Shoaib axed from Pentangular Cup

Feed

The future of Pakistan cricket's bad boy is as dark as it has ever been, as he is sacked from his regional side for indiscipline, poor performance and negative influence. More... Shoaib Akhtar's ongoing war with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) took yet another twist with the fast bowler sacked as captain and removed from the regional side he was leading in the Pentangular Cup. Shoaib, however, insists that he is opting out of the tournament for personal reasons. Shoaib had been asked by the PCB to take part in the tournament, as captain of the Federal Capital Areas (FCA) team, to prove his fitness for future international matches. He led his side to a draw against Punjab in the first round of matches, though only bowled 18 wicketless overs in short spells as FCA's bowling was hammered by Salman Butt. The decision to sack him, sources confirmed to Cricinfo, was taken by the FCA team management, citing poor performance, indiscipline and the negative influence he has on team-mates. The decision will raise eyebrows in any case, but moreso as it comes in the wake of a continuing spat between Shoaib and the board. Shoaib has been openly critical of the board's policies, particularly in awarding central contracts, for which he was overlooked. He has also publicly refused to respond to the board's demands for an explanation of his comments, arguing that as he wasn't contracted to them, he isn't bound to answer to them. If he is found guilty of indiscipline or breaching the players' code of conduct, he could well be gone from Pakistan cricket, as he is already on a two-year probation period, in which any indiscretion could result in an automatic life ban. Shoaib, however, told Dawn, a leading daily, that he was opting out because of his sister's wedding. "I am busy in my sister's wedding, therefore, at the moment I am not available for any more matches and am not sure if I will be free for the last match of the cup also."

Shoaib hopeful of winning back PCB contract NEW DELHI: Amid reports that he was facing life-ban from the Pakistan Cricket Board for breaching its code of conduct, Shoaib Akhtar on Friday said he was hopeful of winning the Board's confidence back. Shoaib also rubbished reports which said he was due to align with the rebel Indian Cricket League because he would not be eligible for the Indian Premier League following his differences with the Board. "My absolute priority in my cricket career has always been to take wickets for Pakistan and help my country win matches. I am hopeful of entering a new contract with my Board very soon," he said. Shoaib also dismissed recent speculation surrounding his involvement in the Indian Premier League. "My commitment to the DLF IPL is absolute. There is a lot of talk flying around players at the moment regarding the new Twenty20 competitions, but I have signed with the IPL and I am so excited about the upcoming bid process and finding out which franchisee I will play for," he said in a statement issued by the IPL organisers here. Akhtar's commitment to this is underlined by the fact that he will travel to India in the early part of next week to hold talks with franchises ahead of the player bid process in Mumbai on February 20, which he will also attend. "I can't wait to be allocated to a City and Franchise. My contract with them will be a three year deal initially, so I am in it for the long haul. I cannot wait to interact with the local fan base and become one of their 'own' players," Shoaib said. "If I am able to win even a fraction of the 'love' the Indian people have for their players it will be amazing. And I will be giving everything I can to try and achieve that for the next 3 years and hopefully beyond," he added. His Agent David Ligertwood of Essentially Group, the international sports business, that has signed around 20 players to the IPL, will accompany Akhtar to India. "This is an exciting week for Shoaib and all other players contracted to the IPL. We have just agreed the long form player contract, which Shoaib and all other players will sign in the next 48 hours. We are now waiting to find out on the 20th city and which franchise will Shoaib service." --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :D