Dhawan's lackadaisical attitude and Rohit's dot ball problem

Now this is not a knee jerk thread. I understand overall these 2 have done well, but Dhawan's careless attitude is very annoying to watch. He may be the second coming of Bradman for all I care, but if he's not willing to pull up his socks and give it his all then there are many others in a country of 1.2 billion happy to put in the required effort. If he put as much effort into diving while running and trying to save his wicket (2 times this tour already when he just didn't bother running seriously or putting a dive in) as he does when slapping his thigh like a paindu after taking a catch, then it'll be much better for the team.

Rohit's dot ball problem has forever been an issue. He gets away with it every now and then because he does have the ability to go big and can hit sixes regularly once set on very flat pitches (which is most of ODI cricket these days so not a knock on him), but he does need to rotate strike better. Even in the last double against SL, his first 100 was quite slow IIRC on an absolute pancake and if he had got out then it would have been a below par innings on that kind of pitch. It is really important that he works on this because a 2(18) innings will mess us up big time at the WC particularly with a useless middle order.

NB: I am NOT asking that either of these players is dropped or something ridiculous like that - just pointing out long standing issues with these two.

1 minute ago, Dil Dil India said:

Now this is not a knee jerk thread. I understand overall these 2 have done well, but Dhawan's careless attitude is very annoying to watch. He may be the second coming of Bradman for all I care, but if he's not willing to pull up his socks and give it his all then there are many others in a country of 1.2 billion happy to put in the required effort. If he put as much effort into diving while running and trying to save his wicket (2 times this tour already when he just didn't bother running seriously or putting a dive in) as he does when slapping his thigh like a paindu after taking a catch, then it'll be much better for the team.

Rohit's dot ball problem has forever been an issue. He gets away with it every now and then because he does have the ability to go big and can hit sixes regularly once set on very flat pitches (which is most of ODI cricket these days so not a knock on him), but he does need to rotate strike better. Even in the last double against SL, his first 100 was quite slow IIRC on an absolute pancake and if he had got out then it would have been a below par innings on that kind of pitch. It is really important that he works on this because a 2(18) innings will mess us up big time at the WC particularly with a useless middle order.

NB: I am NOT asking that either of these players is dropped or something ridiculous like that - just pointing out long standing issues with these two.

Why not, if this makes them come out as a better player? The problem is Kohli's brain dead, he doesn't know who's deadwood & which players need a real kick in the backside! Add to that this guy thinks that his batting will win us all the games easily?

3 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Why not, if this makes them come out as a better player? The problem is Kohli's brain dead, he doesn't know who's deadwood & which players need a real kick in the backside! Add to that this guy thinks that his batting will win us all the games easily?

That's a different debate entirely and will sidetrack the thread. I knew people would make it about some other problem we have (see the post by Austin) or assume that I want them dropped etc. So just making it clear at the outset.

I am okay with Dhawan, to me it seems his personal trait that he is an easy going person. 

The problem with Rohit however is mental, when he gets beaten once or twice he goes into shell, front foot stops moving and then he doesn't score even on bad balls. A better coach would have probably turned that around but we don't have that.

Edited by Number
6 minutes ago, Number said:

I am okay with Dhawan, to me it seems his personal trait that he is an easy going person. 

The problem with Rohit however is mental, when he gets beaten once or twice he goes into shell, front foot stops moving and then he doesn't score even on bad balls. A better coach would have probably turned that around but we don't have that.

Good point about Rohit. Do you think there is any way to change it now? Or is it too late?

Disagree about Dhawan. He could be an easy going guy, but when he plays for India he has got to put in the dives and give his everything on the field. The blue shirt isn't just a license to score 30 and slap your thigh.

Robot Sharma has played two match losing innings in 3 match series. Somehow it goes unnoticed by critics due to his century in first match. This guy is setting the tone for a loss with his ultra defensive batting at the start. Has zero brains. Bats the same way in the beginning no matter pitch, conditions or bowlers. He is one big cause after dhoni and Rat for Indian losses.

18 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Robot Sharma has played two match losing innings in 3 match series. Somehow it goes unnoticed by critics due to his century in first match. This guy is setting the tone for a loss with his ultra defensive batting at the start. Has zero brains. Bats the same way in the beginning no matter pitch, conditions or bowlers. He is one big cause after dhoni and Rat for Indian losses.

Even in first match he scored his 1st boundary in the end of 6th over, I told at that time if we are chasing a mammoth target it will cost us. Not everytime he's gonna hit a century. Both his innings 15(26) & 2(18) were pure trash.

While Dhawan throws his wicket away against flow of play when he's in 30s/40s, today's run out was completely unnecessary. He should value his wicket a lot more. 

Edited by Turning_track

Good points OP.

Yes, they're not the biggest issues, but they are issues. Especially when the wicket is moving, Rohit sucks all momentum out of the innings and then gets out. Leaving the rest to dig us out of a whole.

Dhawan not converting enough, or cashing in after being set is an issue. We've been winning on the back of the top 3, but if they don't deliver, we've all seen the issues with our middle order.

1 hour ago, Turning_track said:

Even in first match he scored his 1st boundary in the end of 6th over, I told at that time if we are chasing a mammoth target it will cost us. Not everytime he's gonna hit a century. Both his innings 15(26) & 2(18) were pure trash.

While Dhawan throws his wicket away against flow of play when he's in 30s/40s, today's run out was completely unnecessary. He should value his wicket a lot more. 

Dhawans wickets are mostly due to this moron at the other end . Dhawan even when scoring at 120sr ,India will be crawling ~5.5 rpo , he deserves a better partner at other end .

Trust me , you get Parthiv Patel at other who plays with lot more intent India will start posting big totals . I would rather see india at 110/2 after 15 than 70/0 . 

3 hours ago, Dil Dil India said:

This is not a small issue . I am pretty sure we have posted above par totals at best 5-6 times in last 3-4 years even on absolute pancakes 

13 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Dhawans wickets are mostly due to this moron at the other end . Dhawan even when scoring at 120sr ,India will be crawling ~5.5 rpo , he deserves a better partner at other end .

Trust me , you get Parthiv Patel at other who plays with lot more intent India will start posting big totals . I would rather see india at 110/2 after 15 than 70/0 . 

While I agree Rohit's slow starts a problem, the fact is we were 200 for the loss of 4  or 5wickets today by the 41st over,most teams would get close to 300. even the other day we were about 150 for 4 by the time time Raina fell in the 30th over and we did not even get to 300.

Yes Rohit is hit or miss but he is not the main problem here,it is our middle order.

Team selections Middle and lower middle order,4th-5th and 6th bowler,MSD's out dated approach and maybe then Rohit Sharma's starts or ability or whtever you can classify it as in that order.

You seem to be focusing on the 5th biggest problem in lot of your posts.

I agree it is a problem and for this thread topic what you said it is ok but you seem to be too focused on that.

9 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

While I agree Rohit's slow starts a problem, the fact is we were 200 for the loss of 4  or 5wickets today by the 41st over,most teams would get close to 300. even the other day we were about 150 for 4 by the time time Raina fell in the 30th over and we did not even get to 300.

Yes Rohit is hit or miss but he is not the main problem here,it is our middle order.

Team selections Middle and lower middle order,4th-5th and 6th bowler,MSD's out dated approach and maybe then Rohit Sharma's starts or ability or whtever you can classify it as in that order.

You seem to be focusing on the 5th biggest problem in lot of your posts.

I agree it is a problem and for this thread topic what you said it is ok but you seem to be too focused on that.

300 again is a below par total , we will lose those anyway . The other day , yeah we could have won if some had played a great innings and the only player I can think of who can do that is Virat , so there is no solution for our middle order problems and thats why am focused on others which can be solved . 

I dont think its the fifth biggest problem , its bigger than that . Our weak middle order is a issue , but poor opening puts more pressure on it . if the top order are only going to score when its easy , for me they are as big a failure as middle order . 

Just now, jusarrived said:

300 again is a below par total , we will lose those anyway . The other day , yeah we could have won if some had played a great innings and the only player I can think of who can do that is Virat , so there is no solution for our middle order problems and thats why am focused on others which can be solved . 

I dont think its the fifth biggest problem , its bigger than that . Our weak middle order is a issue , but poor opening puts more pressure on it . if the top order are only going to score when its easy , for me they are as big a failure as middle order . 

Our top 3 are winning us the games we are winning due to batting anyway. It is not like magically replacing the openers will make us invincible. Let us say going by your theory we get new openers and they are much better than Rohit or Dhawan,then at max you will win maybe an additional game or 2. In fact this is Kohli's first bi -lateral loss ,which means our Top 3 are doing decently.

Now let us say these 2 new openers get some jaffas facing the new ball,then what?

Or let us say we are 90/1 after 10 and then Kohli gets out then what?

3 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Our top 3 are winning us the games we are winning due to batting anyway. It is not like magically replacing the openers will make us invincible. Let us say going by your theory we get new openers and they are much better than Rohit or Dhawan,then at max you will win maybe an additional game or 2. In fact this is Kohli's first bi -lateral loss ,which means our Top 3 are doing decently.

Now let us say these 2 new openers get some jaffas facing the new ball,then what?

Or let us say we are 90/1 after 10 and then Kohli gets out then what?

No we are not winning matches cos of Top 3 . The only match we on this series is cos of Kuldeep .

Not both openers , Dhawan is easily the second best batsmen in the team infact hes had a bigger impact than Virat . 

I know we will win just a couple of more games , but my bet is these will be crucial games like a KO of big tournament which I dont see us winning with Rohit opening .

Openers get out early ? doesnt that happen now ? 

As for Virat , big beliver in him droping down the order at 4 to strengthen our middle order .