Animal Cruelty in China [ Not for the faint-hearted ] !!!

velu

Got some idea about chinese treat animals from this advchina channel. 

And there are plenty of videos which address this issue.

Animals burned alive to remove their hairs , fishes cooked alive  , ducks burned alive etc etc :(( 

Chinese believe that animals under stress tastes better , so they beat the animal to death before cooking :((

9 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Quit non veg. I could not make my self eat non veg after the age of 10 for the pain we cause to the animal just for a single meal. 

that is a narrow argument. There is recent, emerging evidence that plants feel pain as well as show memory. 

Besides, death does not need to be painful. 1 swift chop of the head and its all over in a few seconds or a minute. 

This whole 'vegetarianism is because we cause pain to animals' is a nonsense argument that is :

a) not entirely true (since plants too have been documented to feel pain and be stressed out by pain). So either way, eating equals killing a life and inflicting pain on some level or another on virtually any living being thats a more complex life-form than uni-cellular algae.

b) going against OUR own evolution as a meat-eating, omnivorous species. Regardless of whether you are a hindu, jain or buddhist, fact remains that we've eaten cooked meat as a species almost universally till recent times. 

We also see long evidence of omnivorous species showing the greatest ability to survive geo-cataclysmic events and that is a no-brainer. A species that eats more variety of things finds it easier to survive global food shortages/portions of food-chain wiped out. 

And as evolution works, we adapt to things we do and lose adaptations that we don't do anymore. At one point our ancestors could process cellulose. Now we cannot. 

So i see this whole vegan/vegetarian thing as a betrayal of our species and akin to 'chopping the branch we sit on' from an evolutionary standpoint, based on some ignorant confirmation bias that supposes feeling of pain is valid only for animals. 

That being said, inflicting unnecessary pain is just horrific and these videos are pretty brutal. Its one thing to chop a head off an animal and let it die in a few seconds/minute, but to torture, is inhumane.

Edited by Muloghonto

^ Although i never advocate others a vegan/vegetarian diet, it is certainly less cruel than otherwise.

i) I'm not sure if the plants have as much of a sensory and nervous system as animals to feel the pain & fear. It could be either way but my green glasses suggest otherwise ;)

ii) I am certain that a plant based diet is in general less cruel since a lot of plants are required to produce a certain amount of meat. 

@ topic, I wonder if they were always this way or communism made them into such barbarians. Having read about the killing fields in the reign of Khmer Rouge, human life was as bad as whatever must be shown above.

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

^ Although i never advocate others a vegan/vegetarian diet, it is certainly less cruel than otherwise.

i) I'm not sure if the plants have as much of a sensory and nervous system as animals to feel the pain & fear. It could be either way but my green glasses suggest otherwise ;)

You dont necessarily need a CNS to feel pain or have thinking. For example, the octopus is known to be one of the most intelligent animals, yet it has over 50% of its brain spread out over its body. Which is why its limbs even severed, show surprising facets of 'independent thinking' till it runs out of energy. 

This whole 'plants dont feel pain because we cant relate to it, but animals do because we can relate to it' is an ignorant argument that is ultimately same as saying suffering of a chimp is more acute than suffering of a dolphin, because we can relate better and understand emotions better for a chimp. 

There is a famous experiment done a few years ago, that shows plants not only feel stress, they also retain memory. Some plants were exposed to caterpillars munching on their leaves, which resulted in them emitting certain stress-releif hormones similar to cortisol. This, was no big news. However, what was interesting, is that the same plants, showed exact same 'stressed out behaviour' when merely the sound of the same caterpillars munching on their leaves were played back to them : indicating plants do have some sort of memory. 

here is a less technical article on the issue of plants feeling pain:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/plants-feel-pain.htm

This whole ' i dont eat meat coz its cruel' is a false argument. Our ancestors could be excused of such belief because they had no means to scientifically verify plants feeling pain, but nowadays we do. And the result is surprising, yet trending towards a decisive nod to the idea that plants do feel pain as well. 

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

ii) I am certain that a plant based diet is in general less cruel since a lot of plants are required to produce a certain amount of meat. 

Depends. For example, if your concern is eco-friendlyness, you may be surprised to find that the same calorific value of lettuce is over 3x more greenhouse-gas generating than bacon. 

Also, farming certain plants are far more damaging to environment than certain animals. For eg, farming pigs and chickens consume less energy & water than farming avocados or almonds. 

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

@ topic, I wonder if they were always this way or communism made them into such barbarians. Having read about the killing fields in the reign of Khmer Rouge, human life was as bad as whatever must be shown above.

Communism. There are lot of literature avail from 1930s-1950s chinese Americans/Hong Kong people who saw in horror as their culture was changed into a much more 'suffering causes strength' mentality under Mao, who used this axiom to pretty much bend the people to his will as he saw fit. 

1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

Depends. For example, if your concern is eco-friendlyness, you may be surprised to find that the same calorific value of lettuce is over 3x more greenhouse-gas generating than bacon. 

Also, farming certain plants are far more damaging to environment than certain animals. For eg, farming pigs and chickens consume less energy & water than farming avocados or almonds. 

How did you insert carbon into cruelty ? Besides, did the pigs and chickens treat the plants ethically while consuming whatever they do ?

Sad. I don't understand why there is such a lack of empathy for animals. There was a thread where I had posted tons of videos from Dogs and Cats being hurt in China to Dolphins being massacred in Japan 

PS :((

Edited by zen

Muslims are notorious for these sorts of things, a few months back in Hyderabad some of them were arrested for sexually assaulting chickens. Goats/camels are har roz ki cheez for them. Even Pakistan tops in animal sex searches. Arabs supposedly are the Vincis and Picassos of this art. Indonesia was in the news for having an Orangutan as sex slave. 

Wonder why? How can anyone * animals :facepalm:?

Edited by Gollum

The Chinese are very barbaric in how they produce meat, but factory farming in the West is just as bad, imo. 

Also, it seems aquatic animals are the worst treated. When people capture fish to eat, they basically let them suffocate to death by dragging them out of the water and not immediately killing them. There are also crabs/lobsters which are boiled alive and eaten. All of it seems very grotesque. 

The most moral way to eat meat is to grow/catch and swiftly kill the animals oneself, imo. A simple, swift beheading of an animal is as cruelty free as one can get. 

I am going to rant here but...

What is most annoying to me whenever these issues are brought up are people like:  1) pseudo-environmentalists and 2) Paleo diet types

1) Pseudo-environmentalists are basically people who virtue-signal about how environmentally aware they or how the world needs to take action against climate change, but then they also fail to condemn the entire meat industry which is one of the largest contributors toward pollution of the earth (carbon emissions) and environmental destruction. I'm sorry to say, but spare me the sloganeering about how much you love the environment when you basically contribute directly to the destruction of the planet through the meat industry.  What's worse is they don't even have the courage to speak out against the massive subsidies that Western countries give to this meat industry/agriculture in general, to even make the meat so readily available. What happened to all the anti-corporatism sloganeering/activism? When it actually affects your stomach you are okay with government collusion with industry? The planet can go to hell, isn't it? 

2) Paleo-diet types(paleos) those who advocate copying the early human diet, but many others as well, are the biggest proponents of the naturalistic fallacy. Something is "natural" therefore one can/should do it. These people act like humans are not animals themselves where everything humans themselves do can't be said to be natural. New Flash: there are justifications through evolutionary biology for numerous behaviors which humans find grotesque including for example: honor killing, rape, and cannibalism. All three have evolutionary benefits to the exponents of the action; all three are natural. That something is natural doesn't make it moral or worth continuing. 

What's even worse about Paleos is that they argue that people should eat like early humans, mostly meat and vegetables, but they don't seem to understand that evolution didn't stop at that point. Humans' ability to eat dairy and grain, two food types Paleos oppose, is also a product of evolution, and therefore natural. 

The Paleos also fail to understand the early human diet which they feel the need to trumpet. Early humans were basically opportunistic omnivores. See squirrel, catch squirrel, eat squirrel; see berries, pick berries, eat berries. Geniuses don't seem to realize that there is little which is "paleo" about eating domesticated animals. :phehe:     

These two types are more annoying than an average meat eating person who simply eats meat because they always have. The later is basically innocent, one just has to convince them/regulate the industry and they themselves will willingly start avoiding meat consumption.   1) is a hypocrite, 2) is ignorant. 

6 hours ago, Tibarn said:

The Chinese are very barbaric in how they produce meat, but factory farming in the West is just as bad, imo. 

Also, it seems aquatic animals are the worst treated. When people capture fish to eat, they basically let them suffocate to death by dragging them out of the water and not immediately killing them. There are also crabs/lobsters which are boiled alive and eaten. All of it seems very grotesque. 

The most moral way to eat meat is to grow/catch and swiftly kill the animals oneself, imo. A simple, swift beheading of an animal is as cruelty free as one can get. 

I am going to rant here but...

What is most annoying to me whenever these issues are brought up are people like:  1) pseudo-environmentalists and 2) Paleo diet types

1) Pseudo-environmentalists are basically people who virtue-signal about how environmentally aware they or how the world needs to take action against climate change, but then they also fail to condemn the entire meat industry which is one of the largest contributors toward pollution of the earth (carbon emissions) and environmental destruction. I'm sorry to say, but spare me the sloganeering about how much you love the environment when you basically contribute directly to the destruction of the planet through the meat industry.  What's worse is they don't even have the courage to speak out against the massive subsidies that Western countries give to this meat industry/agriculture in general, to even make the meat so readily available. What happened to all the anti-corporatism sloganeering/activism? When it actually affects your stomach you are okay with government collusion with industry? The planet can go to hell, isn't it? 

This point is problematic, as unlike environmental costs to practically everything else, meat, strictly speaking, is not a luxury item. 

It is not required, but the practical reality is, species homo sapiens evolved with eating meat- even if not bovine, but some sort of meat (which in reality would've likely  been bugs and rodents in the beginning, then mostly hunting venison). 

We have decisive evidence of meat consumption being nearly universal amongst homo sapiens from the middle/late pleistocine era. Our biology also confirms this ( we are an omnivorous species) and there is also decisive evidence that omnivorous species suffer the least & slowest rate of extinction in a global cataclysm event (aka food shortage). 

As such, many of us are simply not willing to fcuk with this decisively dominant adpatation we have. You are a biologist, you should know that in biological terms, there is strong indication that evolution works in the whole 'you lose what you don't use' mechanism. 

So in conclusion, i see vegetarianism as an existential threat to mankind if mass adopted. It also makes mankind inherently less free, as in reality, it reduces the option of finding my own food. As someone who's gone hardcore camping, trekking and hunting, i can decisively say, that your ability to forage food and feed yourself for the day from a vegetarian strandpoint, is decisively lower than shooting an animal, cooking it and then eating it. 

All this, directly and decisively conflicts with the 'meat is global warming agent' moralism. 

But the reality is, as long as we eat Asiatic portions of meat (and not the neo-western, which is post industrialist American food model) and we severely limit the consumption of beef, a large % of GHG from food industry is addressed. A simple transition to predominantly eating chicken can see a 3/4th reduction of GHG from meat industry (from an extreme projection POV).

Furthermore, vegetarianism itself is guilty of GHG emissions too: via transportation. 
Now you may say that we have to transport everything, then why target veggies, but reality is, there definitely are veggies that are worse than meat for its GHG footprint. Eg: lettuce. for the amount of nutrition lettuce offers, it is actually 3x more GHG intensive than Bacon. 

Almonds and Avocados guzzle so much water that they make rice look like a 'desert plant', massively increasing their ecological footprint. 

More or less completely agree with your next section.

3 hours ago, Hydra said:

And India? Indians love to point fingers but when the finger is pointed at them they deny it, happens all the time lol.

Err we are far better on the animal cruelty spectrum than Australia, nevermind China. We certainly don't set animals on fire to make them taste better. We also don't stuff most animals their entire life in cages and handle them with industrial arms and levels that gouge and hurt them, either. 
We mostly eat chickens, goats, mutton and fish, with some cow/buffalo being eaten but almost ALL our animals are free-range. They run around in the backyards of chicken-farmers, goat-farmers wander whole day with their goats grazing etc. 

So GTFO with your racist anti-India nonsense everywhere.