The sleepwalking openers

SK_IH

Teams follow routines like rituals if they have contributed to success in the past. India had won nine consecutive ODI series before they arrived in England. One significant element of their success was the impact created by at least one of their openers; if one of Rohit Sharma or Shikhar Dhawan produced a big innings, India invariably won. In this series too, in Nottingham, Rohit cracked a century and India easily chased down a middling target.

But, in the next two matches, if you compared the scores of both teams after 10 overs, India were trailing England. Today India had a horrendously slow start and reached 32 for 1 in that period; England had made 78 for 2 in the same time. This slow tempo in the first Powerplay does not hurt if the top order kicks on and prospers. However, if the top order fails, as was the case in the last two matches, the pressure mounts on the middle order, which in turn cracked at both Lord's and today in Leeds.

The top order needs to be vigilant but it also needs to press the accelerator whenever there is an open road visible. At times it is not such a bad idea to power on; Jonny Bairstow did it today against Bhuvneshwar Kumar, pushing India into a corner.

Excerpt from one of the pieces in cricinfo, this archaic approach from Hitman needs criticism from the team mgmnt and needs drastic improvement

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24123341/india-happy-headaches-turn-real-ones

3 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

neither can english openers, infact many batsman cant

yes, but English batsman have Root, Morgan, butler, Stokes waiting in the wings. we dont have that luxury.  Rahul is in and out. Karthik is Karthik 30-40 run player. Dhoni has taken his batting back to 70s. Pandya comes when there is nothing left.

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yes, but English batsman have Root, Morgan, butler, Stokes waiting in the wings. we dont have that luxury.  Rahul is in and out. Karthik is Karthik 30-40 run player. Dhoni has taken his batting back to 70s. Pandya comes when there is nothing left.

i have debated on this argument with you before, i reiterate thats no reasoning for playing the way Rohit does, i can guarantee thats what Rohit will do even if we had Viv Richards, ABD and Bevan to follow,because thats the only way he knows to play

You justify his modus operandi with the middle order muddle ,which is certainly not the case

1 minute ago, SK_IH said:

i have debated on this argument with you before, i reiterate thats no reasoning for playing the way Rohit does, i can guarantee thats what Rohit will do even if we had Viv Richards, ABD and Bevan to follow,because thats the only way he knows to play

You justify his modus operandi with the middle order muddle ,which is certainly not the case

Yeah and the team is fine with it since he has abundant talent and scores once in a crimson moon double hundred, on flat pitches.

15 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

This really is the difference . Our top order knows that the 4,5 and 6 are duds and have to score runs while trying to not lose their wickets. Even if they had the same kind of ability , they would not able to score with the same freedom as English openers do since they have the like of Morgan and Buttler to come in .

16 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

what about Dhawan and Kohli why do they play so slow? Why was Kohli playing so slow chasing 323, had 2 boundaries about 56 balls? They know how fragile the middle order is.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

what about Dhawan and Kohli why do they play so slow? Why was Kohli playing so slow chasing 323, had 2 boundaries about 56 balls? They know how fragile the middle order is.

dhawan and kohli rarerly play slow, you cant compare their approach with Rohit, you must be kidding