For those who are saying that Pant is selected for wrong format, he has been good keeper in FC cricket and averages 54

When DK was selected for ODIs and Pant later for tests, I heard this from lot of people that he has been selected for wrong format.

I agree that T20Is is one format which is likely to suit him and he has been successful in this format so far, but it's not that he has been mediocre in FC cricket.

In fact only format in which Pant hasn't done well so far has been List A cricket.

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
T20Is Insights on t20i 4 4 1 73 38 24.33 69 105.79 0 0 5 2 2 0
First-class 22 32 2 1625 308 54.16 1649 98.54 4 6 172 72 63 7
List A 31 29 3 774 135 29.76 736 105.16 1 5 81 25 38 10
T20s Insights on t20 55 55 6 1792 128* 36.57 1084 165.31 2 12 169 97 32 7

First requirement for test is the quality of keeping and he has shown so far that he is a decent keeper for his age. How he does in international cricket, we have to see. But from whatever he has done, he appears to be a safe keeper.

Once that is settled, nature of batting doesn't matter as long as he has does well in FC cricket. He averages 54 which is quite high for domestic wicketkeepers in India. Generally they average around 30-40. He has a triple century in FC cricket.

Just because he goes all guns blazing doesn't necessarily mean he will throw his wicket in FC cricket like a hack. I am sure he will still be an attacking batsman, but should be question mark on him only after his performance in international. So far he ticks all boxes with domestic performances.

Recently against England Lions he scored 58 runs in 111 balls when others were struggling to survive. India A was bowled out for 197.

Although Karthik has done well in England in past, I hope Kohli gives him chance to play in tests. Although it's not in nature of Kohli to give chances to youngsters easily and he has been very conservative whether it comes to batting, bowling or any discipline of cricket, I am still hoping him to give preference to him. I will rather have 5 youngsters failing, than 1 tested option failing again. No disrespect to Karthik who has worked hard on his game, and looks better option than most and although it won't be a bad decision if he gets chance, it's time to move on.

Thoroughly deserved a chance. Has done well at all levels in U-19, FC, IPL and A tours. Also he plays for Delhi and Kotla ground in winters with fog and all is not an easy place to bat in FC games which start early.

But I really doubt he will get a chance under Kohli. If Karthik really screws up in first 3 games he will be replaced by Patel and then he will be in the playing XI ahead of Rishabh.

England is generally a hard place for touring keepers. I hope whoever plays doesn't spill any crucial chance. 

Thoroughly deserved a chance. Has done well at all levels in U-19, FC, IPL and A tours. Also he plays for Delhi and Kotla ground in winters with fog and all is not an easy place to bat in FC games which start early.
But I really doubt he will get a chance under Kohli. If Karthik really screws up in first 3 games he will be replaced by Patel and then he will be in the playing XI ahead of Rishabh.
England is generally a hard place for touring keepers. I hope whoever plays doesn't spill any crucial chance. 
Not necessarily.
Else why Pant is in the team?
Plus Kohli has a tendency to experiment so probably end up giving Pant a chance.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Pant is an all format player.
That said.....we should aim to have two regular keepers who are first choice in their format.

Get kishan in one format .

Nah, I don't think Desi Cricket likes this type of mechanism.
We already have Dinesh Kartik and Rishabh Pant running for the wk bat spot.
Kishan is rising through the ranks though-but I think he will be gone like Naman Ojha if he doesn't try really hard.
A Team management and selectors will keep giving Pant chances if he doesn't get selected In The Main Team.
Do you really think the star driven Indian Cricket will rotate players?
Boohahaha.
They are trying to endear players like Rahul and Pant to Indian viewers like Kohli and Dhoni before.

Pant definitely deserves to get a chance in tests based on his domestic records,he should be a permanent member of the loi team as well but he won't get to play until dhoni retires because with pant performing well in lois there'll be too much pressure to remove dhoni 
Don't think Pant will get in post Dhoni.
DK is there and As we know, Kohli loves having old uncles in his team.

Even though pant may be overrated a bit on this forum, you can't deny the talent he has. We will have to endure some growing pains with pant and hope the selectors give him a proper run to prove himself. It's been a while since we had such a great talent. He does need to improve his list A numbers but as you can see his recent innings and through IPL, the guy has matured a lot. He's already a damn good wicket keeper. Saha obviously is the best. Then pant and then daylight....prove the haters wrong pant B->

6 hours ago, adi B said:

Pant definitely deserves to get a chance in tests based on his domestic records,he should be a permanent member of the loi team as well but he won't get to play until dhoni retires because with pant performing well in lois there'll be too much pressure to remove dhoni 

after dhoni , DK will replace him..

so we have to wait for DKs retirement