Twelve boys and their football coach trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand !!!

velu

Extremely dangerous. I have been to such cave in a popular discovery tour. My kids, 8 and 11 then, were with me back then. We went about 1 mile deep in in the cave. There were passages that were only 24" wide in some spots. We had to crawl for over 40-50' with very narrow passages. There was a constant water dripping from different sources. There were 40-50' slippery slops where climbing up and down was the most dangerous part of the expedition. If we lose control, one could easily bump against the rocks on the either side. Evacuation is almost impossible unless person is active. It is much harder than sky diving or bungee jumping. Only 40% of our expedition where we were standing up-right and walked. 60% of the time we had to bend and walk or crawl, mostly on our knees. We had all the protective gears.

My kids were so thrilled to have completed it few years ago. 

12 minutes ago, dial_100 said:

Extremely dangerous. I have been to such cave in a popular discovery tour. My kids, 8 and 11 then, were with me back then. We went about 1 mile deep in in the cave. There were passages that were only 24" wide in some spots. We had to crawl for over 40-50' with very narrow passages. There was a constant water dripping from different sources. There were 40-50' slippery slops where climbing up and down was the most dangerous part of the expedition. If we lose control, one could easily bump against the rocks on the either side. Evacuation is almost impossible unless person is active. It is much harder than sky diving or bungee jumping. Only 40% of our expedition where we were standing up-right and walked. 60% of the time we had to bend and walk or crawl, mostly on our knees. We had all the protective gears.

My kids were so thrilled to have completed it few years ago. 

i would rather stay at home than going for these kind of adventures ..

cave diving is not for people  having claustrophobia and nyctophobia :fear: 

lay-z.gif

5 hours ago, beetle said:

They should drill a hole from top and pull them out.:((

Actually its not the danger of collapsing the whole top soil but amount of time it will take them to drill a hole. Drilling jobs are not that easy but it could take 2-3 day.

The cave we went in also had a 60' drop from a similar hole. In this case, we dont know how long it will take realistically. plus they will have to judge the exact spot where opening should be. it is all complicated. Easier said than done.

2 minutes ago, dial_100 said:

Actually its not the danger of collapsing the whole top soil but amount of time it will take them to drill a hole. Drilling jobs are not that easy but it could take 2-3 day.

The cave we went in also had a 60' drop from a similar hole. In this case, we dont know how long it will take realistically. plus they will have to judge the exact spot where opening should be. it is all complicated. Easier said than done.

2-3 days is better than what is posted in velu's first post...he wrote it will take months.:afraid:

That is why I suggested drilling  hole.:dontknow:

9 hours ago, beetle said:

2-3 days is better than what is posted in velu's first post...he wrote it will take months.:afraid:

That is why I suggested drilling  hole.:dontknow:

http://www.chevalierdrilling.com/faq.htm 

The above link says that it can be done in hours or few days. Thats how i guessed 2-3 days. Again, more than actual drilling job, the planning of it and soil study takes weeks. So Velu is not entirely wrong. It is not easy to know where exactly is to be drilled.

59 minutes ago, dial_100 said:

http://www.chevalierdrilling.com/faq.htm 

The above link says that it can be done in hours or few days. Thats how i guessed 2-3 days. Again, more than actual drilling job, the planning of it and soil study takes weeks. So Velu is not entirely wrong. It is not easy to know where exactly is to be drilled.

few of my relatives/acquaintances are in borewell business ..

normally 500ft borewll can be drilled in 2 days , but sometimes when they encounter rocks they will end up spending days for digging 50/60ft itself ..

guess there might be far better and advanced equipments available , but drilling on a mountain/rock will be even more challenging

edit:-

and where to drill and study will take far more time as you said 

Edited by velu

• Four of the boys have been rescued from the Tham Luang caves in Chiang Rai province, with nine people still trapped underground
  • All four boys safely reached a hospital in Chiang Rai, the nearest major city
  • The operation is slated to resume at around 8am local time with officials and volunteers buoyed by the success of their chosen method insofar

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/08/thailand-cave-rescue-operation-divers-trapped-boys-live

1 hour ago, velu said:
  • Four of the boys have been rescued from the Tham Luang caves in Chiang Rai province, with nine people still trapped underground
  • All four boys safely reached a hospital in Chiang Rai, the nearest major city
  • The operation is slated to resume at around 8am local time with officials and volunteers buoyed by the success of their chosen method insofar

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/08/thailand-cave-rescue-operation-divers-trapped-boys-live

Some good news coming in finally .