Rahane has to perform if this team has to win the matches overseas

He bats at most crucial position considering how all teams are preparing bowling friendly conditions which relatively becomes easier after 30-40 overs. 

That's the position where a proper batsman is needed who can survive hostile spells and shield tail enders too. Scoring at quick rate also helps. 

If he fails, it's difficult to imagine team winning the match. 

27 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He bats at 5 at a position where things become little easier to bat. Not facing new ball too.

Yeah and that's the time to cash in. If conditions are similar, top 4 will struggle from both sides. Difference will be how much no 5 to no 11 score from both sides.

38 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Yeah and that's the time to cash in. If conditions are similar, top 4 will struggle from both sides. Difference will be how much no 5 to no 11 score from both sides.

It always has been in England and SA. Top order is obviously going to struggle but batsmen below have to come to the party as that's the easier time to bat. #5-6-7 are so crucial in such conditions.

11 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It always has been in England and SA. Top order is obviously going to struggle but batsmen below have to come to the party as that's the easier time to bat. #5-6-7 are so crucial in such conditions.

That's why I in favor of playing an extra batsman at no 7 instead of Pandya if we continue getting conditions like this.

Rahane + Pandya or any batsman + keeper and Ashwin hold the key.

If Karthik doesn't perform with bat, then it would be better to try Pant.

33 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

That's why I in favor of playing an extra batsman at no 7 instead of Pandya if we continue getting conditions like this.

Rahane + Pandya or any batsman + keeper and Ashwin hold the key.

If Karthik doesn't perform with bat, then it would be better to try Pant.

i am in favor of kohli rahul, rahane to bat at 5, 6, 7. That extra batsman isnt going to perform better than Pandya as a batsman alone.  if we drop Pandya, we halt is development. karthik at 3 and Ashwin at 4.

5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i am in favor of kohli rahul, rahane to bat at 5, 6, 7. That extra batsman isnt going to perform better than Pandya as a batsman alone.  if we drop Pandya, we halt is development. karthik at 3 and Ashwin at 4.

Doubt team management would be willing to win "nayee soch" award by following that batting order.

However yes, for once they should try going for 

Vijay

Pujara

Ashwin

Pandya

Kohli

Rahul

Rahane

Pant

But for some reasons teams prefer to lose matches regularly instead of trying something different. Bradman did that in Syndney once and scored 270. Gavaskar dropped himself to no 3 or 4 to strengthen middle order. 

2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Doubt team management would be willing to win "nayee soch" award by following that batting order.

Vijay

Pujara

Ashwin

Pandya

Kohli

Rahul

Rahane

Pant

But for some reasons teams prefer to lose matches regularly instead of trying something different. Bradman did that in Syndney once and scored 270. Gavaskar dropped himself to no 3 or 4 to strengthen middle order. 

test cricket do need to come out of its conservative ways and try new ideas like this. our best batsmen should be batting after 35-40 overs.  

Going by the title of thread....Yes, there were expectations that Ajinkya is the second best player in tough batting conditions based on his home average versus away from home average. But right from 2018 SA tour we can say he is no more giving the performances of the past. He too is moving into FTB category like other batters. We have to move on and replace the current FTB's with youngsters who can be all weather batsmen and that should start when team is selected for next test series. Drop the passengers. 

6 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

Rahane since his last hundred:

v South Africa at Johannesburg - 9 & 48

v England at Edgbaston - 15 & 2

These are the only two games that actually mean anything. The rest were easier opposition and the irony is he did fail in them. But for me it's tours like this that really counts. He has delivered in alien conditions before and I hope he does again.

31 minutes ago, shortbread said:

These are the only two games that actually mean anything. The rest were easier opposition and the irony is he did fail in them. But for me it's tours like this that really counts. He has delivered in alien conditions before and I hope he does again.

Even I want him to do really well but unfortunately as far as chasing is concerned he chokes and goes into his shell.

the unfortunate truth is that there is no one in this team who has performed brilliantly in ENG  , and that shows.Rahane  may play 1 or 2 good inns, but I don't think he is that adaptive to playing swing.His forte is playing more bounce with lesser swing.This is exactly for these reasons that morons Shastri and Kohli need to be kicked on the back side. All these years  till this tour , they never bothered to  test fresh talents .Instead PROVEN hacks like Dhawan,Pujara,Kartik etc got chances after chances. Seems Pant needs to play  instead of Dhawan from 2nd test itself..

Edited by rtmohanlal
On 8/6/2018 at 9:56 AM, Trichromatic said:

Vijay

Pujara

Ashwin

Pandya

Kohli

Rahul

Rahane

Pant

Pujara opening????? Ishant would be better instead