DIY culture of west v DIY of India

Trichromatic

We have easy cheap  labor . We can get away with not doing diy.

My husband is brilliant.

Plumbing, electrical work, carpentary, vehicle repairs...

So is my mom . She watches the plumber repair once and next time she does it herself.

My father in law is jugaadu....he has a substitute for everything missing and makes things work...at least for some time.:p:

I can help husband with carpentary work as long as it doesn't involve powertools.

I can do diys involving painting .

Edited by beetle

I can see many people getting disappointed by ikea.

" paise bhi do aur phir khud jodo ":phehe:

Ikea will have to get a huge  workforce of guys to go home and assemble the furniture .

I can also see jugado  people screwing up the assembly " arey do screws kafi hai bhai....baki ke sambhaal kar raho. Kahin aur kaam aayenge " :hysterical:

" yeah screw to kamjor lagta hai. Let me put a stronger bigger one ".

Edited by beetle

19 minutes ago, MechEng said:

DIY culture will always be an alien concept to collectivistic societies. Not just India, there's no DIY in the Far East and Middle East too, except probably for highly indvidualistic societies like Singapore or Hong Kong.

It is more about the availibility of cheap labor .

When we start having trouble getting cheap and fast labor, we will also choose to diy.

5 hours ago, beetle said:

I can see many people getting disappointed by ikea.

" paise bhi do aur phir khud jodo ":phehe:

Ikea will have to get a huge  workforce of guys to go home and assemble the furniture .

most of the shops send installation people and they set it up and give demo these days ..

i bought a microwave long back , one guy came , installed and gave me a 10min demo about how to use :phehe:

15 minutes ago, velu said:

most of the shops send installation people and they set it up and give demo these days ..

i bought a microwave long back , one guy came , installed and gave me a 10min demo about how to use :phehe:

But ikea's selling point is " assemble yourself".

5 minutes ago, chewy said:

bought Fridge, got delivered, then another guy came to demonstrate how to operate a fridge :hysterical: 

did you buy godrej fridge online ?

i bought it long back .. installation people came and installed it first 

then they told that other guy will come and give demo about how to operate the fridge .. 

after they left i switched on and did set the freezer and refrigerator settings .. then called them and told that i dont need any demo :rotfl: 

then they told that other guy will come and give demo about how to operate the fridge .. 
after they left i switched on and did set the freezer and refrigerator settings .. then called them and told that i dont need any demo :rotfl: 
Why do they insist so much on those demos? If only people were as enthusiastic in every other walk of life as these demo guys, India would do wonders. They are literally pestering you to give those demos.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, velu said:

Samsung, online too, Vijay sales, but they got some guy from local Samsung dealer to come in do the demo :lol: