Navjot Siddhu in Pakistan

Stradlater

He went there on a personal level, nothing wrong. If 56" can go to Lahore (after Gurdaspur and some other major attack in Kashmir IIRC) and hug people, what wrong did Sidhu do? If Advani can go there and make slights at India's founding fathers why not allow this personal gesture? He went there as a friend of Imran. I guess these cricketers share real bonds with each other after competing for so many years and dedicating their careers to overcoming each other on the turf. Seen this in many sports, with passing age most players develop life long friendship with their one time rivals and on field enemies. Gavaskar flew all the way to Barbados to celebrate Sobers' birthday, Viv is the godfather of Botham's son...when they were rivals no one gave more tears and humiliation to Eng and Botham than King Viv. May be Sidhu is genuinely happy for his friend and wanted to share the occasion. He didn't go there and say something seditious did he? He could have attended his once mentor ABV's funeral but may be the arrangements to go to Pak were made beforehand. 

I wish Kapil and Sunny weren't pressurized to give it a skip. That is intolerance IMO, if someone makes a good gesture you reciprocate it. Remember these guys aren't anti nationals/fixers or connected to Dawood, they gave it their all in their careers, especially against their arch rivals. Nor are they politicians (Sidhu is but he explicitly made it clear that he is going there NOT as a politician), army generals, policy makers or bureaucrats representing India's official stance on Indo-Pak relations. Sambit Patra is a moron who deserves only gaalis...he can justify anything. Tomorrow if Hafiz Saeed is given Indian citizenship and runs for MP seat in the holy town of Varanasi, again this spineless puppy of BJP will be the 1st to defend the move and somehow find a way to shift the blame to Nehru and IG. I am not exaggerating, when SOB Naresh Agrawal (biggest abuser of our Armed Forces) joined BJP, I saw that bastard Patra defending him like his life depended on it. 

Edited by Gollum

6 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Yeah I see it a non issue as well.

I mean they sent dignitaries for Vajpeyee's funeral which I guess made up for it. 

Yup these things are humane gestures. Sidhu went as a friend, they sent dignitaries to ABV's funeral because of the goodwill he generated in Pak during his PM tenure. Totally different from Yasin Malik attending some conference in PoK or Mani Shankar Aiyer going there to spout vitriol against Indian interests...such events will rub me off very very badly. Same if the likes of Mahesh Bhatt, Nandita Das and other Aman ki Tamasha traitors from Bollywood engage with Pak...because Bollywood is a cesspit with Dawood's hand deep in the finances. Such things should be examined on a case by case basis. Felt bad seeing media's aggressive attitude shown towards Kapil Paaji, pretty sure he was forced to pull out under pressure. These rascals needn't give patriotism lectures to our WC winning hero and a man who gave his heart and soul for the country bringing India firmly on the cricket map. 

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

He went there on a personal level, nothing wrong. If 56" can go to Lahore (after Gurdaspur and some other major attack in Kashmir IIRC) and hug people, what wrong did Sidhu do? If Advani can go there and make slights at India's founding fathers why not allow this personal gesture? He went there as a friend of Imran. I guess these cricketers share real bonds with each other after competing for so many years and dedicating their careers to overcoming each other on the turf. Seen this in many sports, with passing age most players develop life long friendship with their one time rivals and on field enemies. Gavaskar flew all the way to Barbados to celebrate Sobers%2

Edited by MechEng

Amid mounting criticism of his behaviour, Sidhu said he had embraced Bajwa after the army chief told him of plans to open the route to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib at Kartarpur in Pakistan for Guru Nanak’s 550th birth in 2019.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/imran-khan-takes-oath-as-pakistan-pm-sidhu-explains-why-he-hugged-army-chief/story-cPmLdgordnR2UKSIzM8JTK.html