Yo-Yo test shouldn’t be sole selection criterion, says Sachin Tendulkar

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/yo-yo-test-shouldn-t-be-sole-selection-criterion-says-sachin-tendulkar/story-ogPLMbbGJlCmfkqNwPN0XO.html

“I feel certain fielding standards are critical. Now I haven’t done the Yo-Yo Test. We had the beep test, which is more or less similar,” said Tendulkar. “But that shouldn’t be the only criterion. It should be a mixture of fitness and also looking at the ability of a player. I think Yo-Yo test is important but also looking at the ability of the player and how fit or unfit the player is.”

“If it continues to be like this — and the kind of surfaces we have seen even in the ODIs — someone like Kuldeep, Chahal and their leg-spinner (Adil Rashid) were able to get some help off the surface. So, if the surfaces are going to be like that in a five-day game, then our spinners are surely in the game. They (England) will hurt Indian batters. But if they are not going to give spinner-friendly surfaces, then it’s going to be a competition between our batting and their batting. We have good depth in our batting. Thus, on a decent surface, it will be difficult to get our batting out.”

“The changes take place depending on the surface, depending on the form of that particular individual, depending on how long the series is because sometimes in a three-Test series you have to make decisions very quickly,” he said. “So, I would say one has to be patient and balanced but that doesn’t mean you are not supposed to make any changes. One should make changes if the situation demands those changes but otherwise I feel it’s always nice to have that stability and letting the players know that there aren’t going to be too many unnecessary changes.”

I

Yoyo is the minimum they should be able to pass...but they should have other skill test too  like catching and fielding .The result should be based on the average score of all.

What is the use of passing yoyo but dropping every second catch or fielding like jadhav.
I feel sometimes a skilled unfit player can do better in cricket than a faltu unskilled aanadi with 19.3 yoyo score

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, beetle said:

What is the use of passing yoyo but dropping every second catch or fielding like jadhav.

Who says Kedar Jadhav passed the yo yo test  ?   :phehe:

Instructor, "  Kedar , it is time for your yo yo test "

Kedar,  " No thanks, I pass the offer "

Instructor ,  " Kedar passed the yo-to test "

For Sachin to make a statement as illinformed as this in 2018 shows how the game has passed him by. Yo-Yo should not be the sole criteria but there has to be a minimum yo-yo standard they have to achieve. The standard they have set is not so high either.

I always bring baseball but that is to show level of professionalism. Allmost all of the baseball batters can run 60 yards in less than 7 seconds and base fielders pretty much can throw the balls at 90 + mph. 

Sachin needs to wake up and smell the coffee.