Dipa Karmakar wins gold in Gymnastics World Challenge Cup!!!!

FischerTal

5 hours ago, FischerTal said:

indian sporting achievements always stand out because most of them had to slog it through on their own with zero assistance from the sporting federations!!

More so with Dipa because India doesn't have any foundation in gymnastics unlike boxing, wrestling, archery, shooting, badminton, athletics etc. Dipa is a trendsetter and is paving the path for future gymnasts in India. Even if she doesn't win an Olympic medal/World Championship she is already among India's greatest sportspersons of all time IMO. I always rate the trendsetters more than subsequent achievers because it is 10x tougher when there is no precedent and the environment has no system to support that particular sport. Post Rio there was an India Today special feature about Dipa's childhood, coach, practice routine, training equipment...I can confidently state that even Simone Biles wouldn't have achieved as much as Dipa if she had to go through a similar childhood. Dipa is not just extremely talented but also one of the most mentally tough athletes of all time, some of the equipment she had to train with could have easily killed her or paralyzed her body. 

As a kid when I tuned into Sydney Olympics I thought we would produce champion sprinters/swimmers one day but gymnastics humari bas ki baat nahi hai. Dipa proved all naysayers wrong and finished tantalizingly close to a Bronze in 2016...easily our most impressive performance in the Games even though Sindhu and Sakshi finished in the podium.