Adil Rashid PICKED for first England Test against India as Jos Buttler is named new vice-captain to Joe Root

England have named Adil Rashid as their lone spinner for the first Test against India, which begins on Wednesday at Edgbaston. It will be his first Test since the fifth Test against India in Chennai in December 2016.

England: 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Keaton Jennings, 3 Joe Root (capt), 4 Dawid Malan, 5 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jos Buttler, 8 Adil Rashid, 9 Sam Curran, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18018/preview/1119549/england-vs-india-1st-test-ind-eng-2018

Edited by R!TTER
Just now, sandeep said:

Looks like England have finally realized that Moeen Ali is not a front-line spinner, but more of a batsman who bowls decent.  With Buttler, Stokes and Bairstow lengthening the batting line-up, they don't need his batting as much, and went with the spinner that gives them a better chance of picking up wickets.  

Except Moen has easily outbowled Rashid, in Engalnd. Looking at that lineup I'd be tempted to bowl Kuldeep instead of Ashwin, play Pandya as the sole A/R with 3 main seamers. But knowing Kohli, he'll take the safer route and play Ashwin for his batting.

Follow the home team's strategy because they know their conditions better than us. Play 1 spinner. In fact that is what we have to do whole series since they almost always announce their XI 1 day in advance...if 2 spinners, that may be because they expect pitch to turn, if 4 quicks there won't be much purchase for spinners, so on and so forth. 

Here we need to go with Pandya, Kuldeep, Shami, Umesh and Ishant. 

Edited by Gollum

Also have to keep in mind that English management will be privy to some extra info that the home curators may not share with the Indian counterparts. Based on my experience home teams hardly ever bungle up team selection, all the * ups are done by visiting teams and that is another reason why away record is so poor for all countries.

I remember making this point on this very forum before the Adelaide test in 2014. There also they announced the team in advance and Kohli went in with the mediocre Karn Sharma who got smashed to bits. Coming into that series I remember whispers of Lyon about to be axed after his horror UAE tour...he was literally on his last lifeline then. So when I saw his name announced I said we need to play Ashwin because them Aussies aren't fools to pick an under fire, demoralized and struggling offie. Well we saw what happened there, by day 3 a huge rough started developing which offies could target....Karn couldn't bowl there because that was too wide for a leggie. Ashwin came back for the last 3 tests and outbowled Lyon....I am sure he would have made an impact with both bat and ball in Adelaide. His client Warner scored twin 100s in Adelaide and then got dismissed by Ashwin 4 times in the next 3 tests !!! Even there we had the moron Shastribot as coach, Cool was also on that tour and probably had his mindless inputs. 

Edited by Gollum
49 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Except Moen has easily outbowled Rashid, in Engalnd. Looking at that lineup I'd be tempted to bowl Kuldeep instead of Ashwin, play Pandya as the sole A/R with 3 main seamers. But knowing Kohli, he'll take the safer route and play Ashwin for his batting.

I think you are reading too much into Ali's past stats. He's plateaued badly as a bowler in the last couple of years.  Rashid has always been a spin version of Umesh Yadav, a bit of a runs leaker, but still comes up with wicket taking deliveries.  He needs to be handled right by England, and he really hasn't.  The new England Selector is making a lot of right moves for them - I had been talking about making Buttler an all-format player, Bairstow a LOI regular, and building Rashid's confidence for more than a year now.  They are now doing all 3.  Good signs for England.  But they still have a weak pace attack, and a fragile batting line-up up top. 

I just pray that India's bowling is consistent enough with their executions to keep the game alive. The absolute nightmare scenario is some early slip drops, and inconsistent bowling that allows them to get away to a 400 in T1.  It could cost us the series.  Goddam I miss Bhuvi.  

And btw, I don't want Pandya in the XI in T1 - He weakens the bowling too much - he's a support bowler who can get lucky - in tests right now.  And I expect India to be sub-par with the bat in T1, it is absolutely crucial that the bowlers don't concede too big a lead here.  No room for luxury passenger picks in the bowling unit.  We can gamble on Pandya in one of the later tests with less bowling friendly conditions.  

20 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Also have to keep in mind that English management will be privy to some extra info that the home curators may not share with the Indian counterparts. Based on my experience home teams hardly ever bungle up team selection, all the * ups are done by visiting teams and that is another reason why away record is so poor for all countries.

I remember making this point on this very forum before the Adelaide test in 2014. There also they announced the team in advance and Kohli went in with the mediocre Karn Sharma who got smashed to bits. Coming into that series I remember whispers of Lyon about to be axed after his horror UAE tour...he was literally on his last lifeline then. So when I saw his name announced I said we need to play Ashwin because them Aussies aren't fools to pick an under fire, demoralized and struggling offie. Well we saw what happened there, by day 3 a huge rough started developing which offies could target....Karn couldn't bowl there because that was too wide for a leggie. Ashwin came back for the last 3 tests and outbowled Lyon....I am sure he would have made an impact with both bat and ball in Adelaide. His client Warner scored twin 100s in Adelaide and then got dismissed by Ashwin 4 times in the next 3 tests !!! Even there we had the moron Shastribot as coach, Cool was also on that tour and probably had his mindless inputs. 

Well said. 

Judging by the English bowling selection, the pitch is likely to help medium pace seam/swing quite a bit, and not the genuinely quick.  A Bhuvi or a Philander in the opposition, and the pommies wouldn't have prepped a track like this.  Lets just pray that Ishant, Umesh and Shami can get their line and lengths right quickly and keep them there.  

Edited by sandeep

They lost the series no?

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Boycott is not having a bar of it.

“It makes him look like a spoilt brat,” he wrote. “Not only has he put two fingers up to Yorkshire by not playing four-day cricket, Adil is now not available for Yorkshire’s Twenty20 matches. He still doesn’t get it that he won’t play for Yorkshire but will play for England and thinks Yorkshire should be thrilled for him.”“If he trashes me, like he trashed Vaughan, so be it but our cricketing public know which guys have played well for England and so far Rashid isn’t one of them.”

:phehe:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/uk-view-geoffrey-boycott-slams-spoilt-brat-adil-rashid/news-story/81ce1654c2e2ca069a0a6aef64b20b90