India vs England: Virat Kohli and co. better prepared for England than 2014, says Cheteshwar Pujara

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/india-vs-england-cheteshwar-pujara-says-indian-batsmen-ready-for-litmus-test-in-england/story-5R3cCsOrOQUAQdVGN4c9EO.html

“We have played a lot of cricket outside the sub-continent since our last tour of England in 2014 and that experience will come in handy. There have been some seaming tracks in India as well and most of the batsmen are experienced in handling the conditions now. We are better prepared this time,” the India number three said over the phone.

“Playing county cricket is always helpful as it allows you to get used to the conditions. England is the toughest place to bat because you have to get used to the weather, and the seaming conditions.

“I don’t want to comment much on technique but this experience will definitely come in handy. The ball swings for good 40 to 50 overs in England and playing more in these conditions allows you to know where to focus,” Pujara opined.

“Temperament is the key in these conditions. One should be ready to grind it out when the ball is moving. Once you settle in, you can gauge the movement off the pitch and in the air and that is when you can play your shots.”

“I think as a cricketer you need to know what and where you can develop your game. Once you work on those areas you can get rid of the chinks. I have worked hard in the nets and I am confident things will change,” said Pujara, who has only one score of fifty plus in 10 innings in England.

“There is no set role for anyone to be honest. You need to change your game according to match situations. When you play in difficult conditions, you have to play according to the merit of the ball.

“I know what things to do to succeed in this format and I play accordingly. The track also determines what kind of a strategy you have as a batsman, and that is why there can’t be any particular roles. As a team we discuss what needs to be done and that’s how we go out and perform,” he said.

“You need to understand that they are a good team. You can’t have a strategy around two or three players. Anyone can be dangerous.

“As batsmen we know their seam duo (James Anderson and Stuart Broad) are tricky customers, but we have to prepare against the others too. Similarly as a bowling unit we will have to work on all their batsmen. Yes, some have been more successful against us but we will have a plan for all of them,” said Pujara.

“We have discussed this issue at length. Our fielding coach spoke to us during the Test match against Afghanistan and we have been practising hard to improve our catching. It will have a big impact on the series and I hope our hard work will help us.

“There is a possibility that the pitches might take turn. How much will it turn will depend on what kind of tracks are prepared but our spinners are talented and they could make a difference this time,” the top order batsman said.

“Kuldeep Yadav is a very talented bowler. I have played against him on several occasions and his variety makes him a difficult bowler to pick.

“I would avoid talking about his selection as that is the decision of the team management but as a player he is capable of doing well,” Pujara said.

“I am very excited about the Test championship. It is the way forward for the longest format and this will be beneficial for everyone. It will give a much needed boost to Test cricket.”

“I am not experienced enough to comment on its merits or demerits. It is a new format and opinion about it is still divided. It is too early to comment about day-night Tests,” Pujara signed off.

3 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Shut up pujara. You embarrassed Indian cricket out there during your ccouunty stint.

Everyone in the world was like how is this guy India's #3 in test matches, a position once held by India's greatest test batsman Rahul Dravid. 

You couldn't even outscore Jamie tattersall and Jack leaning and Adam lyth and tim bresnan. What a joke

Stop talking and retire already

Kaushik Gandhii should be next in line

Hanuman Vihari has done well recently won a tri series final has a winning mentality plus the captain who lead them plays for an honest side whose owners don’t have betting mentality like there were few in 2013 :((.

7 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

Again you are exposing your lack of cricket knowledge by comparing two totally different formats

SMH. I thought you had some potential to learn about the game but with each passing post you make, the hope disappears. Few more posts like this and you'll be in the same bucket as baloo which is the absolute lowest you can go 

We don’t want Trundler Shankar getting smashed like Vinay Kumar was in Perth by Warner.He should stick to Ipl.

Chepu is going to be a beast in this series. 500 run series coming up for him along with lots of aggressive MC BC.

He was just trolling everyone and was not scoring runs in FC season to give false hopes to the English. 

Edited by Shunya