Does Shastri play the scapegoat's role too?

zen

Shastri deserves all the criticism that he receives but my question is how much power and influence does he have on the Indian team? To me, he appears like a "yes man" to Kohli .... If things go well, Kohli gets the credit. If things go bad, Shastri gets the blame .... It works for cricket fans and pundits too as they don't have to criticize Kohli, who is among the most followed and loved cricketers .... Kumble who tried to change things had to make way for Shastri 

So besides being the cheerleader, does Shastri play the scapegoat's role too? 

Edited by zen
2 hours ago, zen said:

Shastri deserves all the criticism that he receives but my question is how much power and influence does he have on the Indian team? To me, he appears like a "yes man" to Kohli .... If things go well, Kohli gets the credit. If things go bad, Shastri gets the blame .... It works for cricket fans and pundits too as they don't have to criticize Kohli, who is among the most followed and loved cricketers .... Kumble who tried to change things had to make way for Shastri 

So besides being the cheerleader, does Shastri play the scapegoat's role too? 

That is the biggest criticism of Shastri- he does nothing. As the English journalist observed, Shastri's presence is ornamental.

And for that he deserves the harshest criticism a coach can get.