Cricket Equipment advice

Mods, if this is the wrong place kindly relocate the thread as necessary.

I could not find any thread on a similar topic, hence!

Advice for plastic/fibre practice cricket ball.

A season or two back during the winter indoor sessions (in Scotland), a player was hit on the head with a hard ball causing severe permanent damage. To cut the long story short the council has since banned using leather balls for indoor practice since. Therefore I come seeking advice on a replacement ball and would really appreciate and guidance on the matter.

The first priority is it cannot be a regular leather ball. At the moment we use Bolla bowling machine balls, which kind of make-do but are a poor replacement. The bowlers do not get a feel of gripping the seam and it's not the same size. We have a couple of mates travelling to India for holidays and therefore considering buying an alternative while there, especially since there will be plenty of options.

Would anyone know/advice on what would be the closest like for like replacement? Hardness is not an issue (strangely the council is ok with anything as long as it's not a leather ball.....I know and we tried to explain but of no use!). Ideally we are looking for a non-leather senior size ball with weight of regular cricket balls. Also would like something that is hard wearing as it will be used for regular net sessions for 3-4 months.

Thanks!

The only other option is Synthetic cricket ball. 

1. You can use it for fielding drills using Katchet boards. It will cover almost 5 - 7 mtrs.  

2. Will also work with rebound nets with a catching distance of say 3 - 4 mtrs. Will vary on the quality of rebound nets as well.

3. It should work for concrete wickets as well as MAT wickets.

4. Coming to the most important aspect i.e. grip, the seam gives a totally different feel obviously being of very different material. The lines of grips will be more, however the comfort will be less.

I doubt these will work for the normal wickets on which you will be playing 50 over matches. It will be frustrating. Cant imagine playing even a 20 over match on normal wickets with these ones though.

The feel and quality of the sport will be greatly reduced though. 

Edited by Straight Drive
3 hours ago, shortbread said:

Mods, if this is the wrong place kindly relocate the thread as necessary.

I could not find any thread on a similar topic, hence!

Advice for plastic/fibre practice cricket ball.

A season or two back during the winter indoor sessions (in Scotland), a player was hit on the head with a hard ball causing severe permanent damage. To cut the long story short the council has since banned using leather balls for indoor practice since. Therefore I come seeking advice on a replacement ball and would really appreciate and guidance on the matter.

The first priority is it cannot be a regular leather ball. At the moment we use Bolla bowling machine balls, which kind of make-do but are a poor replacement. The bowlers do not get a feel of gripping the seam and it's not the same size. We have a couple of mates travelling to India for holidays and therefore considering buying an alternative while there, especially since there will be plenty of options.

Would anyone know/advice on what would be the closest like for like replacement? Hardness is not an issue (strangely the council is ok with anything as long as it's not a leather ball.....I know and we tried to explain but of no use!). Ideally we are looking for a non-leather senior size ball with weight of regular cricket balls. Also would like something that is hard wearing as it will be used for regular net sessions for 3-4 months.

Thanks!

You are in Scotland?...where about?

4 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

4. Coming to the most important aspect i.e. grip, the seam gives a totally different feel obviously being of very different material. The lines of grips will be more, however the comfort will be less.

I doubt these will work for the normal wickets on which you will be playing 50 over matches. It will be frustrating.

It's for indoor nets batting/bowling practice. Any particular brands, I spotted sg ones on Amazon.

2 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

You are in Scotland?...where about?

Aberdeen

2 hours ago, mishra said:

From experience. ebay it

flipper ball from Duncan Fearnley. the white ones are best.

Will check it out.

Thanks guys

6 hours ago, shortbread said:

It's for indoor nets batting/bowling practice. Any particular brands, I spotted sg ones on Amazon.

Aberdeen

Will check it out.

Thanks guys

Clubsport Dundee 

Owned by Graeme  ( Spider) McLaren...He played for Aberdeenshire many years ago , 

Spider has had cricket equipment business for about 30 years , supplies to cricketers all over Scotland .

Give them them a phone , he will supply you , indoor leagues are played in Dundee during the winter .

2 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

Clubsport Dundee 

Owned by Graeme  ( Spider) McLaren...He played for Aberdeenshire many years ago , 

Spider has had cricket equipment business for about 30 years , supplies to cricketers all over Scotland .

Give them them a phone , he will supply you , indoor leagues are played in Dundee during the winter .

Thanks a lot Tattieboy, much appreciated. I take it you are based in Dundee.

By the way 'Tattie'boy, makes much more sense now. Instead of the veg related name, I thought it meant something totally different, u know in a colloquial Hindi sort of way! :--D

4 minutes ago, shortbread said:

Thanks a lot Tattieboy, much appreciated. I take it you are based in Dundee.

By the way 'Tattie'boy, makes much more sense now. Instead of the veg related name, I thought it meant something totally different, u know in a colloquial Hindi sort of way! :--D

Not Dundee but close to it. 

Yes Tattie as in potato. ( Nickname) 

Will check it out.

Thanks guys
Maker's name is "Total".

You will get two types in it. One will be hard synthetic and other is slightly softer synthetic. If you go for this, it will give you a good replacement to leather ones in terms of bounce. In the hard synthetic the bounce will be better.

The Red ones available in it are Hard Synthetic. The yellow coloured that they sell as Soft Synthetic.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk