World Badminton Championships 2018

Gollum

Venue: Nanjing, China

Women: Sindhu, Saina

Saina has a draw from hell, not surprising because she is ranked no 10. R3 against Intanon (former World Champ) and if she somehow wins that possible QF against the legendary Carolina Marin :phew:

Sindhu is world no 3 and has a kinder draw but in the QF she may run into the defending champ and her vanquisher from last year, the Japanese energizer bunny Okuhara :fear1:

Men: Srikanth, Prannoy, Sai Praneeth and a newbie Sameer Verma

Srikanth is the only realistic hope and he has got a cakewalk draw...let's see if he can make use of it.

Too much sports this week but perhaps we can keep track of the badminton from R16 or R8 onwards. We have never won gold, either in men's or women's...hope this time it is different. I don't usually follow doubles, so sorry for not including that in OP.

Edited by Gollum

Missed all India matches except 1 each of Saina/Sindhu. Sorry for late updates but test cricket was too engrossing. 

All men knocked out including Kidambi who had a dream draw.

Saina beat Intanon but got crushed by Marin...brutal massacre that was. Sindhu beat Okuhara and will now face world no 2 Yamaguchi in SF. Let's hope she is the bearer of good news after our expected loss tomorrow. 

Got a hotstar notification of Sindhu vs Yamaguchi SF. Sindhu won the first set by then and was down 12-19 in the 2nd. From there she won 7 straight points to make it 19-19 and finally won the set 24-22 and in turn won the match as well.

Just what I required after the disappointing test loss.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I think Sindhu might easily end up as India's greatest female athlete by the time she finishes her career...she is almost there if she wins tomorrow...Sindhu has pretty good chance to end her career with most number of medals in World Championships history (Women's Singles)...as of now she has 4 and I think highest is some Chinese player with 5... she is just a different player when it comes to big tournaments...reached QF in all the 5 World Championships she played in and reached SF in 4 out of 5 tournaments. Also reached final in biggest event of the year in last 3 years (Olympics 2016, WC 2017 and now WC 2018)...that's freaking impressive considering how competitive Women's Singles competition has been in recent years... I just hope she wins Gold this time, last year's final loss was so heart breaking

2 hours ago, jusarrived said:

She better not choke again. 

Little disappointed with srikant, he was in good form and an easy draw. May be we have already seen the best of him. 

Lakshya sen is the one to watch out for, kid has already at 16 he's beating some good players 

sindhu looks tired.... marin looks like she snorted some cocaine

Marin won quite comfortably in the end, deserved winner. But her gamesmanship is despicable to say the least. Sindhu and Saina need to figure out something to counter her dirty mind games, they get badly affected by it especially in big matches. In fact all Asian players get intimidated/put off by her antics. Even yesterday her feline shrieks and alternate rushing/time delaying tactics affected the Chinese opponent badly, even Chinese coach had to intervene to complain to the umpire. 

Edited by Gollum

Momentum completely shifted at the 14-9 mark when Sindhu was leading. Marin completely started dominating the game both mentally and imposing herself on Sindhu.  I think Sindhu was taken back and the self belief at that point started shifting as well.  Sure Marin is quicker but IMO Sindhu needs to use her attacking game against Marin and use that power to counter Marin and play to here strengths. Sindhu hardly smashed to overthrow the balance of the opponent..the few times she did, Sindhu was able to get the better of Marin.  Initially Marin was making a lot of unforced errors but the belief and self confidence was still there.  Another area Sindhu got the better of Marin in the first game was forcing Marin to play towards  here right  where Marin lost her balance when going for those straight smashes down the line. Marin though started targeting Sindhu on the body and not giving her any room at all.   Gotta work on that mental aspect when facing someone as imposing as marin.

Edited by PBN