Rishabh Pant performance watch thread

tweaker

2 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Not expecting any miracles from him,it's not even certain whether he ll play the next test,I am happy he is trying to play his game,which I think Pandya can take a cue from.Pandya has played some top on drives in the series so far but somehow I feel he has also started believing in this madness he is a premier batsman in this side,which he can never be.

One thing is for sure 1st class stats do tell us something about a player,Pandya has no experience of building an innings or playing a big innings and here he is trying to learn all that playing test cricket.The joke is on us.

Pant if he gets a consistent run,I am pretty sure will be more fruitful because he actually knows a thing or two about scoring tons.

yes, Pandya batted to defensively. He needs to play his normal game and lunging forward every ball, not premeditate, rather play the ball.  In England, batting on backfoot and late is the mantra.

2 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Not expecting any miracles from him,it's not even certain whether he ll play the next test,I am happy he is trying to play his game,which I think Pandya can take a cue from.Pandya has played some top on drives in the series so far but somehow I feel he has also started believing in this madness he is a premier batsman in this side,which he can never be.

One thing is for sure 1st class stats do tell us something about a player,Pandya has no experience of building an innings or playing a big innings and here he is trying to learn all that playing test cricket.The joke is on us.

Pant if he gets a consistent run,I am pretty sure will be more fruitful because he actually knows a thing or two about scoring tons.

But he has already done that in internationals though against srl and bd, still they are better than first class performance.

Looked more at ease batting. Don’t know why he was sent behind Panduboy...

India desperately needs atleast one more left hand batsman in the order. Someone like Gill...

The left right combo does disturbs the bowlers line & length...

England bowlers have been rewarded by sticking to the set line & length.

Whereas our bowlers bowl all over the place...

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yes, Pandya batted to defensively. He needs to play his normal game and lunging forward every ball, not premeditate, rather play the ball.  In England, batting on backfoot and late is the mantra.

Playing back is premeditated 

In England you try to play forward as much as you can , why do you think Kohli was batting outside his crease ?

17 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

Dinesh Karthik scored 21 runs (0,20 & 1,0)  in 4 innings this series.

Rishabh Pant is unbeaten on 13 in his first innings. :cheer:Hope he will cross Karthik's 21 runs in this innings itself.

Surpassed Karthik's score as he is batting unbeaten on 23(25). Think that's curtains for Dinesh Karthik with Rishabh Pant and Saha being the preferred choices henceforth.

3 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Playing back is premeditated 

In England you try to play forward as much as you can , why do you think Kohli was batting outside his crease ?

it does not work like that for everyone.  none of the English batsmen do that. They are all mostly backfoot players.  Pandya had too much premediated front food forward, even got hit on the shoulder and got out to a delivery, he should not have lunged like that.  it was premeditated.  you need to react to the length and then play according to it and not preoccupied about just step forward on every delivery. it limits your scoring range as well.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

it does not work like that for everyone.  none of the English batsmen do that. They are all mostly backfoot players.  Pandya had too much premediated front food forward, even got hit on the shoulder and got out to a delivery, he should not have lunged like that.  it was premeditated.  you need to react to the length and then play according to it and not preoccupied about just step forward on every delivery. it limits your scoring range as well.

You said playing on the backfoit and late is the mantra 

I am saying you play as much as you can on the front foot not every ball . Look how Rahul was out 

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

And most important thing was that he read googly early.

If you don't read the ball, then doesn't matter what shot you play.

If you read the ball early even then you have to execute your shot properly.And yes it does matter what shot you were playing even when you fail to read the ball.

Edited by Pollack
2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Which one?

He means this.

18.2 Bumrah to Root, FOUR, edged and the ball wrongfoots Pant. He was moving to his left and the ball goes the other way. Root is caught on the crease, jabbing at an inslanter, takes the edge and splits Pant and Che. May have just bounced in front of him had he been in his original position

1 minute ago, sarchasm said:

Not sure whose idea it was - an instruction from the brainless team management or Pant himself - but he clearly didn't come out playing his natural game. He was doing what Pandya did last evening, didn't play the way his natural game.

Pant's strength is to always look for scoring opportunities and throw the line and length of bowlers off. This is the game that has brought him here and it'd be foolish if he's asked not to stick with his game.

It has to be the management. If you recall Kohli’s press conference where he spoke about he wants composure from the batsmen, not aggression, or something like that