Time is running out for KL Rahul

Gollum

Have always been a big supporter of Rahul on this forum so need to get this off my chest.

Huge talent, athletic, great hand-eye, good technique, pleasing to the eye, peak age, has mental reserves (mental midgets can't do what he did against Australia in 2017)....yet somehow is under-performing . I agree team selections in 2016-17 hit him hard and his own injuries didn't help matters, but what he has done of late is his own doing.

T20s->only format where he seems to thrive. Flat pitches, cannon fodder bowlers, no need of thinking because of the instinctive nature of the format.....he has done extremely well yet been shabbily treated by management, so no complaints. I personally don't care about T20s so am not aware of his flaws there.

T50S-> Ill treated by management who prefer talentless hacks and pensioners in the middle order. KLR can't break through into top 3 without high quality performances in whatever limited chances he gets. But agree he has been very inconsistent and unambitious. Seems to lose focus after 5 minutes and plays idiotic shots to get out. Potential is there but underwhelming. If he wants to force his way into a preffered slot (top 3) he needs to prove his pedigree first. Again I don't care about T50s but whatever little I have seen he has big issues w.r.t shot selection. 

Tests-> My main point of worry. I thought he would derive great confidence from 2017 Aus series but never really kicked on. Got injured here and there but even in home matches after that he lazily threw away his good starts. Can't afford to be so complacent, needs to have the killer instinct and take more responsibility. His last test 100 was against England in 2016. When he first emerged on the scene he would either deal in 100s or single digits. Had 100s in his 1st series in Aus, WI, Lanka (2015)..all tough places to bat for a youngster. But now he deals in 50s (home) or <10 scores (overseas). Where is the hunger? In SA and England across 4 tests he has done zilch, zero discipline and sheer lack of courage and tenacity. Vijay had a 45 and a vital 25 in SA, Che had an important 50 in Jo'berg, Rahane did well in Jo'berg....KLR is the only batsman who didn't cross 16 even once in 8 attempts !!!! That is huge injustice to his talent. His poor shot selection compounded by the urge to feel the deliveries early on have wrecked his reputation. Where is the goddamn patience? Can't get away with those loose pokes and leg glances of straight deliveries like in the subcontinent. Very poor idea about his own game and now a confidence crisis to add. This series may break his career if he doesn't wake up. He has the technique and the shots, just needs to see off the 1st 30 odd deliveries before going for them. He is primarily born to dominate like Aravinda, Ponting, KP but doesn't respect the conditions like them first up. No reason why he can't turn around his test career like Kohli did in 2014-15 Australia. But will he?

The real concerning part is his **** attitude. He is more busy modelling and attending Page 3 events these days compared to trying to sort out his game. The laziness is discernibly visible in the way he is batting off late. Spending too much time with Pandya, wannabe attempts at coolness, dating C grade Bollywood starlets, playing peekaboo with paparazzi etc seem to occupy most of his attention. Kid is from Bengaluru, he can invest that time in NCA or talking batting with the likes of Dravid and Vishy, fine gents who will definitely have solid advice. Kohli after 2014 England spent time in the nets with SRT, Dravid and nobody is a harder worker than him, KLR wants to imitate VK's off field persona without going through the on field grind like his captain. The results are there in front of us, he is slowly moving towards the path of irrelevance. If that's what he wants he will fail not just himself but also Indian cricket which is in desperate shortage of quality batsmen. About time higher ups have a few tough words with him, the worst sin anyone can commit is throw away one's innate talent and such people deserve zero sympathy. 

His contemporaries like Chandimal, Markram, Bairstow, Kock, Babar Azam etc may not have his talent but will very soon steal a march on him if he continues to remain a headcase. 

Edited by Gollum
His time is already over.

Whole team has modelling competition going on. Rahul doesn't want to be left out.

If "bar and pub" coach selected by captain could set up fighting for cricket environment then only someone would try to do that.
Model?? None of them look good...if anything Rahul looks pretty unhygenic with those taatoos etc. And they consider them models?? LMAO :facepalm:

Look at Woakes...he is a handsome lad in real world. But focus more on game than looks/which actor to date etc. The last handsome cricketer India had was Rahul Dravid.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No point moaning. No batsman can do anything in these conditions against this attack. Just accept it and move on. 
That is not true. Yes it was tough in 1st innings but ball was not swinging much today. Rahul missed a straight ball which Woakes was defending whole day. Rahane got out chasing a wide one. None of them were unplayable deliveries.

Model?? None of them look good...if anything Rahul looks pretty unhygenic with those taatoos etc. And they consider them models?? LMAO facepalm.gif

Look at Woakes...he is a handsome lad in real world. But focus more on game than looks/which actor to date etc. The last handsome cricketer India had was Rahul Dravid.

Dude you just typed out my words.
I think Pant and Shardul Thakur look handsome in the squad.
Pant has a cute, innocent look to him.
Will be a good plus sized model.

Woakes' smile just charmed me!!
Even Broad and Curran are good looking.
Anderson was also considered hot back in his younger days.

The rest of the Indian team is not good looking at all but still can improve their looks by 2 grades if they clean shave and wear more normal clothes and at last - don't behave like a wannabe

Ganguly was good looking too.
Yeah, Rahul Dravid is 45 but still hasn't aged much.
He's a true example of a good looking guy.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Have always been a big supporter of Rahul on this forum so need to get this off my chest.

Huge talent, athletic, great hand-eye, good technique, pleasing to the eye, peak age, has mental reserves (mental midgets can't do what he did against Australia in 2017)....yet somehow is under-performing . I agree team selections in 2016-17 hit him hard and his own injuries didn't help matters, but what he has done of late is his own doing.

T20s->only format where he seems to thrive. Flat pitches, cannon fodder bowlers, no need of thinking because of the instinctive nature of the format.....he has done extremely well yet been shabbily treated by management, so no complaints. I personally don't care about T20s so am not aware of his flaws there.

T50S-> Ill treated by management who prefer talentless hacks and pensioners in the middle order. KLR can't break through into top 3 without high quality performances in whatever limited chances he gets. But agree he has been very inconsistent and unambitious. Seems to lose focus after 5 minutes and plays idiotic shots to get out. Potential is there but underwhelming. If he wants to force his way into a preffered slot (top 3) he needs to prove his pedigree first. Again I don't care about T50s but whatever little I have seen he has big issues w.r.t shot selection. 

Tests-> My main point of worry. I thought he would derive great confidence from 2017 Aus series but never really kicked on. Got injured here and there but even in home matches after that he lazily threw away his good starts. Can't afford to be so complacent, needs to have the killer instinct and take more responsibility. His last test 100 was against England in 2016. When he first emerged on the scene he would either deal in 100s or single digits. Had 100s in his 1st series in Aus, WI, Lanka (2015)..all tough places to bat for a youngster. But now he deals in 50s (home) or <10 scores (overseas). Where is the hunger? In SA and England across 4 tests he has done zilch, zero discipline and sheer lack of courage and tenacity. Vijay had a 45 and a vital 25 in SA, Che had an important 50 in Jo'berg, Rahane did well in Jo'berg....KLR is the only batsman who didn't cross 16 even once in 8 attempts !!!! That is huge injustice to his talent. His poor shot selection compounded by the urge to feel the deliveries early on have wrecked his reputation. Where is the goddamn patience? Can't get away with those loose pokes and leg glances of straight deliveries like in the subcontinent. Very poor idea about his own game and now a confidence crisis to add. This series may break his career if he doesn't wake up. He has the technique and the shots, just needs to see off the 1st 30 odd deliveries before going for them. He is primarily born to dominate like Aravinda, Ponting, KP but doesn't respect the conditions like them first up. No reason why he can't turn around his test career like Kohli did in 2014-15 Australia. But will he?

The real concerning part is his **** attitude. He is more busy modelling and attending Page 3 events these days compared to trying to sort out his game. The laziness is discernibly visible in the way he is batting off late. Spending too much time with Pandya, wannabe attempts at coolness, dating C grade Bollywood starlets, playing peekaboo with paparazzi etc seem to occupy most of his attention. Kid is from Bengaluru, he can invest that time in NCA or talking batting with the likes of Dravid and Vishy, fine gents who will definitely have solid advice. Kohli after 2014 England spent time in the nets with SRT, Dravid and nobody is a harder worker than him, KLR wants to imitate VK's off field persona without going through the on field grind like his captain. The results are there in front of us, he is slowly moving towards the path of irrelevance. If that's what he wants he will fail not just himself but also Indian cricket which is in desperate shortage of quality batsmen. About time higher ups have a few tough words with him, the worst sin anyone can commit is throw away one's innate talent and such people deserve zero sympathy. 

His contemporaries like Chandimal, Markram, Bairstow, Kock, Babar Azam etc may not have his talent but will very soon steal a march on him if he continues to remain a headcase. 

Err Bhai I think the players you mentioned have already left him behind.

19 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Model?? None of them look good...if anything Rahul looks pretty unhygenic with those taatoos etc. And they consider them models?? LMAO :facepalm:

Rahul model :laugh: One can say a popular cricketer but model. Ek se ek zampu dikhte hai. batting ka standard to sabne gira diya hai, ab modelling ka to mat girao. 

28 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

No point moaning. No batsman can do anything in these conditions against this attack. Just accept it and move on. 

Chris Woakes of all people scored a century in these conditions.

If our batsmen tried to apply themselves they could have done a LOT.

For the love of God, learn to criticise them for once and not play devil's advocate all the time.

1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

Rahul model :laugh: One can say a popular cricketer but model. Ek se ek zampu dikhte hai. batting ka standard to sabne gira diya hai, ab modelling ka to mat girao. 

I wouldn't have believed it myself either but go to his Instagram page and you would realize he seriously considers himself one.

Him and that bhikhari Pandya.

1 minute ago, Stradlater said:

Chris Woakes of all people scored a century in these conditions.

If our batsmen tried to apply themselves they could have done a LOT.

For the love of God, learn to criticise them for once and not play devil's advocate all the time.

Our batsmen didn't get to face Indian bowlers. There's a lot difference between the quality of the bowlers both teams faced. 

Id rather persist with raul and possibly bat him down the order in SENA conditions,he's better off at #5 .in Australia,nzl he can do well at #3 . 

Raul shouldn't be discarded so easily ,give him this full overseas cycle ,it's not as if we have plethora of backups 

2 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Our batsmen didn't get to face Indian bowlers. There's a lot difference between the quality of the bowlers both teams faced. 

Bhai aise to excuses banate raho phir hamesha. Their batting lineup wasn't exactly earth shattering either with many passengers in the team and yet we couldn't do jack.

Fact of the matter is we failed to exploit the conditions ripe for fast bowling and allowed lower order batsmen to dominate and snatch the game away from us.

This team deserves every bit of criticism directed at it.

i think leave apart vijay and dhawan nobody needs to be dropped. i am sympathetic to karthik and have a slight bias , so i would want to give him one more chance as a batsman before discarding him for eternity from tests.

rahane and pujara have 3 more chances. let pant come in for vijay and lets do some out of the box thinking for openers.

if the next 3 are washouts as well from a batting standpoint, then we should look ahead and get the next 4 - mayank,shaw,vihari and possibly gill . even if they fail no problem.

i feel pant is a certainity going forward. let pant play the next 8 tests. ( 3 here and 5 in australia). 

DK - one more chance( a century needed in 3rd test)

pujara - 3 more ( at least one century and a 50 required from 6 innings )

Rahane - 3 more ( at least one century and a 50 required from 6 innings )

KL rahul - 3 more ( at least one century and a 50 required from 6 innings )

pant - no expectations( 3 50s in 16 possible  innings would be awesome)

1 hour ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

That is not true. Yes it was tough in 1st innings but ball was not swinging much today. Rahul missed a straight ball which Woakes was defending whole day. Rahane got out chasing a wide one. None of them were unplayable deliveries.

This happens when ball moves both ways. Did you even see how the ball swung to Kohli and Karthik?