Toss will be key

But batting last can never be an advantage with scorecard pressure and chance of spin playing a role. We won in Headingley 2002 batting 1st, we won Lord's 2014 batting 1st. I will argue that England is one place where toss isn't a big factor, doesn't matter if you bat or bowl first you will have a good chance of dictating the course of the match right from the start. Australia later this year will be different with toss playing a key role.

Edited by Gollum

If India won the toss should ball first. They need to see how England bats and based on that they take the lead on first innings. Usually in England, best date to bat is day 2 and 3. Unlike subcontinent, since there is no turn in day 5 pitch, I don't think India can chase something less than 300 target even in day 5.

11 hours ago, Gollum said:

But batting last can never be an advantage with scorecard pressure and chance of spin playing a role. We won in Headingley 2002 batting 1st, we won Lord's 2014 batting 1st. I will argue that England is one place where toss isn't a big factor, doesn't matter if you bat or bowl first you will have a good chance of dictating the course of the match right from the start. Australia later this year will be different with toss playing a key role.

in fact, England is one place where toss is a big factor unlike SA.  Not every time England batsmen will lose their like they did in lords tests that was England's for the taking.