Shaw finds a way to score despite technical flaw in batting

Eighteen-year-old Prithvi Shaw's method of driving through the off side defies the coaching manual. Instead of transferring his weight forward and meeting the pitch of the ball, he usually hangs back with his back leg often falling to the leg side. Karnataka veteran Vinay Kumar exploited this technical weakness when he had him caught at slips with an outswinger during his hat-trick in the Ranji Trophy quarter-final against Mumbai in Nagpur last year.

In the Under-19 World Cup final against Australia at Mount Maunganui in February, Shaw kept reaching out for full away-swingers outside off. Seamer Zak Evans beat his outside edge twice before Shaw threw his hands in the corridor and squeezed two other balls to the off side in the second over of India's chase of 217. After Evans threatened the outside edge, Will Sutherland found it with a perfectly pitched away-swinger. Shaw dragged his back leg down the leg side and his head fell over as he shaped to drive away from the body.

Even on Sunday, when he was playing for India A against South Africa A at the Chinnaswamy Stadium, Shaw was initially tentative outside off. A play and miss here. A stab past the slip cordon there. Seeing the hard, new ball move off the seam, Shaw then opted to shelve the drive in the early exchanges and later nailed them in the arc between point and mid-off once the ball became softer.

"I think [in] the morning session that ball moves here. If you play [out] that first hour, it becomes easier and the ball comes on," Shaw said after play on day two. "Taking the morning session out [is important] and the scoreboard kept moving."

Shaw admitted that he was working on maintaining a stable base, particularly while driving the ball, but wasn't too bothered with his back leg collapsing down the leg side.

"In the practice sessions, I tried to get the back foot across [and not down leg] but it's not happening," Shaw said. "But Rahul [Dravid] sir said, 'it's fine if you're doing that and you're scoring runs'. It's not affecting me while scoring runs. I know it's a mistake but I am still comfortable with my batting."

The drives weren't perfect but they were easy on the eye, leaving a sparse Sunday crowd in Bengaluru chanting "Prithvi! Prithvi! Prithvi!" and the South Africans scratching their heads. Duanne Olivier, Beuran Hendricks, Malusi Siboto, Shaun von Berg, Dane Piedt and Senuran Muthusamy were all crunched through the covers. Just when Shaw seemed set for much more, he misread the turn of an offbreak from Piedt and was bowled through the gate for 136 off 196 balls.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24291680/prithvi-shaw-finds-way-score-technical-flaw-batting

Shaw admitted that he was working on maintaining a stable base, particularly while driving the ball, but wasn't too bothered with his back leg collapsing down the leg side.

"In the practice sessions, I tried to get the back foot across [and not down leg] but it's not happening," Shaw said. "But Rahul [Dravid] sir said, 'it's fine if you're doing that and you're scoring runs'. It's not affecting me while scoring runs. I know it's a mistake but I am still comfortable with my batting."

Good that he is aware about it, gr8 on part of dravid who is not forcing him unlike once sehwag told chappell did to him. 

Its gr8 quality that he is scoring despite these flaws but i still feel its just coz its his 1st season and these are being exploited by the 2nd season. Having said that i dnt see many bowlers around the world who can exploit it ....the way he bats he shud do well in Aus....i get my doubts in england over him. 

Honestly i wanted him to play 1-2 seasons more before he debuts , but the way he is going looks like its time for him to progress to new level specially when their is a vacancy 

I have earmarked this kid some time back, he is special, the purists would argue Steve Smith won't be successful , quick hands, reflex , hand eye coordination Trump's everything.

Shaw, Sarfaraz to me a very very good, unfortunately our cricket establishment is closed to inclusion of talent as I siders are protected

26 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

"In the practice sessions, I tried to get the back foot across [and not down leg] but it's not happening," Shaw said. "But Rahul [Dravid] sir said, 'it's fine if you're doing that and you're scoring runs'. It's not affecting me while scoring runs. I know it's a mistake but I am still comfortable with my batting."

Good that he is aware about it, gr8 on part of dravid who is not forcing him unlike once sehwag told chappell did to him. 

Its gr8 quality that he is scoring despite these flaws but i still feel its just coz its his 1st season and these are being exploited by the 2nd season. Having said that i dnt see many bowlers around the world who can exploit it ....the way he bats he shud do well in Aus....i get my doubts in england over him. 

Honestly i wanted him to play 1-2 seasons more before he debuts , but the way he is going looks like its time for him to progress to new level specially when their is a vacancy 

kab tak first season hi rahega bhai?

14 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

pitch has flattened out for sure ,if this was like a sa pitch they wouldnt be scoring this much .malusi siboto is such an ordinary bowler ,another a quota pick.

yes, Indian pitches usually flattens out after day 1. Very few pitches even if have grass will help pacers throughout the because they are not hard enough and lacks bounce. Dharmashala pitch did against Aus.

Also, SA's emerging team is playing in SL and they have another promising black bowler in that team 20 year old Lutho Sipamla. Though this is their actual A team and emerging team mostly consists of rookies.  The guy is built like bull, looks evener stronger than Rabada and Ngidi. Saw his bowling on SLC site, looked quick.