Adil Rashid, Moeen Ali, Jamie Porter in England squad for first Test

SK_IH

Rashid is a pretty disgraceful selection. Smells of a dirty clique/quota pick. Last played test cricket 2 years ago and domestic 4 day cricket a year ago. Plus he looks like he's in his late 30s. 

The selection of Adil Rashid in England's squad for the first Test will go down as one of the great betrayals of county cricket.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24197540/adil-rashid-recall-expedient-unprincipled-unfaithful

Its tantamount to selecting Piyush Chawla for test cricket on the back of some IPL games

Image result for piyush chawla 2018

Edited by The Realist

Adil "I'm not interested in red ball cricket anymore" Rashid.

I'm more inclined to support him than a lot of Yorkshire supporters who gave up their support of him after he pulled out of a Championship deciding match a couple of years ago with some bullshit excuse, but I'm not impressed with how he's pissed the club around here

Edited by YCCC
11 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Plays a delivery badly and then gives the expression like it was something unplayable.  Playing across the line instead of playing with the straight bat. This habit of his will put him in some serious hole this series. He needs to try to play as straight as possible against pacers even if the ball is on the leg stump, present as straight a bat as possible.   

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/tough-decision-to-myself-available-for-england-test-squad-says-adil-rashid-5278253/

Adil Rashid hits back at Michael Vaughan, says comments on Test return are ‘stupid’

“He (Vaughan) can say a lot and he thinks people might listen. A lot of people have got no interest in what he says. His opinions do not matter to anybody. When I mentioned at the start of the year I will not be playing red-ball cricket, he tweeted something then. He was being controversial and saying his stupid things then too,” Rashid was quoted as saying by BBC Sport.

“I don’t think he has an agenda against me. I played under and with him but sometimes ex-players come out and start talking nonsense about current players. If he wants to carry on talking just because he is bored with nothing better to say, then that is his choice. There will be people out there who are not happy. There will be haters, like the pundits who are saying it is a disgrace. That is not my fault.”

“I don’t see what the big deal is. It was not an easy decision, but when your country wants you and asks if you are available, you cannot just say no,” said Rashid.

Asked if there was a lack of support from Yorkshire on his Test selection, Rashid said: “At times there can be. They might be disappointed for various reasons, but it would have been nice if the chief executive or head coach could have said, ‘well done, congratulations on being selected, good on you’ – as opposed to being angry and upset for not playing red-ball cricket for them, even though I told them I would not be doing so.

“I did not do anything wrong in that sense. There is no reason for Yorkshire to react like this. It was not something I expected or wanted. It would have been nice to have got the support from your county or the people close to you, but if they do not want to give their support, that is their problem.”

Yorkshire chief executive Mark Arthur had been critical of Rashid’s recall to the Test team, saying the county side were “surprised that England have called Adil up after not playing red-ball cricket this season”

Asked about this, Rashid said, “I don’t need anybody’s support in that situation. I know what I want to do and achieve. If I give 100% and it goes well, it goes well. If it doesn’t then I will still be happy. If they treat me like they have done, don’t see any value in me and are disrespectful to me, I have to think about the future in terms of which county I play for.”

Rashid, however, got the backing of England seamer Stuart Broad who said the leg-spinner was a “proven international performer” and “natural wicket-taker” and that those traits could prove key in a “big series”.

“I think the selectors were very keen to have someone spinning the ball away from the right-handers. He’s been in form in the white-ball stuff and bowled some beautiful deliveries against Australia and India so will be coming in with lots of confidence,” Broad was quoted as saying by ‘Sky Sports’.

“You want natural wicket-takers in your side and Adil is a proven international performer, which I think is important when you go into really big series. You want people who have withstood pressure throughout their career – Adil is someone who’s done that.”

‘Tough decision to return’

Having decided to quit red-ball cricket for good, leg-spinner Adil Rashid admitted that it was a “tough decision” to make himself available for England in Tests. “It was definitely a tough decision and obviously I was kind of surprised because to get back in the Test side usually people have to go back to your county and perform to be considered,” he told Sky Sports News.

“After the ODIs there was a discussion that me and Ed (selector Ed Smith) had, just regarding – you know – how you feel about playing, or being part of the squad, this summer against India.

“So obviously I had to think about it, considering I hadn’t played red-ball game for a little while; but this opportunity I couldn’t buy at it – I had to think about it and make a decision. I said ‘I’ll make myself available’ and if you guys want to select me in the squad then I’ll come and try my best.”

Rashid added his time away from Test cricket won’t put him under pressure. “My role, hopefully, going into the team would be as it was for the ODIs and T20s – as how Morgs (Eoin Morgan) uses me. It will be exactly the same but with a red ball,” he said.

“It will be to come in and try to take wickets, create chances – that’ll be your job because if you do play two spinners, the other spinner can maybe look to keep it under twos or threes and my job will be to create the chances and hopefully get wickets.”

Rashid said he will take a call on his future in Yorkshire after discussing with the stakeholders.

“Going back to Yorkshire that’s something we need to sit down and discuss about the future. But for now obviously Yorkshire have got the news and from there Yorkshire, England and myself are dealing with the situation as it is,” said Rashid, whose contract with Yorkshire is up at the end of this season.

“Moving forward, I know that if I want to be available for Test cricket, I need to be playing red-ball cricket. When that time comes I’m sure we’ll sit down and make a decision. If the opportunity is there, then I’ll try my best to play four-day cricket as well.

“I’ve been here [Yorkshire] now since I was 10 years old so this is home for me; you know how things can change but hopefully we’ve got to sit down with Martyn Moxon and myself and my dad, and whoever, and have a chat about the future because things and people’s mindsets and feelings always change as they go on, so let’s see what happens.”