Root vs Kohli - battle of captaincy

By and large, Root has been a meek captain. 

Root

16 matches 6 won 8 lost An abysmal W/L ratio of 0.75

In contrast 

Kohli

35 matches 21 won 5 lost. Stunning W/L ratio of 4.2

Kohli as a captain is not exactly up against an astute leader or tactician. He is a run of the mill captain who became the captain by default. He should exploit it every ounce. Put them on the defensive as often as possible. Quite often even good teams cannot perform up to their potential if they are led by a poor captain. This is neither a great England team nor they have a great captain. Kohli has to win this battle.

Edited by vvvslaxman

Root hasn't impressed me so far. As long as I have followed cricket, England always had tactically astute and/or inspiring captains like Hussain, Vaughan, Strauss..even Cook had his admirable qualities. Root is a great batsman but why does his leadership remind me of RaGa's comedy? So subservient, childish and meek....granted Kohli too is a mug but he is up against possibly the worst captain in the world. Root may improve but so far he has been acting like an immature kid. I swear he was literally on his knees half the time while fielding in that 1st test against Pakistan....I have been through hell under Captain Cool but WTF was Root doing there? How do English fans even put up with such a man-child as skipper? @YCCC must have seen him enough since he is from Yorkshire...any views?

Root could be a good captain if he hadn't been thrown into it so early. I feared at the time it would take away his personality and indeed his form and it has proven right. He's had to water down his immaturity quite a bit actually and I miss the old cheeky chappy he used to be before captaincy.

I think he does have a maturity somewhere away from the game. He is into his second year of fatherhood, which I still can't believe but good on him, and is married. Not that I place a great emphasis on such things but I do think it takes great maturity to take on such responsibility at his age. I'm only just into my second proper relationship and I'm only a couple of years younger :--D