Rahul Dravid’s advice to Yuzvendra Chahal: ‘Play more red ball cricket’

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/rahul-dravid-s-advice-to-yuzvendra-chahal-play-more-red-ball-cricket/story-HrBUNz7XBtRPqBLWJEDMBN.html

“Chahal is someone the Indian selectors are keen on and they want to see how he does in red-ball cricket because he has not played much. So, it is nice that we gave him a couple of chances and it has worked out nicely. So, the more Chahal plays red-ball cricket, the more experience he will gain. There is no doubt, as we see, that he had got skills, but he needs to play a lot more,” Dravid said.

The legendary batsman is also pleased with the development of players such as Mayank Agarwal and Prithvi Shaw.

“I think they have shown over the last year or so with their performances that they are playing very good cricket. It’s nice to see them developing and growing as players. Whether there is an opportunity or not is not for me to decide. But they have played really well. Mayank Agarwal was quite exceptional in this game and Prithvi has shown continuous improvement in every level he has played,” he told reporters at post-match session.

Praising Mohammad Siraj, who bagged ten wickets against South Africa and helped India A clinch the first unofficial test, Dravid said he has been terrific.

“I think maturity is one thing. Definitely, the way he has bowled in last three to four games for us in England and here has been absolutely terrific. He has taken 26 wickets in last three to four games. Also 10 here. He is maturing and bowling good, and also he is becoming stronger physically,” he said.

“For someone, who has not even played a lot of junior cricket coming up. He has not been really a part of the system. He has played 17 or 18 first class games. So, he is learning.”

“He has played a little bit of IPL and has been in and out. He has not had that much opportunities. The more he plays, the better he will get. I think, this is great and good step,” he said.

“We are trying to create conditions - have more grass on the wicket so that it is bit more challenging for our batsmen while our seamers come into play. This hones their skills and gives them a chance to develop their skills,” Dravid said.

“I see this A series a good bridge between domestic cricket, national and international cricket. It gives boards chance to give exposure to players. So, we work on planning and scheduling to make this happen. It opens up more options for selectors,” he said.

“Our role is to develop young talents and give opportunities to them. Another role we play is to see what are the requirements of the national team and how we can supplant them,” he said.

“Whether it is Murali Vijay or Ajinkya Rahane or Yuzuvendra Chahal, we try to see who can fit the bill of the national selectors.”

“We have organised a triangluar series - there will be 30 players on display when we play one day series and Test matches in Australia and South Africa. So, more of our guys get opportunities to showcase their talents against some of the really talented players of the world, the better,” he said.

Dravid recognizes the fact that given India's talent base, and only 11 spots in the national team, bulk of whom are filled at any given time by "regulars", A team games are crucial in terms of opportunity.  

Hate as much as you want on our board for their ineptness, corruption, laziness etc etc - but I absolutely love the way our board has funded, scheduled and prioritized 'A' team games - home and away.  This will set the foundation for a dominant Indian team all over the world in the years to come.