A guide to following Ind's test tours to SENA

zen

The 1991-92 season was one of the most important for Indian cricket fans. India was going on a what was at that time referred to as the ultimate tour to Australia and NZ where it would be playing the World Series Cup featuring the host Aus and WI, a 5 test series in Aus and then the world cup in Aus-NZ:yess:

Some good things were happening to Indian cricket - Sachin Tendulkar, who could easily have been a senior in my school had debuted for India and made a huge impact on the cricket fans. Earlier, India had toured Pak, which used neutral umpires so India would not blame umpiring if it lost. Ironically (or proving the point on umpiring), Ind drew the test series. India competed nicely in Eng in 1990 too. Lost 0-1 in a 3 test match series because of the loss in the 1st test where Gooch went on to score 333 after More dropped him in his 30s. However, India came back strongly in the ODI series to win it 2-0. The ODIs were 55 overs a side, iirc 

Before departing for Aus, India hosted SA on their return to international cricket.  We won the ODI series 2-1 

Surely the tour to Down Under was India's.  It had Tendulkar, Manjrekar, who was tipped to become the leading scorer for India in tests, 3 all-rounders in Kapil, Prabhakar and Shastri, and so on :yay: 

The world series started with a bang for India. It tied with WI after scoring 126 and beat Aus by over a 100 runs in the next game. India was magical. It was not only going to beat Australia and but also win the world cup :dance: 

Then the lightening stuck. India just managed to sneak in to the final of the World Series, only to lose comfortably to Aus 0-2 in the best of 3 finals. Lost 0-4 in tests. The world cup campaign was a disaster with the victory against Pak being the only solace. There were some superb individual performances but as a team, Ind was not competitive. The Tigers, as a team, were mouses outside their comfort zone

It is 2018. We have crafted a few wins overseas but overall the situation remains similar. Before every tour, there is hype about our super players, who could this or that to win the series. And then the usual disappointment follows. Keeping the trend in mind, below is a guide to follow India's Test (not LOI) tours to SENA to help you to be happy as one dejected fan wrote on the match tracker that he will not follow such tours as seeing India go through the process of losing over 3-5 days is painful:

• Don't expect India to win. Rankings do not usually matter. It is usually not even a favorite to draw the series. More hype that you create, the harder you are likely to fall (and get hurt if the emotional involvement is high) 
  • The test series are to be followed like Gladiator fights where a team of Gladiators is pitched against more fancied opponents. The Gladiators are expected to lose and they eventually do but there are a few highlight performance where they win or compete heroically
  •  The equation on such tours is not about will India win but who will perform heroically, who will be the find of the tour, which youngster can catch the bulls by its horns, etc.
  • Back 2-3 players and enjoy their performances. To prepare for such tours, proactively, if you recall, I had created this thread -> Click 
  • Occasionally, India will craft a test or a series win. And when that happens take it as a bonus  :flute:
  • When the SENA teams tour India, we will :eating:

Over and out!  

Edited by zen

Probably need to ponder, change in captaincy, need to rebuild again, time to discard many of these successor to Tendu and co, time to kick out Dhawan, Vijay, Pujara, Rahane, DK, Rohit.

There is still a severe lack of skills and temperament. 

It's also probably time for likes of LK Rahul, Pandya, Ashwin to go back to domestics and perform to get back in. 

Batting performance since SA tour this year:

Player Mat Inns NO  
Runs
HS Ave BF SR
V Kohli 7 14 0 830 153 59.28 1429 58.08
CA Pujara 6 12 1 341 132* 31 964 35.37
HH Pandya 7 14 1 283 93 21.76 461 61.38
AM Rahane 5 10 0 277 81 27.7 620 44.67
R Ashwin 6 12 2 216 38 21.6 321 67.28
S Dhawan 4 8 0 190 44 23.75 313 60.7
KL Rahul 6 12 0 143 36 11.91 274 52.18
M Vijay 5 10 0 128 46 12.8 434 29.49
B Kumar 2 4 1 101 33 33.66 252 40.07
Mohammed Shami 7 14 2 98 28 8.16 130 75.38
RG Sharma 2 4 0 78 47 19.5 190 41.05
PA Patel 2 4 0 56 19 14 118 47.45
I Sharma 6 11 3 47 14 5.87 137 34.3
RR Pant 2 4 0 43 24 10.75 98 43.87
KD Karthik 2 4 0 21 20 5.25 58 36.2

Anyways from the 4 overseas tour (SA, Eng, Aus, NZ), the England one was the one I felt most winnable and also a headline series considering five Tests, England gives full attention to Tests, lot build up to this series. What damper, series over before last match just like the SA series.

Ranked number 1 :hysterical: give me a break.

Anyways, I am out following these bunch of prima donnas, inflated self-worth half celebs, and pig sh!te of a coach and selection committee. 

Will be back during World Cup 2019, unless captain is sacked and new coach brought in.

1 minute ago, chewy said:

Anyways from the 4 overseas tour (SA, Eng, Aus, NZ), the England one was the one I felt most winnable and also a headline series considering five Tests, England gives full attention to Tests, lot build up to this series. What damper, series over before last match just like the SA series.

Anyways, I am out following these bunch of prima donnas, inflated self-worth half celebs, and pig sh!te of a coach and selection committee. 

Will be back during World Cup 2019, unless captain is sacked and new coach brought in.

Read about the 1992 series to Down Under in the OP :lol:

4 minutes ago, chewy said:

The saddest part is we will beat WI and SL again (whitewash them) and suddenly we will be going gaga over our rankings and these maharathis. All the while, my English/ Aussie friends laugh at us (its always a gone conclusion before any test series that we will lose it anyway). 

Infact, I believe, Pakistan had better performances in England especially batting. Ours batters should be ashamed of themselves. This match was there for the taking. 100 runs lead in the 1st innings could have sealed it then and there.

14 minutes ago, zen said:

Read about the 1992 series to Down Under in the OP :lol:

:lol: didn't read most the paragraphs, just the bullet points, am not sure who was dejected poster, probably @Gollum :hysterical: (but fortunately he follows other sports too!)

Your points are valid to an extent, but the way the tour schedule works, every series defeat in SENA only prolongs India's horrible record in these countries. Continuing since 2011!

Yes, I am aware the white teams are even more pathetic when touring Asia, but seeing all the prep in the background A tours, pace academy, a competitive Ranji, decent group of pace bowlers, all the talk about winning overseas...then we get some mind boggling selection of starting XI (drop Bhuvi, drop Pujara, play Rohit, pick two spinners at Lords etc.), equally moronic captaincy, and then final nail in the coffin moments average players like Curran, Butler, Moeen winning games against India.

18 minutes ago, Tridibans_16 said:

The saddest part is we will beat WI and SL again (whitewash them) and suddenly we will be going gaga over our rankings and these maharathis. All the while, my English/ Aussie friends laugh at us (its always a gone conclusion before any test series that we will lose it anyway). 

Infact, I believe, Pakistan had better performances in England especially batting. Ours batters should be ashamed of themselves. This match was there for the taking. 100 runs lead in the 1st innings could have sealed it then and there.

Yep.

Also on Pakistan, Pakistan played three warm-up games before their two test series vs England.

Two of the warm-up games were proper 4 day First Class games.

On English/Aussie guys laughing like the English broadcasters, these whiteys are letting out steam for the uber bashing they get in India, SL, UAE(Pak) and nowadays Bangladesh too. For f eck sakes, England lost a Test vs Bangladesh :hysterical: