Shubman Gill- time to step up, your country needs you

Was right behind the bowler in the stadium yesterday and as I saw Indian wickets fall like a house of cards, I couldn’t help but think had we had a slightly more competent batting order- we would have walked away with that game. Vijay near retirement, Dhawan never was a test opener and Chepu struggles overseas. You can’t do worse than get out for 10-15 odd runs. At least with a youngster we will be investing for the future ie they can learn from their failures. I think there’s enough data on our current top order to know that they will never be solid, let alone gun overseas batsmen. Shubman Gill looks ready with a game set up for test cricket. Something radical is required.

Edited by mancalledsting
4 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Was right behind the bowler in the stadium yesterday and as I saw Indian wickets fall like a house of cards, I couldn’t help but think had we had a slightly more competent batting order- we would have walked away with that game. Vijay near retirement, Dhawan never was a test opener and Chepu struggles overseas. You can’t do worse than get out for 10-15 odd runs. At least with a youngster we will be investing for the future ie they can learn from their failures. I think there’s enough data on our current top order to know that they will never be solid, let alone gun overseas batsmen. Shubman Gill looks ready with a game set up for test cricket. Something radical is required.

Mate .. it won't happen  that soon. 

1. He will have to play coming full domestic season. 

2. Then he will be in A test teams .

3. Will have to complete atleast 2 overseas tours and succeed .

Only then he will be considered .

This may mean only in 2020. 

This may be very near to reality based on present selection process followed . 

I think Nair, Vihari will get their chance first in middle order. 

and for openers  Mayank , Shaw will be considered , one of them will come in by next series .  

7 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

He is too young and very inexperienced to play in these conditions. And Test match batting is way harder than LOIs. Let him play one more domestic season and A matches and then we can hype him up for test matches. Mayank and Vihari are ahead of him in the queue.

By the time he comes, he'll be completely ruined by showbiz.
Already he's a part of the srk-kjo cartel which is toxic and has begin his modelling Creds.
Media will cream their pants for a piece of shubman even more than they did for Kohli+Pandya+KL

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

By the time he comes, he'll be completely ruined by showbiz.
Already he's a part of the srk-kjo cartel which is toxic and has begin his modelling Creds.
Media will cream their pants for a piece of shubman even more than they did for Kohli+Pandya+KL

Can you please not bring the same showbiz angle to each and every cricket thread.

If your interest lies only in the off the field and non-cricketing aspects of the players, may be create a separate exclusive thread for that kind of a discussion.

I feel Shubman and Prithvi should be in the squad for next test series. It's not like they are going to do poorly than the hyped FTB's that are currently playing tests. Problem is there is too much weightage on experience and more so repeated faith on experienced batsmen who were supposed to fail in SA and some bowling friendly wickets in England. Can they really average worse than the current batch. Why not look for all weather batsmen who can carry the team in all conditions. We need batsmen who perform in tough conditions.  

19 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

He is a brilliant talent but I believe he has not played any 4 day games.I can see him being in the team after the 2019 WC when we will need new faces.But really love his attitude guy can be our mainstay for years to come.

6 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

:hatsoff:Top post this even the likes of Pant may have faltered against Broad and Anderson in Edgbaston and also as you have said a lot of times Rahul or Pant are on their first tour we should have low expectations from them.

yes and the reason being this is a different era.  it is not easy to switch from T20 to tests with playing much 4-day cricket behind. there was a time 20-30 years back, when batsmen used to prepare for test cricket and ODIs were secondary when likes of Dravid debuted. those guys were fully concentrated on tests.  Now i give an example of Rahul. when he debuted in Aus, he scored a 100 in his 2nd test and his approach was completely different in that innings. he was not a T20 star back then. he will have to get back to test mode again.  his first innings showed he was still in t20 mode.  2nd innings he looked better but got a peach.

19 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

Bro @mancalledsting is a brilliant poster and he is right we do need the likes of Gill,Shaw or few other youngsters in the near future.

But that thing you are quoting is no human, just a powered bot which works on NLP (natural language processing)now  he does understand certain words but doesn't understand the context n yeaa he also doesn't understand cricket.

Can you see #ggmu on bot @Rasgullas profile?? That shows bot was actually designed for triggering football discussion since not many posters here are interested in discussing football, but some dhoni fan installed 'pro-dhoni.exe' file in bots system n since then it has become a complete dhoni parrot n hates anyone who criticize dhoni, how good n sensible that poster may be it doesn't matter to his CPU.

He is a brilliant talent but I believe he has not played any 4 day games.I can see him being in the team after the 2019 WC when we will need new faces.But really love his attitude guy can be our mainstay for years to come.

Nah until Kohli is there,we don't think we'll have a very new team.
People who are thinking the likes of Gill are going to be in the team post 19WC, then you people are seeing wet dreams.
At most only Iyer, Shaw and Pant will have chances.
Especially Shaw - given Kohli's attitude, he's more likely to retain Dinesh Kartik for a while and then go for Sanju Samson if he improves enough.
But I do think only these have sure shot chances to break into the team-Dhawan I don't think will stick until 2023 and so will Rahane, Raina, Manish Pandey.
Mayank Agarwal also has a chance since he's "matured" enough but that will depend on his IPL.
Shami will be replaced by Siraj.
Hardik Pandya will be dropped when Arjun Tendulkar will become ready.
That's the only foolproof place to shield the Prince of Desi Cricket
Bump me here on this thread if my predictions go wrong.

5 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Nah until Kohli is there,we don't think we'll have a very new team.
People who are thinking the likes of Gill are going to be in the team post 19WC, then you people are seeing wet dreams.
At most only Iyer, Shaw and Pant will have chances.
Especially Shaw - given Kohli's attitude, he's more likely to retain Dinesh Kartik for a while and then go for Sanju Samson if he improves enough.
But I do think only these have sure shot chances to break into the team-Dhawan I don't think will stick until 2023 and so will Rahane, Raina, Manish Pandey.
Mayank Agarwal also has a chance since he's "matured" enough but that will depend on his IPL.
Shami will be replaced by Siraj.
Hardik Pandya will be dropped when Arjun Tendulkar will become ready.
That's the only foolproof place to shield the Prince of Desi Cricket
Bump me here on this thread if my predictions go wrong.

Yup, it's true he prefers to keep backing experience, even if they have a tailender like averages. It is very unlikely he goes a for a change and tries to develop the youngsters for now and future series and build a team of all weather batsmen. Perhaps he thinks there would not be tests which would be played on wickets and conditions where our batsmen will struggle and then when they score of batsmen friendly wickets people will forget the real problems once again.