Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mancalledsting

Shubman Gill- time to step up, your country needs you

Recommended Posts

Was right behind the bowler in the stadium yesterday and as I saw Indian wickets fall like a house of cards, I couldn’t help but think had we had a slightly more competent batting order- we would have walked away with that game. Vijay near retirement, Dhawan never was a test opener and Chepu struggles overseas. You can’t do worse than get out for 10-15 odd runs. At least with a youngster we will be investing for the future ie they can learn from their failures. I think there’s enough data on our current top order to know that they will never be solid, let alone gun overseas batsmen. Shubman Gill looks ready with a game set up for test cricket. Something radical is required.

Edited by mancalledsting

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Was right behind the bowler in the stadium yesterday and as I saw Indian wickets fall like a house of cards, I couldn’t help but think had we had a slightly more competent batting order- we would have walked away with that game. Vijay near retirement, Dhawan never was a test opener and Chepu struggles overseas. You can’t do worse than get out for 10-15 odd runs. At least with a youngster we will be investing for the future ie they can learn from their failures. I think there’s enough data on our current top order to know that they will never be solid, let alone gun overseas batsmen. Shubman Gill looks ready with a game set up for test cricket. Something radical is required.

     Mate .. it won't happen  that soon. 

    1. He will have to play coming full domestic season. 

    2. Then he will be in A test teams .

    3. Will have to complete atleast 2 overseas tours and succeed .

     Only then he will be considered .

     This may mean only in 2020. 

     This may be very near to reality based on present selection process followed . 

     I think Nair, Vihari will get their chance first in middle order. 

     and for openers  Mayank , Shaw will be considered , one of them will come in by next series .  

  

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Was right behind the bowler in the stadium yesterday and as I saw Indian wickets fall like a house of cards, I couldn’t help but think had we had a slightly more competent batting order- we would have walked away with that game. Vijay near retirement, Dhawan never was a test opener and Chepu struggles overseas. You can’t do worse than get out for 10-15 odd runs. At least with a youngster we will be investing for the future ie they can learn from their failures. I think there’s enough data on our current top order to know that they will never be solid, let alone gun overseas batsmen. Shubman Gill looks ready with a game set up for test cricket. Something radical is required.

He is too young and very inexperienced to play in these conditions. And Test match batting is way harder than LOIs. Let him play one more domestic season and A matches and then we can hype him up for test matches. Mayank and Vihari are ahead of him in the queue.

Share this post


Link to post

By the time he comes, he'll be completely ruined by showbiz.
Already he's a part of the srk-kjo cartel which is toxic and has begin his modelling Creds.
Media will cream their pants for a piece of shubman even more than they did for Kohli+Pandya+KL

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

By the time he comes, he'll be completely ruined by showbiz.
Already he's a part of the srk-kjo cartel which is toxic and has begin his modelling Creds.
Media will cream their pants for a piece of shubman even more than they did for Kohli+Pandya+KL

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk
 

 

Can you please not bring the same showbiz angle to each and every cricket thread.

 

If your interest lies only in the off the field and non-cricketing aspects of the players, may be create a separate exclusive thread for that kind of a discussion.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I feel Shubman and Prithvi should be in the squad for next test series. It's not like they are going to do poorly than the hyped FTB's that are currently playing tests. Problem is there is too much weightage on experience and more so repeated faith on experienced batsmen who were supposed to fail in SA and some bowling friendly wickets in England. Can they really average worse than the current batch. Why not look for all weather batsmen who can carry the team in all conditions. We need batsmen who perform in tough conditions.  

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, mancalledsting said:

Was right behind the bowler in the stadium yesterday and as I saw Indian wickets fall like a house of cards, I couldn’t help but think had we had a slightly more competent batting order- we would have walked away with that game. Vijay near retirement, Dhawan never was a test opener and Chepu struggles overseas. You can’t do worse than get out for 10-15 odd runs. At least with a youngster we will be investing for the future ie they can learn from their failures. I think there’s enough data on our current top order to know that they will never be solid, let alone gun overseas batsmen. Shubman Gill looks ready with a game set up for test cricket. Something radical is required.

He is a brilliant talent but I believe he has not played any 4 day games.I can see him being in the team after the 2019 WC when we will need new faces.But really love his attitude guy can be our mainstay for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

too early, too many expectation.  these guys wont last an over on a pitch like Edgebaston

:hatsoff:Top post this even the likes of Pant may have faltered against Broad and Anderson in Edgbaston and also as you have said a lot of times Rahul or Pant are on their first tour we should have low expectations from them.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

:hatsoff:Top post this even the likes of Pant may have faltered against Broad and Anderson in Edgbaston and also as you have said a lot of times Rahul or Pant are on their first tour we should have low expectations from them.

yes and the reason being this is a different era.  it is not easy to switch from T20 to tests with playing much 4-day cricket behind. there was a time 20-30 years back, when batsmen used to prepare for test cricket and ODIs were secondary when likes of Dravid debuted. those guys were fully concentrated on tests.  Now i give an example of Rahul. when he debuted in Aus, he scored a 100 in his 2nd test and his approach was completely different in that innings. he was not a T20 star back then. he will have to get back to test mode again.  his first innings showed he was still in t20 mode.  2nd innings he looked better but got a peach.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yes and the reason being this is a different era.  it is not easy to switch from T20 to tests with playing much 4-day cricket behind. there was a time 20-30 years back, when batsmen used to prepare for test cricket and ODIs were secondary when likes of Dravid debuted. those guys were fully concentrated on tests.  Now i give an example of Rahul. when he debuted in Aus, he scored a 100 in his 2nd test and his approach was completely different in that innings. he was not a T20 star back then. he will have to get back to test mode again.  his first innings showed he was still in t20 mode.  2nd innings he looked better but got a peach.

We werent that great back then ether.In 96 we had rathour, jadeja opening the inning and then mongia got pushed up to open .Dravid was an exception and ganguly was very good with his square drives which helped his cause ,most batsmen go for cover drive and edge the ball when it's swinging.

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

Bro @mancalledsting is a brilliant poster and he is right we do need the likes of Gill,Shaw or few other youngsters in the near future.

But that thing you are quoting is no human, just a powered bot which works on NLP (natural language processing)now  he does understand certain words but doesn't understand the context n yeaa he also doesn't understand cricket.

Can you see #ggmu on bot @Rasgullas profile?? That shows bot was actually designed for triggering football discussion since not many posters here are interested in discussing football, but some dhoni fan installed 'pro-dhoni.exe' file in bots system n since then it has become a complete dhoni parrot n hates anyone who criticize dhoni, how good n sensible that poster may be it doesn't matter to his CPU.

Share this post


Link to post



He is a brilliant talent but I believe he has not played any 4 day games.I can see him being in the team after the 2019 WC when we will need new faces.But really love his attitude guy can be our mainstay for years to come.


Nah until Kohli is there,we don't think we'll have a very new team.
People who are thinking the likes of Gill are going to be in the team post 19WC, then you people are seeing wet dreams.
At most only Iyer, Shaw and Pant will have chances.
Especially Shaw - given Kohli's attitude, he's more likely to retain Dinesh Kartik for a while and then go for Sanju Samson if he improves enough.
But I do think only these have sure shot chances to break into the team-Dhawan I don't think will stick until 2023 and so will Rahane, Raina, Manish Pandey.
Mayank Agarwal also has a chance since he's "matured" enough but that will depend on his IPL.
Shami will be replaced by Siraj.
Hardik Pandya will be dropped when Arjun Tendulkar will become ready.
That's the only foolproof place to shield the Prince of Desi Cricket
Bump me here on this thread if my predictions go wrong.






Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:


 

 


Nah until Kohli is there,we don't think we'll have a very new team.
People who are thinking the likes of Gill are going to be in the team post 19WC, then you people are seeing wet dreams.
At most only Iyer, Shaw and Pant will have chances.
Especially Shaw - given Kohli's attitude, he's more likely to retain Dinesh Kartik for a while and then go for Sanju Samson if he improves enough.
But I do think only these have sure shot chances to break into the team-Dhawan I don't think will stick until 2023 and so will Rahane, Raina, Manish Pandey.
Mayank Agarwal also has a chance since he's "matured" enough but that will depend on his IPL.
Shami will be replaced by Siraj.
Hardik Pandya will be dropped when Arjun Tendulkar will become ready.
That's the only foolproof place to shield the Prince of Desi Cricket
Bump me here on this thread if my predictions go wrong.






Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk
 

 

Yup, it's true he prefers to keep backing experience, even if they have a tailender like averages. It is very unlikely he goes a for a change and tries to develop the youngsters for now and future series and build a team of all weather batsmen. Perhaps he thinks there would not be tests which would be played on wickets and conditions where our batsmen will struggle and then when they score of batsmen friendly wickets people will forget the real problems once again. 

Share this post


Link to post



Yup, it's true he prefers to keep backing experience, even if they have a tailender like averages. It is very unlikely he goes a for a change and tries to develop the youngsters for now and future series and build a team of all weather batsmen. Perhaps he thinks there would not be tests which would be played on wickets and conditions where our batsmen will struggle and then when they score of batsmen friendly wickets people will forget the real problems once again. 



Virat hates to lose or take risk (though he ends up losing anyways)
And building team for future?
Hehehe, given the coaching given on this Senior India Team and the emphasis on media work, players actually regress after coming into the team.
Also, personal agenda motivated by marketing and stardom works behind Virat's strange decisions
Haven't you seen how we are having good bowlers but crap batsmen?
So much so that Virat can appear to the audience as the only Saviour of his teamn
He's reinforcing the thought by blaming his players In Press Conference.
He is thinking he can get the same love as Sachin by making everybody think that he is the sole warrior of the team while the others are idiots.
However, he's forgetting that he's the captain of the team-and after what Ganguly and Dhoni did, people expect more from him in this regard.
People know it is he who is to be blamed for wrong decisions - and the IPL is there for people to see how Kohli is himself selecting the wrong people despite there being real talents who can actually succeed.
The burden of captaincy is eventually killing his reputation.
No matter how much century he scores and dedicates them to Anushka-he'll go down in the public's mind as India's Worst Captain if he doesn't win at least one WC.
People don't give **** at Asia Cup since they know India is a beast in the subcontinent.


Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

yes and the reason being this is a different era.  it is not easy to switch from T20 to tests with playing much 4-day cricket behind. there was a time 20-30 years back, when batsmen used to prepare for test cricket and ODIs were secondary when likes of Dravid debuted. those guys were fully concentrated on tests.  Now i give an example of Rahul. when he debuted in Aus, he scored a 100 in his 2nd test and his approach was completely different in that innings. he was not a T20 star back then. he will have to get back to test mode again.  his first innings showed he was still in t20 mode.  2nd innings he looked better but got a peach.

 

This is what I keep saying.

 

The biggest challenge for the modern day batter is to juggle between the 3 formats and adjust their games accordingly.

 

Getting rid of T20 bad habits is not easy while playing tests.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:


 

 

 


Virat hates to lose or take risk (though he ends up losing anyways)
And building team for future?
Hehehe, given the coaching given on this Senior India Team and the emphasis on media work, players actually regress after coming into the team.
Also, personal agenda motivated by marketing and stardom works behind Virat's strange decisions
Haven't you seen how we are having good bowlers but crap batsmen?
So much so that Virat can appear to the audience as the only Saviour of his teamn
He's reinforcing the thought by blaming his players In Press Conference.
He is thinking he can get the same love as Sachin by making everybody think that he is the sole warrior of the team while the others are idiots.
However, he's forgetting that he's the captain of the team-and after what Ganguly and Dhoni did, people expect more from him in this regard.
People know it is he who is to be blamed for wrong decisions - and the IPL is there for people to see how Kohli is himself selecting the wrong people despite there being real talents who can actually succeed.
The burden of captaincy is eventually killing his reputation.
No matter how much century he scores and dedicates them to Anushka-he'll go down in the public's mind as India's Worst Captain if he doesn't win at least one WC.
People don't give **** at Asia Cup since they know India is a beast in the subcontinent.


Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk
 

 

 

Well i would say that he prefers taking repeated risks with experienced players who keep flopping miserably in some conditions than taking risks with novices. Change seems very difficult under him.

 

He would keep backing a set of experienced batsmen who average 40 - 45 in career but then who average less than 10 or 20 in tough conditions. However, he will not opt for novices over them.

Edited by Straight Drive

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Well i would say that he prefers taking repeated risks with experienced players who keep flopping miserably in some conditions than taking risks with novices. Change seems very difficult under him.

he does not think that is a risk because he thinks they are experienced and have done before know how do it again.  Risks is always about picking unknown quantities.

Share this post


Link to post
Well i would say that he prefers taking repeated risks with experienced players who keep flopping miserably in some conditions than taking risks with novices. Change seems very difficult under him.
 
He would keep backing a set of experienced batsmen who average 40 - 45 in career but then who average less than 10 or 20 in tough conditions. However, he will not opt for novices over them.
Well this one can get a bit Illuminati-esque but Virat seems to be an insecure, paranoid, psychotic, obsessive persona with a massively inflated ego.
He's basically like those ceramic items which are labelled "too fragile to handle without care".
This type of people are basically unable to handle fame and power and needs huge number of ass lickers to dance to their whims.
People who have interacted with Kohli all have said he's a Megalomaniac without common sense.
While I agree even Dhoni has an inflated ego and hangs around with his own coterie (thus leading to "CSK Quota"),he is not a fragile , insecure personality In anyways.
He knows how to play the game well.
That's why he came back after being shunted out of captaincy by people who were his enemies and managed to win the trust of Kohli.

The likes of Rahane Hardik, Dhawan, Rohit , Bumrah , Chahal, Kuldeep, Manish Pandey, DK - they all massage Kohli's ego to keep him sane and get favours from him.
Kohli has problems trusting people but he's a novice in political manipulations in front of Dhoni (and he knows that, that is one of the main reasons of his insecurity), so he is trying to form his own circle of influence some political powers of his own.

He's also much more comfortable with these guys TBF.
Also, the thought of another player emerging who can beat him in the endorsement line likely sends shivers down his spine .
We have seen his unusual jealousy towards Ranveer Singh who is coming up the ladders to dethrone Kohli as India's Brand Ambassador king.
And ultimately , he fears that he'll be blamed as a captain If a rank newbie debuts and messes up the match.
He knows he can't groom a potential talent and utilise him properly unlike Dhoni, Rohit and Even rahane.

Basically Kohli very well knows about his tactical limitations as a captain and an administrator- but is afraid to give up his captaincy because he probably feels if he admits his shortcomings, he'll get bashed.
Also power ki nasha.
He's not even a shrewd brain like Sachin who builds his influence circle inside BCCI without being a captain.


Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think he has played any first class game. 

I don't know how can people mention his name along with Shaw who has done well at every level he has played.

Let him play a season of first class then only we can see if has it in him to play test cricket.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×