right but you simply cannot do it, what you have said is good for discussion but it cannot be implemented.

No team can go into a match 7 bowling options and just three batting options. If hacks are not good enought you need to kick them out and get batsmen who can do something on spicy wickets.

But We have been facing these problems  since last 80 years, batsmen as a batting unit that can do well on spicy wickets.

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

WI, Lanka, Bangladesh are home?

He has much better stats in Australia than other world class visiting offies of the last 2 decades namely Murali, Bhajji, Swann, Ajmal...and 3 of those had suspect actions. He outbowled Lyon in 2014-15 in the 3 tests they went H2H, without him we would have lost SCG test and surrendered 0-3. 

In England his bowling average is 32-33 in 2 tests where we got destroyed.

In NZ he has never bowled.

Can't understand the hate he gets here on ICF, so much fake news and refusal to count dropped catches while judging bowlers...an Indian superstar batsman gets a bad umpiring call and we will hear about it for the next 20 years. Maybe some can't stomach the fact that he already has more MOS than SRT and Kohli combined in 1/5th of the matches. We have always downplayed our bowlers, Srinath and Kumble too unjustly received lots of flak in their playing days for their overseas performances. If we don't respect our bowlers, we can't expect bowling culture to change. Batsmen have *ed up much worse than bowlers overseas yet they are always pampered and protected from censure.  Between 1986 and 2001 we won no test in SENA countries and our only 3 overseas wins were in Colombo, Dhaka and Bulawayo. If you check the match reports/scorecards you will find that batsmen failed to justify their reputation costing us some big scalps....but commentators were mum about spinelessness of the rockstars, bowlers were easy prey. 

They are Sub Continent where he always does well but he has been a flop overseas in England,Australia and South Africa lets see how he performs in England and I am not his hater.But he has done nothing overseas.

2 hours ago, The Unrealist said:

They are Sub Continent where he always does well but he has been a flop overseas in England,Australia and South Africa lets see how he performs in England and I am not his hater.But he has done nothing overseas.

Eng-> too low sample size, bowled 35 overs only because we suffered innings defeats in both those matches.

Aus-> underwhelming but all visiting offies have suffered there post 2000, besides 2011-12 and 2014-15 had unusually flat wickets. If you watched him bowl he outbowled Lyon in 2014-15 and it was stupidity to drop him in Adelaide. 

SA-> Bad in 2013 Jo'berg, good this time...completely outbowled Maharaj which Herath and Lyon were unable to do. 

I am not accusing you of being a hater of Ashwin, I commented on a general trend on this forum where our bowling greats are insulted/downplayed to make our batting greats look better than they actually are. Ashwin isn't alone in this regard...no bigger example than sidelining Kumble from our chronicles despite the fact that he was our MVP for over a decade. But logon ki baat sunoge toh lagega ki maano Kumble aur Srinath kabhi India ke liye khele hi nahi, poora din Fab 4/Fab 5 karte rehte hai saare ke saare. 

We can't write off achievements in WI and Lanka. WI is a solid team at home and 1st time we beat them in 2 tests in the same series. Lanka 2015 was a tremendous achievement where we came back from 0-1 down, Ashwin vs Sanga was a legendary tussle then and I am sure without him we would have extended our winless streak in Lanka to 24 years which would frankly have been an embarrassing record.  

Edited by Gollum

I would go with Kuldeep for first two test and if he does not do well then switch to Ashwin, Ashwin will never succeed in Australia.I don't think he was spectacular in SA either.Nothing wrong in trying Kuldeep.