Virat Kohli is the solution to our vacant #4 spot

Did u watch Ind-SA 2015 series, how unhappy he looked batting at that position and he clearly said he liked batting at 3 coz he can control the game their .

He is ur biggest match winner give him the slot he wants coz no one will win u games like him. Why give him lesser balls

ur best players shud get the max number of balls n virat is world's best why wud u give me lesser balls. 

Darly cullinin once rightly said ABDV doesnt win u as many games as he shud be coz he bats at 4 unlike virat who bats at 3

Why wud u change role of ur main player 1 yr before WC , it takes time to settle in new role 

Also virat does not have that extra gear which ABDV, yuvraj, lara had at 4 ...infact rahul has that

The whole cushion word is so defensive

U do not change ur best player position, we did same in 2007 Wc with tendulkar n opp were so happy. 
We even were going to make tendulkar bat at 4 in 2003 wc n last min change in decision by team lead to tendulkar top Wc

no player can do better then kohli at 3
n kohli wnt be as good at 4 as he was 3, coz he ll get lesser balls

So what do we achieve ....lengthy batting lineup. Its not about length its about quality. We can lenghthen even by getting DK at 6 rather going for an all rounder but that doesnt help the balance

Just now, sensible-indian said:

I agree. 

Best option but Kohli may not agree.

Ppl who think Rohit will do well at 4 are dreaming.

how is it the best option, kohli at 3 has been gr8 and as he says he likes controlling thing from that slot. 

at 4 he gets lesser balls and he also lacks that extra gear which rohit or KL has ( not saying rohit shud bat 4)

Kohli has been phenomenal at 3, i dnt get the idea also of changing ur best batsman position. 

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

how is it the best option, kohli at 3 has been gr8 and as he says he likes controlling thing from that slot. 

at 4 he gets lesser balls and he also lacks that extra gear which rohit or KL has ( not saying rohit shud bat 4)

Kohli has been phenomenal at 3, i dnt get the idea also of changing ur best batsman position. 

Best option with our resources at hand.

Ideally Kohli should be 3 but Rohit at 4 will be useless while Kohli can still do well at 4.

Tendulkar example aint same cos he loved opening.

1 minute ago, sensible-indian said:

Best option with our resources at hand.

Ideally Kohli should be 3 but Rohit at 4 will be useless while Kohli can still do well at 4.

Tendulkar example aint same cos he loved opening.

even kohli has said he loves batting at 3 in so many interviews, he was seriously unhappy when he was made to bat at 4 in 2015 ind-sa series 

We have rahul, he shud bat at 4, no need to even look beyond. Atleast 1st lets give him a good run . 

Dhawan, rohit , kohli are settled why to change them that to a year before the WC

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Did u watch Ind-SA 2015 series, how unhappy he looked batting at that position and he clearly said he liked batting at 3 coz he can control the game their .

He is ur biggest match winner give him the slot he wants coz no one will win u games like him. Why give him lesser balls

ur best players shud get the max number of balls n virat is world's best why wud u give me lesser balls. 

Darly cullinin once rightly said ABDV doesnt win u as many games as he shud be coz he bats at 4 unlike virat who bats at 3

Why wud u change role of ur main player 1 yr before WC , it takes time to settle in new role 

Also virat does not have that extra gear which ABDV, yuvraj, lara had at 4 ...infact rahul has that

The whole cushion word is so defensive

U do not change ur best player position, we did same in 2007 Wc with tendulkar n opp were so happy. 
We even were going to make tendulkar bat at 4 in 2003 wc n last min change in decision by team lead to tendulkar top Wc

no player can do better then kohli at 3
n kohli wnt be as good at 4 as he was 3, coz he ll get lesser balls

So what do we achieve ....lengthy batting lineup. Its not about length its about quality. We can lenghthen even by getting DK at 6 rather going for an all rounder but that doesnt help the balance

As usual, you are missing the point again. We can get most out of Dhawan, Rohit and Rahul only when they bat in the top 3 position. If all three of them click, then there comes a situation that we may need not depend on Kohli for most of our wins. It's about building the team, so its not just about one player. 

We have learnt it the hard way from the past 3-4 years, that one guy alone cannot win you tournaments no matter how good he is.

Kohli batting at #4 will solve a lot of problems with this team. Above all, he is a champion bat so I don't think the batting order matters to him inorder for him to perform with the same success. 

Edited by Lannister
2 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

I think that Virat Kohli will be the best man to bat at #4 for Team India. 

We have been struggling to find a permanent #4 batsman for a really long time. We have tried countless options but none of them has clicked. 

I believe that Virat Kohli should take responsibility and bat at that vacant #4 spot. There are a few advantages for this as well.

The first advantage is that by shifting Kohli to #4, it will allow Team India to fit KL Rahul into the team in a perfect manner. Rahul is a fantastic prospect and should be able to lock down the #3 spot as his own. 

The second advantage is that it lengthens our batting line up by having Kohli at #4. In the past few years, all our batting strength was relied heavily on our top 3. It was either boom or bust for Team India depending on how they fared. 

But by having Kohli at #4, our misfiring middle order has a massive cushion now. Kohli can dominate the opposition teams while batting in the middle order and strengthening it by a long way. 

The third advantage is that we will get to see so many match winning partnerships between Kohli and Dhoni when they bat side-by-side. Kohli at 4 & Dhoni at 5 can win so many matches for Team India with their batting. 

This will allow Dhoni to play much more positively and freely which he couldn’t do before since our middle order was misfiring. But batting with Virat Kohli at the other end will help unleash MSD of old! 

Having Kohli batting at #4 is a win-win for everybody. Rahul gets a permanent spot in the team, our middle order gets strengthened and Dhoni gets to bat much more positively as well. 

A top 5 of Rohit, Dhawan, Rahul, Kohli and Dhoni is a potential World Cup winning combination! 

I suggested this around an year back, almost exactly for the same reasons.

It solves many problems, will make the team more collapse-proof, with VK and MS arguably the best personnel in the team to bat according to the game situation.

Only thing is Kohli should be comfortable mentally to vacate his #3 spot where he has been spectacular over so many years.

Edited by philcric
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

It's the best option cos with weak lower order India cannot afford to lose Virat early. 

The CT finals for example, the match was over once Virat got out. Its a myth that your best batsmen has to get maximum overs rather he needs to take tougher roles if the team needs him to.

Even at 3 Virat may continue to do well statistically, but if he has inexperienced players coming after him it will be just added pressure on him. If you check in last 3 years we have won nothing while chasing, the big reason for that is MS not being the same player he was in the past. Virat now has to take responsibility of both top order and lower order, just won't work. 

25 minutes ago, philcric said:

I suggested this around an year back, almost exactly for the same reasons.

It solves many problems, will make the team more collapse-proof, with VK and MS arguably the best personnel in the team to bat according to the game situation.

Only thing is Kohli should be comfortable mentally to vacate his #3 spot where he has been spectacular over so many years.

Virat will not be happy, I know he's not much of a milestone person but at 4 you cannot score 100s and he will be advised against doing that anyway. 

2 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

I think that Virat Kohli will be the best man to bat at #4 for Team India. 

We have been struggling to find a permanent #4 batsman for a really long time. We have tried countless options but none of them has clicked. 

I believe that Virat Kohli should take responsibility and bat at that vacant #4 spot. There are a few advantages for this as well.

The first advantage is that by shifting Kohli to #4, it will allow Team India to fit KL Rahul into the team in a perfect manner. Rahul is a fantastic prospect and should be able to lock down the #3 spot as his own. 

The second advantage is that it lengthens our batting line up by having Kohli at #4. In the past few years, all our batting strength was relied heavily on our top 3. It was either boom or bust for Team India depending on how they fared. 

But by having Kohli at #4, our misfiring middle order has a massive cushion now. Kohli can dominate the opposition teams while batting in the middle order and strengthening it by a long way. 

The third advantage is that we will get to see so many match winning partnerships between Kohli and Dhoni when they bat side-by-side. Kohli at 4 & Dhoni at 5 can win so many matches for Team India with their batting. 

This will allow Dhoni to play much more positively and freely which he couldn’t do before since our middle order was misfiring. But batting with Virat Kohli at the other end will help unleash MSD of old! 

Having Kohli batting at #4 is a win-win for everybody. Rahul gets a permanent spot in the team, our middle order gets strengthened and Dhoni gets to bat much more positively as well. 

A top 5 of Rohit, Dhawan, Rahul, Kohli and Dhoni is a potential World Cup winning combination! 

Completely agree, but won't happen. Like I have said a million times every batsmen wants to move up the order. No one wants to let go of that opportunity of scoring meaning less easy runs and boost their stats 

1 hour ago, Lannister said:

As usual, you are missing the point again. We can get most out of Dhawan, Rohit and Rahul only when they bat in the top 3 position. If all three of them click, then there comes a situation that we may need not depend on Kohli for most of our wins. It's about building the team, so its not just about one player. 

We have learnt it the hard way from the past 3-4 years, that one guy alone cannot win you tournaments no matter how good he is.

Kohli batting at #4 will solve a lot of problems with this team. Above all, he is a champion bat so I don't think the batting order matters to him inorder for him to perform with the same success. 

The idea shud be get max out of kohli coz he is ur best n most consistent batsman n he likes that position

Rahul has an extra gear then kohli so he can bat down

Kohli is ur best batsman ull give him more balls or lesser batsman 

Whats the point when he doesnt feel happy himself, we have done the same to tendulkar to annoy him n not get the full out of him

So fix no.4 by giving rahul a long run , dnt change 2 positions

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
31 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

It's the best option cos with weak lower order India cannot afford to lose Virat early. 

The CT finals for example, the match was over once Virat got out. Its a myth that your best batsmen has to get maximum overs rather he needs to take tougher roles if the team needs him to.

Even at 3 Virat may continue to do well statistically, but if he has inexperienced players coming after him it will be just added pressure on him. If you check in last 3 years we have won nothing while chasing, the big reason for that is MS not being the same player he was in the past. Virat now has to take responsibility of both top order and lower order, just won't work. 

then fix no.4, 

Why is rahul not an option???

Its not a myth .....its simple math. Ur best batsman will score most runs in same balls as other n he ll be more consistent

So fix number .4 , give rahul a proper run 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

then fix no.4, 

Why is rahul not an option???

Its not a myth .....its simple math. Ur best batsman will score most runs in same balls as other n he ll be more consistent

So fix number .4 , give rahul a proper run 

That's a very simplistic way to look at it.

Sometimes the best batsman scoring most runs consistently doesn't necessarily translate to the team's best cause, because of the strengths/weaknesses of the rest of the batsmen.

Not saying Kohli at #4 is for sure the best solution, but it's definitely worth a consideration. Ours is a top heavy batting with a fragile middle order. A better distribution of batsmen in terms of ability/experience/style might help. 

I think the rationale behind that is Rahul is an opener and is comfortable facing new ball. Now since Rohit-Dhawan is doing a good job at top, the best position to extract most from Rahul is no 3. Kohli is a middle order batsman anyway and with his experience he will find it much easier to bat at 4. His ability to find gaps and keep the score board ticking with singles/doubles will work brilliantly at middle ordrer. Pushing an opener (Rahul) to no 4 will only increase his problems, like Rohit was never a successful no.4 batsman. Also, in challenging conditions, if a wicket falls early (say 0/1), Rahul will better adapted to deal with the new ball being an opener than Kohli.

Dhawan

Rohit

Rahul

Kohli

Dhoni

Iyer/Karthik/Raina

Pandya

Thats a brilliant batting line up and I would play it for world cup. After the world cup ofcourse everything changes. I expect likes of Dhoni/Rohit etc to retire and players like Gill to be ready who can take the mattle of no 4. Rahul opens the batting and kohli moves back to no 3.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk