Unlike earlier times, we now have eight to nine quality fast bowlers, says Ishant Sharma

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/unlike-earlier-times-we-now-have-eight-to-nine-quality-fast-bowlers-says-ishant-sharma/story-pDvR8mIoyC1aU5lFNaCXwL.html

“Everybody used to say that India can’t produce fast bowlers. Now we have probably eight to nine good fast bowlers, anytime who can play Test cricket for India. We have a pretty good chance to win a series in England and Australia, because of the kind of attack we have,” Ishant told ‘Daily Telegraph’ in an interview.

“Whatever I choose is my choice, so I can’t really blame anyone why I didn’t become a spinner and why I’m a fast bowler,” Sharma jokes. “Fast bowling – obviously it’s a difficult thing to do, a lot of toll on your body. But it’s a really enjoyable thing as well. It tests your character, tests your strength. It’s really good for me to be a fast bowler. Even in India I’m still happy.”

“The weather is so nice (in England), you can bowl long spells, the conditions are helpful. The ball is nice, the wicket is favourable. There’s a lot of difference between bowling in England and India,” Ishant said.

“I was not the one who really believed in training. I didn’t have too much knowledge about training. So I wasn’t training that much. When I went home, I was not doing anything. Just relaxing. I think that’s the point, I changed my life and improved my cricket skill level.”

“We have become so much fitter because there is so much knowledge, and there is so much contribution from everyone. If you want to play a good amount of cricket for the country, you need to work hard. You can’t just bowl or just bat. You need to go into the gym, go running, look after your recovery system, your diet and everything,” he said stating that it’s not just anymore about merely bowling his overs.

“Earlier I was really raw. I didn’t know much about bowling - I would just bowl fast. Now I know like, what the batsman is doing, how is the weather, how the wicket is going to behave, then after how many overs what you need to do and everything. You need to adapt, and bowl according to the situation.”

“I’m not really the kind of guy who likes to give up on things, so I’m really hard on myself,” he says. “I’m the kind of a person, when the things are really tough I really want to take it on.” Sometimes he has to “keep on going till the time I don’t get what I want.”

45 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

That necessarily doesn't mean Im one of them....Im happy with my unlucky tag..you knoq:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Switchblade said:

“Earlier I was really raw. I didn’t know much about bowling - I would just bowl fast. Now I know like, what the batsman is doing, how is the weather, how the wicket is going to behave, then after how many overs what you need to do and everything. You need to adapt, and bowl according to the situation.”

Isko 10 saal lag gai apni bowling ko samajhne me 

I agree that we have many better pacers nowadays as compared to past. There is significant improvement in terms of count of good Pacers. The improvement is there but is that enough. There is so much to achieve in pace department inspire of the gradual improvement we have seen.

The further improvement areas would be:

1. India produces at least one ATG pacer.

2. A world class pace bowling pair in tandem like Ambrose and Walsh who shared 700 + wickets between them.

3. A pacer who can take 25 + wickets in one test series.

1. An ATG pacer is a very vague term to define fast bowlers. What should be the criteria to be a ATG pacer - pace, line and length , extra bounce or swing.

And there's many bowler who are ATG for their country but not for others like James Anderson.

2. To produce a pair like Ambrose and Walsh there should be faith and stability for those bowlers and under Shastri-Kohli selection is based on horses for courses method and thats mean constant shuffling and thats mean no stable pair.

3. Instead of producing a 25+ wicket pacer we should focus on pace triplets or quartet like the windies. None of them are top five test wicket taker cuz they shared workload and all were equally good and thats made them fearsome.

Edited by S_pace

This guy was part of all our overseas tour from 2012 to 2014.. You name it. Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand.. We played on greenest pitches in all those overseas tours... we had all the legends get out to opposition fast bowlers but this dud of a pathetic bowler who was leading attack in all those attacks, didn't do a jack aside from that Lords test where he just got lucky when all the pulls and hooks went to fielders... and people starting calling him a unlucky matchwinner..  this guy is the most useless bowler to ever play for India... but our fans and selectors don't see that... atleast IPL teams have realized that this pathetic guy was part of 7 of 8 ipl teams that was in bottom 2  for 8 ipl seasons... and finally IPL teams stopped selecting this guy.. but this unlucky tag will stick with the selectors and he will continue to play for india... sad part is, before every series, he calls himself 'leader of the pace attack' and says how he will groom other bowler..I find that so funny

2 hours ago, rahulrulezz said:

This guy was part of all our overseas tour from 2012 to 2014.. You name it. Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand.. We played on greenest pitches in all those overseas tours... we had all the legends get out to opposition fast bowlers but this dud of a pathetic bowler who was leading attack in all those attacks, didn't do a jack aside from that Lords test where he just got lucky when all the pulls and hooks went to fielders... and people starting calling him a unlucky matchwinner..  this guy is the most useless bowler to ever play for India... but our fans and selectors don't see that... atleast IPL teams have realized that this pathetic guy was part of 7 of 8 ipl teams that was in bottom 2  for 8 ipl seasons... and finally IPL teams stopped selecting this guy.. but this unlucky tag will stick with the selectors and he will continue to play for india... sad part is, before every series, he calls himself 'leader of the pace attack' and says how he will groom other bowler..I find that so funny

Spot on he was partly the reason he was never replaced. But now he can be replaced easily.

tbh his only value now is pace and bounce and bringing the game back through low economy but he's still hit and miss. Lets see what he does in England, his third tour btw.

8 hours ago, rahulrulezz said:

:hysterical: its hilarious but cant deny what you have posted 

though i am hoping he performs this time around, because he is definitely getting first 2 tests