Engand- India All time dream team XI

Sooda

2 spinners Sooda? Where are they playing?  That's a good bowling line-up for India - but then I'd argue for Sehwag ahead of Cook in India.  In England, you gotta bench Kumble and bring in another front-line pacer. I'm partial to Srinath, but his  career numbers aren't the greatest.  

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

2 spinners Sooda? Where are they playing?  That's a good bowling line-up for India - but then I'd argue for Sehwag ahead of Cook in India.  In England, you gotta bench Kumble and bring in another front-line pacer. I'm partial to Srinath, but his  career numbers aren't the greatest.  

Yes I kinda listed it for a "neutral" pitch I guess. Would pick Zaheer for left arm variety instead of Kumble if in England.

Not sure if I'd want to replace Sunny with Viru... That top three could bore the opposition into submission if nothing else. 

Wonder if a pure keeper like Knott would be better , got two all rounders after all

Not sure if I'd want to replace Sunny with Viru.

When picking any combined XI that involves Indian players, I write in Gavaskar and then think of the 10 others.  As openers go, he is unparalleled.

If you're looking for aggression, dump Cook and take Sehwag.  

Gavaskar

Cook

Dravid

Tendulkar

Vishwanath (it was between him and Pietersen, but Pietersen is not from Bengaluru, so ...)

Botham

Kapil Dev

Stewart (grudgingly over Kirmani)

Kumble

Anderson

Zaheer/Swann

1 hour ago, Brainfade said:

When picking any combined XI that involves Indian players, I write in Gavaskar and then think of the 10 others.  As openers go, he is unparalleled.

If you're looking for aggression, dump Cook and take Sehwag.  

Gavaskar

Cook

Dravid

Tendulkar

Vishwanath (it was between him and Pietersen, but Pietersen is not from Bengaluru, so ...)

Botham

Kapil Dev

Stewart (grudgingly over Kirmani)

Kumble

Anderson

Zaheer/Swann

My dad raves so much about Vishy - even more than SMG.  And you know SMG himself raves about Vishy.  There are some parallels to VVS there - they got tough runs for the team at badly needed times, and at their best, it was magical artistry on display.  But career numbers aren't quite up there.  

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

My dad raves so much about Vishy - even more than SMG.  And you know SMG himself raves about Vishy.  There are some parallels to VVS there - they got tough runs for the team at badly needed times, and at their best, it was magical artistry on display.  But career numbers aren't quite up there.  

Yes. These type of players get the short end of the stick in debates. Larry Gomes was one such player too. All the WI guys respected him, coz when they had their rare batting collapses, this guy stood up and resisted. 

9 hours ago, sandeep said:

I would choose Srinath for adding some genuine pace to the attack.  Most teams chosen in this thread, with players from 70s onwards, have only swing bowlers and every attack needs variety and genuine pace.

-- I will only choose players whom I have seen play.( England has been a poor to average side from the mid 1980s to mid 2000s and not many greats or top players are available to choose from )

--  Teams chosen will vary based on country in which match is played in

-- Most top batters till the 1980s ( barring the great West Indian batters  )  just focused on surviving. It is important to choose some batters who will score quickly and set the match up, (  like Tendulkar, Sehwag, Petersen, Kohli ) and some batters who can survive when chips are down  (  like Gavaskar, Dravid ). Combining both types is important.

Test match in India  ( Home venue 1 )  or in other Asians countries ----

1. Gavaskar

2. Sehwag

3. Pujara

4. Tendulkar

5. Kohli

6. Dhoni

7. Ashwin

8. Kumble

9. Swann

10. Srinath

11. Shami  

Test match in England  ( Home venue 2 )  or in Newzealand ----

1. Gavaskar

2. Cook / Gooch

3. Dravid

4. Tendulkar

5. Root

6. Botham

7. Kapil

8. Saha

9. Swann

10. Harmison / Gough

11. Anderson

Other Away venues ---- ( Australia, SA, WI )

1. Gavaskar

2. Sehwag

3. Dravid

4. Tendulkar

5. Kohli

6. Botham

7. Stewart

8. Kapil

9. Swann

10. Srinath

11. Broad

Edited by express bowling
11 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Hobbs

Gavaskar

Hutton

Tendulkar

Hammond

Dravid

Knott

Larwood 

Laker 

Snow

Barnes

Would be my ideal line-up without any restrictions.

Otherwise

Gavaskar

Sehwag 

Dravid

Tendulkar

Hammond

Laxman

Knott

Larwood 

Laker

Snow

Barnes

How the hell did I forget Trueman? :facepalm:Brainfade on my part. He'd replace Snow in both sides.

6-5 is an unfair split, in a perfect XI max 3-4 Indian players will make the cut. Let me try the 6-5 one assuming a neutral pitch that keeps all parties in the thick of action at some stage.

Gavaskar

Hobbs

Dravid (c)

Tendulkar

Hammond

Botham

Kapil

Knott (wk)

Underwood

Trueman

Prasanna

no LHBs !!!

Among those I watched:

Cook (c)

Sehwag

Dravid

SRT

KP

Stewart (wk)

Flintoff

Ashwin

Kumble

Anderson

Srinath

10 minutes ago, velu said:

you forgot Dhoni as well :hehe:

Dhoni won't even make it to the 3rd India-England XI. Even assuming he is our greatest test WK (doubtful) there are Knott, Stewart and Prior well ahead of him in the pecking order.

33 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Dhoni won't even make it to the 3rd India-England XI. Even assuming he is our greatest test WK (doubtful) there are Knott, Stewart and Prior well ahead of him in the pecking order.

who is knott ? :dontknow:

prior and stewart are one or two grades below dhoni ..

prior got mentally disintegrated and retired like a chciken

and only good thing about alex Stewart is that he played till 40 ( which is a good sign for dhoni fans :p: )

3 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

I was wondering that as well. Was also surprised Kapil missing from your playing 11. imo he's world's ATG. Anyways, your team so fair enough.

He is an ATG all-rounder but in Tests I am a firm believer in picking the 6 best batsmen and 4 best bowlers. In an ATG side we are spoilt for choice when it comes to bowlers so Botham and Kapil missed out.

1 hour ago, velu said:

who is knott ? :dontknow:

prior and stewart are one or two grades below dhoni ..

prior got mentally disintegrated and retired like a chciken

and only good thing about alex Stewart is that he played till 40 ( which is a good sign for dhoni fans :p: )

Did he retire midway through a series while losing in Australia? :phehe: